full ROM or like the pros?

shock

Awards
Lately, I have noticed that most olympia guys (coleman, cutler, etc.) and guys of that upper level don't used full ROM during lifts such as bench press, db press, pull ups, etc. I have always used full ROM and am wondering why those guys don't fully extend their elbows at the top of the motion. I know that locking out takes pressure off the muscle. Is it better to not fully extend and keep the elbows slightly bend at the uppermost part of the rep on lets say bench? These guys are massive so obviously it works for them, but what about the normal guys like us? What is the reasoning behind this, and is it something I should be doing? It seems contrary to everything I've been doing. Lets discuss this. Thanks, John

-I am in no way putting down these people. I am just wondering what the reasoning is behind this. Is it beneficial or better to do full ROM

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
By not locking out, they increase the total time under tension, and by not giving the muscle any break by locking out, they work it harder. As long as somone gets really really close, I think it works better, unless they are training for a sport that requires a lock-out.

ManBeast

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
I find that not locking out on bench until the heaviest set helps save my elbows alot of torment.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They do it to reduce the wear and tear on their joints.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
As was said above leaving a small bend in the elbow gives more time under tension and also saves the joints a little.

Let's take this discussion one step further.

Ever do benching on the floor with DBs?

IMO no need to go further. Before you decide give it a try and see what you think. Or at lease only go until your upper arms are parallel with the floor.

Same thing with squats. if you want to work only your quads don't go to parallel. If you want to bring the hamstrings into play then go further. I would prefer to work my hamstrings with a different exercise.

Opinions?

CROWLER

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1/2 to 3/4 reps have their place on some exercises. If you want to hit your chest hard then only do the bottom 3/4 of the movement because any higher than that the triceps take over. Same thing with shoulder presses. Actually one of the best shoulder exercises(for mass) is only pressing halfway up and is called a bradford press. You do it by pressing the weight up from the same starting position as a regular shoulder press but you only press it high enough to clear your head and then put it behind the neck. I suck at explaning things.lol Anothe example is if you want to blast the triceps you do board presses or lockouts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1/2 to 3/4 reps have their place on some exercises. If you want to hit your chest hard then only do the bottom 3/4 of the movement because any higher than that the triceps take over. Same thing with shoulder presses. Actually one of the best shoulder exercises(for mass) is only pressing halfway up and is called a bradford press. You do it by pressing the weight up from the same starting position as a regular shoulder press but you only press it high enough to clear your head and then put it behind the neck. I suck at explaning things.lol Anothe example is if you want to blast the triceps you do board presses or lockouts.
When I do close grip bench for tris, I only do the top half of the motion to hit the tris as hard as possible.

shock

Awards
Ok, it definately makes more sense now. I will have to start trying this more often. Thanks guys.

BPB

Awards
I have heard theories that the more experienced you are as a lifter, the better the mind/muscle connection and therefore range of motion/form does not play as large of a role int he success of fully stimulating a muscle. Interesting thought...

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I don't always agree with the principle. I mean it's good to sometimes just for the variety and the TUT it provides. But by not doing the core lifts to there full ROM, whether it be bench, squats, CG bench, or any of the other stuff, I think you cheat yourself out of ALOT of great strength/size gains. Doing the exercises to the fullest ROM often increases the number of other muscles that come into play yes, but that's why there called CORE excercises, they are full body workouts that are proven to be effective when adding overall body strength and size.

Basically what it boils down to is that I would only ever use not full lockout rule for any exercises, never would I come down and do the movement half way from the top to the bottom as in going down half way on a squat, or half way on a bench press. I don't think your getting as much out of that as you could. Not to mention they have an exercise already for doing bench that way, it's called rack lockouts :)

Edit: I wanted to come back in and add that this is assuming that you have no physical flexibility problems. If you are 100 percent healthy and flexible then yes, i would always do nothing more than a full ROM. But to the guys that have shoulder problems and things of that nature that dont' go all the way to there chest, you know, they don't wanna be doing it that way either, and I respect that there even in the gym giving it there all.