GVT for those who wanna know.

Powerhouse 48

Powerhouse 48

Awards
GVT training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by charles Polquin:

German Volume Training by Charles Poliquin –

Goals and Guidelines The goal of the German Volume Training method is to complete ten sets of ten reps with the same weight for each exercise. You want to begin with a weight you could lift for 20 reps to failure if you had to. For most people, on most exercises, that would represent 60% of their 1RM load. Therefore, if you can bench press 300 lbs for 1 rep, you would use 180 lbs for this exercise.
For lifters new to this method, I recommend using the following body-part splits:
Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4Day 5Chest & BackLegs & AbsOffArms & ShouldersOff
When using this German Volume Training program or any other, you should keep a detailed journal of the exact sets/reps and rest intervals performed, and only count the repetitions completed in strict form. Here are a few more guidelines to ensure optimal progress:
Rest Intervals: When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue. (Interestingly enough, you might find you get stronger again during the eighth and ninth sets. This is because of a short-term neural adaptation.) Because of the importance of the rest intervals, you should use a stopwatch to keep the rest intervals constant. This is very important, as it becomes tempting to lengthen the rest time as you fatigue.
Tempo: For long-range movements such as squats, dips, and chins, use a 4-0-2 tempo; this means you would lower the weight in four seconds and immediately change direction and lift for two seconds. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 3-0-2 tempo.
Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out, squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 10-20 reps.
Training Frequency: Because German Volume Training is such an intense program, it'll take you longer to recover. In fact, if you're familiar with the writings of Peter Sisco and John Little, you'll find that the average "Power Factor Rating" of the 10-sets method is about 8 billion. Consequently, one training session every four to five days per body part is plenty.
Overload Mechanism: Once you're able to do 10 sets of 10 with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by 4% to 5%, and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives, or burns. The volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolonging techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping.

Beginner / Intermediate German Volume Training Program: Phase 1 This is a sample German Volume Training routine based on a five-day cycle. Once you've used this method for six workouts per body part, it's time to move on to a more intensive program for a three-week period.

Day 1: Chest and Back
ExerciseSetsRepsTempoRest IntervalA-1 Decline Dumbbell Presses, Semi-Supinated Grip (palms facing each other)10104 0 2 090 secA-2 Chin-Ups (palms facing you)10104 0 2 090 secB-1 Incline Dumbbell Flies310-123 0 2 0 60 secB-2 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows310-123 0 2 0 60 sec

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. Incidentally, I only recommend three sets of ten in this program for the "B" exercises. The "B" exercises constitute supplementary work, and doing ten sets of them would result in over-training.

Day 2: Legs and Abs ExerciseSetsRepsTempoRest IntervalA-1 Back Squats10104 0 2 090 secA-2 Lying Leg Curls10104 0 2 090 secB-1 Low-Cable Pull-Ins*315-202 0 2 0 60 secB-2 Seated Calf Raises315-202 0 2 0 60 sec(*Take a weightlifting belt and buckle it. Attach it to the low pulley of a cable crossover machine. Lie down on your back in front of the machine, and hook your feet in the belt. Then pull your knees towards your chest.)
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 3: Off
Day 4: Arms and Shoulders
ExerciseSetsRepsTempoRest IntervalA-1 Parallel Bar Dips10104 0 2 090 secA-2 Incline Hammer Curls10104 0 2 090 secB-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises*310-122 0 X 060 secB-2 Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises310-122 0 X 060 sec

(*While seated on the edge of a bench with your torso bent over, raise the dumbbells out to the side, making sure the top two knuckles (the ones closest to your thumb) are in line with your ears at the top of the movement.)
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. "X" in the tempo means to move as fast as possible, keeping the weight under control.

Day 5: Off
Beginner/Intermediate German Volume Training Program: Phase 2
After six of those five-day cycles, I recommend you do a three-week phase where the average set is six to eight reps, and do only four to six sets per body part over a five-day cycle, or you can do any other split that suits your recovery pattern. After this three-week block, you can return to the German Volume Training method by doing the following ten sets of six reps routine. In the exercises that are prescribed for 10 sets, use a load you'd normally be able to do 12 repetitions with. The goal in this phase is to do ten sets of six with that load.

SAMPLE 10 sets of 6 routine:
Day 1: Chest and Back ExerciseSetsRepsTempoRest IntervalA-1 Incline Dumbbell Presses1065 0 1 090 secA-2 Wide-Grip Pull-Ups (palms facing away from you)1065 0 1 090 secB-1 Flat Dumbbell Flyes363 0 1 060 secB-2 Bent-Over Rows with E-Z Bar363 0 1 060 secNotes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 2: Legs and Abs ExerciseSetsRepsTempoRest IntervalA-1 Bent-Knee Deadlifts1065 0 1 090 secA-2 Seated Leg Curls1065 0 1 090 secB-1 Twisting Crunches312 - 153 0 3 060 secB-2 Standing Calf Raises312 - 153 0 3 060 secNotes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 3: Off
Day 4: Arms and Shoulders ExerciseSetsRepsTempoRest IntervalA-1 Parallel Bar Dips1065 0 1 090 secA-2 Incline Hammer Curls1065 0 1 090 secB-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises*310 - 122 0 X 060 secB-2 Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises310 - 122 0 X 060 sec(*While seated on the edge of a bench with your torso bent over, raise the dumbbells out to the side, making sure the top two knuckles (the ones closest to your thumb) are in line with your ears at the top of the movement.)
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 5: Off
German Volume Training for the Advanced Trainee For the advanced trainee, variety in training is even more important to elicit adaptation. With the advanced trainee, I use a system called the four percent method. That is, I increase the load four to five percent every workout for two workouts in a row, and I reduce the target rep by one rep for every weight increase. Then I reduce the weight four to five percent and increase the rep bracket to its original starting point. Since this is very mathematical, let's look at an example that will clearly illustrate this point.
Let's say you can barbell curl 100 lbs for 12 strict reps, and you haven't been able to increase the amount of reps or weight on this exercise. Here's a sample German Volume Training routine that would increase your curling strength:

Workout 1: 10 sets of 6 @ 110 lbs
Workout 2: 10 sets of 5 @ 115 lbs
Workout 3: 10 sets of 4 @ 120 lbs
Workout 4: 10 sets of 6 @ 115 lbs
Workout 5: 10 sets of 5 @ 120 lbs
Workout 6: 10 sets of 4 @ 125 lbs
Workout 7: Test day. At this point, you would curl 120 for 12 reps, a 9% gain over 6 workouts! Here's an example of the German Volume Training method with the 4% to 5% method for someone who can bench press 300 lbs 10 times in strict form:

Workout 1: 10 sets of 5 @ 300 lbs
Workout 2: 10 sets of 4 @ 315 lbs
Workout 3: 10 sets of 3 @ 330 lbs
Workout 4: 10 sets of 5 @ 315 lbs
Workout 5: 10 sets of 4 @ 330 lbs
Workout 6: 10 sets of 3 @ 345 lbs
Workout 7: Test day. At this point, you would bench press 330 lbs for 10 reps. To recap, perform the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 1 German Volume Training program for six weeks (six 5-day cycles). Then, progress to the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 2 program for three weeks. After that, you'll be ready to graduate to the Advanced program.
This German Volume Training program is elegant in its simplicity, but that's what the Germans do best. Just ask any Mercedes Benz or BMW owner.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I already did some cycle of GVT and liked it at some extend. But What I've never got in this article is the rest period between sets. There is something not logical in it.

CP says : Rest Intervals: When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue.

60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 when in super set... Should read that if we are not supersetting and doing exercise A straight we have to take 60 sec rest between sets and when we are super setting with exercise B we should take 90-120 sec between each A and B set? Something like? A60A60A60........ and A90B90A90B90......in first case we rest 60 second between each set of a given exercise (A) and in second case we rest 180-240 second between sets of a given exercise. This is a huge rest difference and doesn't sound logical.

Powerhouse 48

Powerhouse 48

Awards
when i used this method i rested 60 between str8 sets and 90 between supersets, not 90 in between each of the excercises in the superset, that is how i interpreted the workout.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
when you do a superset don't you do it right away, like do A then B right away then rest 90 sec, A then B right away rest 90 sec, etc.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
when i used this method i rested 60 between str8 sets and 90 between supersets, not 90 in between each of the excercises in the superset, that is how i interpreted the workout.
That's exactly what I do. But that's not what CP wrote in this article.

This is what he wrote:

Day 1: Chest and Back
ExerciseSetsRepsTempoRest Interval A-1 Decline Dumbbell Presses, Semi-Supinated Grip (palms facing each other)10104 0 2 090 sec A-2 Chin-Ups (palms facing you)10104 0 2 090 secB-1 Incline Dumbbell Flies310-123 0 2 0 60 secB-2 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows310-123 0 2 0 60 sec

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
when you do a superset don't you do it right away, like do A then B right away then rest 90 sec, A then B right away rest 90 sec, etc.
Not according to Charles Poliquin.
But in the past I also did sets as you describred and it worked well.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
ok, that makes sense...i was just taking a guess to try to clear things up, but that makes sense now

Powerhouse 48

Powerhouse 48

Awards
i think that was a misinterpretaation by the person who put this out for CP, and i would have made note of it if i had carefully examined the article b4 hand, b/c all have ever read or done is the method that Rostam and myself had both mentioned in terms of time intervals...

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Or maybe the misinterpretation is the other way round. Maybe it meant 60 second if done in superset manner and 90 if done in sequence. That way it does really make more sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jsmith219 Training Forum 1
Jsmith219 Training Forum 12
Training Forum 43
Hansistyle Training Forum 2
dactyl Workout Logs 12