Ultra High Rep Sets (50-100 rep range)

conversekidz

Awards
I read this on ratemybody.com (its a rating site, not a work out one) but it caught my intrest.

It was posted by someone name ironwarrior

" Ahh!! Welcome to my world. The benefits are enormous as you will see increased strength, vascularity, muscle fullness, and muscle endurance.

The #1 reason for the 50-rep set is to work the slow twitch muscle fibers. Slow twitch muscles rarely come into play during traditional training in the rep range of 1-20. You usually need to exceed around 35 reps in a constant controlled motion to cause hypertrophic stimulus of the slow twitch fibers.

Speaking of the motion, it should be the same speed throughout the set, with the last few reps being very difficult. When I do the set of 50 on squat, I maintain the same moderate rate throughout the set until I fail or reach my goal. This is key for stimulating the slow twitch muscles.

NOTE: of ALL the bodyparts to use this methodology, squat is FOREMOST. You will see a change literally overnight. Squat is the most anabolic exercise and megareps sets of squats work miracles. I have tested this many times with a wide selection of people and those that stick with it are amazed at how they get stronger in all lifts from the mega squat reps.

Speaking of the squats, the guideline is 1/2 your bodyweight with depth to be 3/4 to full parallel. You can go deeper but it's not necessary and some people have prexisting joing conditions that prevent excessive depth. When you can complete the set with 1/2 BW, increase the reps up to 100 or increase the weight.

In the past, I've done 135 for 100 reps, 225 for 50 reps, and 135 for 50 reps below parallel.

Currently, I got away from them just for something different and regret it as I look flat. I'm starting back up today.
"

Has anyone tried such a thing? I was thinking of trying to do 50 squats with a light weight on my leg day to see if it "increases vascularity" as he puts it.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried such a thing?
no, and here's why:

1-2 sets @ 50 reps = 50-100 reps of light weight

5-10 sets @ 10 reps = 50-100 reps of heavy weight

same number of reps, vastly increased amount of work... if I believed that **** would work, I would curl 5lb weights 24/7

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Hey conversekiz, I would not do 50 rep sets because it doesn't work FAST TWITCH fibers, which have a much greaten potential to cause muscle growth. You can incorporate one set of that to see if it makes a difference for you, but I'll personally stick to rep ranges of 6-10 because this works for me

conversekidz

Awards
This is key for stimulating the slow twitch muscles.

I never said anything about hitting the fast twitch.... The whole 50-100 rep thing in his eyes is to hit the slow twitch muscles...I still plan on doing my 6 rep sets for squats, I just want to see what 50 reps at a lower weight will feel like.

Biggs yes it is the same amount of lifts, but you rest when you do little sets where as if you do 50-100 reps you are doing it straight through with no stops.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Your "guy" is wrong though. You don't need to do 50 reps to hit slow twitch muscle fibers. Show me one study where that is true. Head over to animal's board...read the entire thread on bbuilders is endurance athletes. There IS some truth to hitting slow twitch muscle fibers for growth (some studies showing that only slow twitch really add mass--not sure IMO though..jury still out) but that has NO CORELLATION with doing 50 reps. All that does is lactic acid buildup. And your workload would be pathetically light. This IS weightlifting, not cardio.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Biggs yes it is the same amount of lifts, but you rest when you do little sets where as if you do 50-100 reps you are doing it straight through with no stops.

I'd rather rest for 90-120 seconds between heavy sets and actually fatigue my muscles, thanks ;)

scottyo is dead on, and here's something else to think about... when you are working with 100 rep chunks, you are NOT stressing the muscle to any significant degree for the first dozens and dozens of reps... still don't see the point in someone doing this unless they want me to come over and laugh at them, or maybe slap them upside the head with a 45 plate they'll never need with their "20000 reps at 2.5 lb" philosophy

Jay Mc

Awards
If this worked joggers would have f'ing huge legs, because essentially they just do high rep leg exten/leg curl.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
good point Jay... who's got the best runnin legs? or the best body overall for that matter? sprinters. explosive, more powerful, shorter distance training (note- this is also how many of them approach their specialized weight routines, squats etc)

all this is not to say the occasional maybe, 20-25 rep set here or there at the end of your workouts are not a bad idea by any means, but I do find these kinds of billion rep ideas pretty comical.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
if u wanna do aroebics go ahead u wanna be a bber/weightlifter ignore that bs

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I say conversekidz if you want to have some fun give it a shot on one body part and see how you feel.

I doubt most of us will ever be pro bodybuilders so have funw with your workouts.

Got nothing to lose heck by the time you are 50 you probably will have 4000 plus workouts why not do somethig different.

Not saying it will work but hey workouts are suppose to be fun. Just be careful of overstressing the tendons hate to see you end up with tendonitis.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
um why r workouts supposed to be fun? "mr. simmons" that u?

conversekidz

Awards
When I read this guys post about doing 50-100 reps he said it helped with the vascularity of the legs. He complained that he could never get the vains to pop like other people, but after he started to this in his work out they would pop more.

You say this is compared to runner, i think a better comparison would be to military having to run with 70lb packs on their backs for miles. They have strong legs, that can endure a great amount as well.

I think there is something to be said about endurance of a lift, how many people can say they can squat half their body weight for 100 reps? Everyone on here is knocking it, but hell try it for one time and see how it feels and how far you can get.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
squat half my bodyweight for 100 reps? hmm...82.5 lbs isn't that tough man. Hell...I do 20 reppers at 295

conversekidz

Awards
squat half my bodyweight for 100 reps? hmm...82.5 lbs isn't that tough man. Hell...I do 20 reppers at 295
Then go and do 100 reps at 82.5lbs with proper form and post how you feel afterwards.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
If this worked joggers would have f'ing huge legs, because essentially they just do high rep leg exten/leg curl.
No they don't.

They don't even come close to doing a leg curl or a leg extension.

Bike racers on the other hand are closer to doing a leg curl and extension.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
u guys need something better to do with ur time really..u wanna spin ur wheels feel free..or u could easily suck it and and quit crying and lift some real weight..82.5 for a 100 reps hmmm that is a good starting weight..fora woman(gotta love dorian yates)..weave ur the man !!!!..lmao

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established

Then go and do 100 reps at 82.5lbs with proper form and post how you feel afterwards.
As I like to have my workouts actually have some science, logical reasoning...not to mention actual WEIGHT behind them...I will pass on the suggestion. If someone gets a good "pump" from 100 reps at 82.5lbs, more power to them. I'd just assume hop on the elliptical, that way the machine can track how many reps (or flights of stairs, or cycles) I do in 45 minutes :D

conversekidz

Awards
It's amazing how quick you people shoot down a different idea....

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
nothing different about it..just not thought out..seriously i think ur just young and inexperienced.so ur doing like a lot of us did experimenting..go 4 it! prove us wrong if u can but in the end u will find what all of us with years of experience know..its bullshit!!!!!!

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
well, it's actually quite misleading because the author neglects to mention the other amazingly effective aspect of his training concept... winsor pilates.

100 rep sets + winsor pilates = Jay Cutler

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
thropw in some billy banks and u got FUN!!!!!..lol

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
actually converse, if you want my honest opinion:

I think MAYBE it could be interesting if you have been on stagnant routine for a looong time, change can be good. For a regular routine, no way.

So with that in mind: go do it! Let us know if you have results, who cares what the naysayers think?

(PUSSY) :D :D j/k

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Sorry if we come off harsh...but its not the new idea that Im knocking, its the reasoning behind it.

The #1 reason for the 50-rep set is to work the slow twitch muscle fibers. Slow twitch muscles rarely come into play during traditional training in the rep range of 1-20. You usually need to exceed around 35 reps in a constant controlled motion to cause hypertrophic stimulus of the slow twitch fibers.
The author states this as fact, yet it is entirely untrue. Slow twitch fibers can be worked even with low volume by increasing TUT and slowing rep speed if that is your preference. Secondly, he offers not one scientific study to back his 35 rep magic number for slow twitch fibers.
I could go on but thats enough...

conversekidz

Awards
I tired...I couldn't do it... around the 23 rep I was getting winded...

It was fun trying it.

I wasn't talking about doing this EVERY leg day, I was thinking of doing something like this once a month.

Oh and on a side note, the guy who does this, he can squat 600, yet when he first tried half his body weight he couldn't reach 50 reps.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Really means nothing though. I see little shits doing like 50 reppers on dips and doing like 30 pullups. Thats just proportiate weight. Their some big guys who can squat like 500 at 250 lbs....others at 170 that can do 400...proportionately the smaller guy is stronger.

conversekidz

Awards
It means nothing that he can squat 600 but when it came to doing half his body weight he couldn't even reach 50 reps?

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ur point? r u actually comparing urself to someone else in this thread..got news for u..u can not its impossible as u both r unique individuals with differing genetic traits

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
It means nothing that he can squat 600 but when it came to doing half his body weight he couldn't even reach 50 reps?

First, like Wojo said, can't really compare like that. Second, like I said earlier it is all proportiate my friend. But, hey...im done here...if he likes it and you like it then thats great. I do high rep squats myself sometimes (but thats 20..not 50 or a 100 reps). Try 20 rep breathing squats and then let me know which one you actually feel more in the muscles, and I am talking soreness/growth and not lactic acid buildup.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I say give it a try for 2-3 weeks just to see what happens. Their is no science like applied science. If everybody went just by lap reports and didnt' base anything on real world experiences everybody would have a **** load of HMB stocked up at their house right now. Many times over have things worked that science said wouldn't or couldn't explain.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Sorry if we come off harsh...but its not the new idea that Im knocking, its the reasoning behind it.
I like my reasoning behind it ;) :

The 50 or 75 or 100 repetition set would do the following:

1. in the first stages (first 20-35 repetitions) the fast twitch fibers would be the primary fibers being recruited because these fibers are mainly used for muscular contractions lasting between 5-45 seconds of constant tension.

2. Once the lactic acid accumulates in the muscle faster than it can be removed, the brain shifts musclular recruitment over to the slow twitch fibers (for instance when you are on a long run, the "burn" only lasts for about the first 4-5 minutes and then it goes away, this is the "shift" of recruitment).

3. Vascularity. I will personally attest to the fact that increased vascularity can come from high-rep sets. Over the past 3 weeks I have been doing high-rep sets of push-ups (3-4 sets of 30-50 reps per set) along with a ton of swimming, and let me tell you, I now have more vascularity in my back, chest, and triceps than ever before

4. Satellite cells. These cells are the precursor to muscle cells, and along with occasional use of ultra high-rep sets (as in like once every 2-3 months) increases the proliferation of these satellite cells, leading to greater pure muscle gains in the long term (I like looking at the big picture ;) )

thats all for now, I will think of more advantages occasional use of of ultra high-rep sets later

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Thank you the voice of reason, Lifeguard. :)

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lifeguard, you're reasoning only has one major flaw. Once applied in the gym, ultra-high reps prove counterproductive. Even Mike Mentzer warned against reps this high. Just one more reason I disregard unapplied science, like most pub-med studies. ;)

locoangmo

Awards
Can anyone give me one example where swithcing to a ultra high rep workout amounted to a greater 1rm in any compound lift?

Isn't endurance exercize highly catabolic?

Aren't fast twitch type II larger than type I slow twitch fibers?

I can increase vascularity by eating a candy bar. This or the famous "pump factor" is not a good measurement of workout effectiveness.

I wouldn't waste my time with ultra high reps.

LOCO

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone give me one example where swithcing to a ultra high rep workout amounted to a greater 1rm in any compound lift?

Isn't endurance exercize highly catabolic?

Aren't fast twitch type II larger than type I slow twitch fibers?

I can increase vascularity by eating a candy bar. This or the famous "pump factor" is not a good measurement of workout effectiveness.

I wouldn't waste my time with ultra high reps.

LOCO
If you are looking for a 1rm then you DEFINITELY want to stear clear of ultra high reps. AND of cours you should be doing a power lifting routine and not a bodybuilding routine.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Before I knew how to train, I would do curls with 10-15lbs for 100 reps. I never really gained any muscle in the biceps.

locoangmo

Awards
A bodybuilding routine that doesn't result in an increase in strength (usually annotated as 1rm) isn't worth the paper its printed on.
Besides, "ultra high reps" is an endurance workout, not a bodybuilding workout. If you want to be weaker and smaller with greater lactic acid tolerance, this is your baby.
LOCO

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by John Benz
Just one more reason I disregard unapplied science, like most pub-med studies. ;)
Are you saying that I got all my info from pubmed articles and studies???????

all that info that I put down was straight out of my brain, I did not even need to look at any articles/books/magazines to put all that down on paper.

I dont need to use useless internet-based studies to get my point across

if I use an article in my writings, I will say that I did.  I'm not YJ :mad:

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
am sure he didn't mean to offend ya LG... either way, just felt the need to again express that if I want high rep sets I'm supersetting my big weight, "running the rack", or things of that nature, not fuckin around with pussy weight to the 100th power... might as well run a god damn marathon... not gonna make an entire workout out of warm-up sets, no way no how :D

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
its just a sad world were more is still precieved as better if that were true we would have all been champion bber by the time we graduated high school..lol

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No offense meant LG.

Are you saying that I got all my info from pubmed articles and studies???????

all that info that I put down was straight out of my brain, I did not even need to look at any articles/books/magazines to put all that down on paper.

I dont need to use useless internet-based studies to get my point across

if I use an article in my writings, I will say that I did.  I'm not YJ :mad:
No Lifeguard, I admire your intellect. I just meant that even though it is your own theory, based on scientific evidence you have learned, it is just that—theory. Based on science, what you said makes sense. In reality, it fails to produce the desired result—bigger muscles. I sometimes reduce weight to about 60-75% of norm and blast out 5 sets of 20 reps to shock the muscles and break through a sticking point. But only for a few workouts, and anything over 20 has proven detrimental. More soreness; no additional gains.

peace,

John Benz

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I agree that doing 100 rep sets in every workout is stupid. But it can be used as a new training stimulus every once so often just to beat your muscles up a little bit ;)

conversekidz

Awards
Re: No offense meant LG.

No Lifeguard, I admire your intellect. I just meant that even though it is your own theory, based on scientific evidence you have learned, it is just that—theory. Based on science, what you said makes sense. In reality, it fails to produce the desired result—bigger muscles. I sometimes reduce weight to about 60-75% of norm and blast out 5 sets of 20 reps to shock the muscles and break through a sticking point. But only for a few workouts, and anything over 20 has proven detrimental. More soreness; no additional gains.

peace,

John Benz
The 50 rep sets where not to increase muscle size but to get the vascularity to pop more...

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: No offense meant LG.

The 50 rep sets where not to increase muscle size but to get the vascularity to pop more...
lifting weight is not aimed at increasing muscle size? did I understand that correctly? sounded an awful lot like you said "just get a good pump dude".

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: No offense meant LG.

Vascularity is much more dependant on bodyfat levels, water retention, and GENETICS, then overall lifting methods. You can help it along a bit, but you have to HAVE the muscle before it can get vascular. Also, tren, 1-test or EQ work much better :D

Flavor

Awards
High rep sets increase capillary density. Therefore, increased pump.

*shrug*

conversekidz

Awards
Re: Re: Re: No offense meant LG.

lifting weight is not aimed at increasing muscle size? did I understand that correctly? sounded an awful lot like you said "just get a good pump dude".

I was just restating what the author of the piece I posted wanted to accomplish...