To Failure or Not to Failure???

1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.63%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

To Failure or Not to Failure???

I'm curious to see feedback on what limit you guys push yourselves to.

I personally will lift until I cannot complete another rep on my own. On the last set of an exercise, I will use techniques such as negatives, spotter etc in order to acheive total muscular failure.

I cant imagine not putting 100% into my lifts though. There are guys who say that going to failure is too exhaustive on the nervous system. I assume they mean TOTAL muscular failure, with a spotter. But I can't see myself stopping before it starts getting HARD.

My question is, for acheiving maximum size while increasing strength, should I go to failure on every set? Partial muscular failure (being able to complete a rep on your own) on every set?

Thanks in advance for your replies.:squat:

2. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

i used to train to failure on more than one set or even every set sometimes. After a while i realized that I respond better not going to complete failure. I think its only needed couple times a week. It might just contribute to overtraining that's why.
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.63%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Which brings me to my next point, overtraining. If your doing a 3-4 day a week split, working out for only an hour- 1.5 hours, how possible is overtraining??? I think Overtraining is exagerrated and feared. Its one thing if your doing extreme volume training 7 days per week, but I think it'd be rather hard to overtrain when you only train 3-4 days per week.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.55%

imo when it comes to powerlifting you have to train hard if you plan on getting results. it's just natural. and if you're not handling heavy weight when it's time to handle it your cns wont be ready for it and you will bomb. also you can overtrain when training 3-4 times a week, just have to know your body and back off for a week when the overtraining sets in.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I think lifting 3 days a week you are definetely minimizing the possibilities of over-training. IMO, I wouldn't fail to the point where I need someone to help me with the weigh - I don't think that's an effective way to train, at least for my purposes.

I think if you're training for a hobby, pushing your limits is encouraged but no beyond your capabilities. If you can't complete a rep with good form and control, then don't do it.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.72%

I used to go to failure all the time.
    But now I've started reading some contradictory stories about doing this, and at least some success stories in not going to failure.

So lately, I have been experimenting with not going to full failure - stopping my set when I probably can do 1-2 more reps if I really needed to.

AND doing this, I have to admit I've been feeling better. It feels like I'm not burning out (CNS) as much, and I recover quicker. I can't say I've noticed anything negative in my strength on my lifts either. I should also point out that I'm doing higher reps, less weight, more sets that I used to, and feeling better about that too.

I used to rarely go above 6 reps, and always went heavy like a powerlifter. <meekly>I've working towards trying to get a "pump" more now, and I think it's working good for me at the moment.</meekly> Every once in a while, my ego needs to be satisfied with lifting some heavy weight, just to make sure I still can, LoL. But for me, higher reps and not always to failure seem to be working good for me at the moment (although I do change things up often).
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.56%

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows
    Which brings me to my next point, overtraining. If your doing a 3-4 day a week split, working out for only an hour- 1.5 hours, how possible is overtraining??? I think Overtraining is exagerrated and feared. Its one thing if your doing extreme volume training 7 days per week, but I think it'd be rather hard to overtrain when you only train 3-4 days per week.
    It's all relative to the trainee really. One workout to failure per week is enough to wipe me out for two weeks. Some people do well with failure and adapt to it better. When they say it isn't necessary they mean it's not necessary for growth or strength gains, but that doesn't mean don't train that way if you find it more beneficial than other modes of training for your goals. If you respond well to that type of training go for it. The problem arises when people claim one form of training is superior to another, that failure is absolutely necessary or has to be avoided at all costs. Both are wrong.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

i agree with CDB, sunder, and Rage. very good points made by all three of you. It depends on goals and the person. I somewhat take the same approach as Sunder too. I saw complete failure like needing someone to help with more than one rep is good once in a great while.
  9. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.68%

Well I'm doing A Westside routine right now and one day of the week I do 1 rep max on Bench but the other day the most I go to is 70% usually 60% 1 rep max so none of my sets that day are to failure not even close> I personally don't gain on going to failure my work out partner does. I also like MAX OT where you have to get at least 4 reps but no more than 6 if you can get more you move up in weight. I mean what is your rep scheme? I would rather go up in weight then try and push out 2-3 more reps.
  10. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.08%

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    It's all relative to the trainee really. One workout to failure per week is enough to wipe me out for two weeks. Some people do well with failure and adapt to it better. When they say it isn't necessary they mean it's not necessary for growth or strength gains, but that doesn't mean don't train that way if you find it more beneficial than other modes of training for your goals. If you respond well to that type of training go for it. The problem arises when people claim one form of training is superior to another, that failure is absolutely necessary or has to be avoided at all costs. Both are wrong.
    I concur Variety is the spice of life brothers
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.04%

I'm a HIT guy so I do believe in going to failure but my volume and frequency are very low
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.25%

I'm making some of the best gains of my life now that I'm going to failure. I go to failure on every set.
    BUT......
    I don't do 20 something sets either.

Similar Forum Threads

1. To Rub or not to Rub
    By Big Joe in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
  2. To Gear or Not to Gear
    By wikked1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 03:24 PM
  3. To cheese or not to cheese?