Boxing but not to compete

Elizzard

Elizzard

Awards
Hey guys! I want to start boxing on a heavy bag, and I'm trying to find a trainer or a boxing gym to learn how to properly train so that I can get a good workout from it. I'm not looking to ever compete, and I REALLY don't want to have to fight anyone. What should I do about this? It seems like all of the training gyms in my area are super serious about the programs they offer, and I'm just wanting to do this for fitness and fun.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey - If its just for fitness, then you can probably do most of the stuff at home.
Get yourself a bag and some gloves and hire a personal traininer for one or two sessions to show you the ropes. Everything else from there is pretty simple.
If you can't hang a bag, then I have a wavemaster at home, same principle, but you fill the base with water to keep it still when you hit it. Saves having to drill holes in your ceiling.
Are you sure you just want to do boxing? I bet you could find a good kickboxing class to attend at your local gym which would give you an all body workout.
Let us know your goals and we will try to help you.
Are yo sure you don't want to fight? :) Its fun :)
Your other choice is to pick up a couple of instructional boxing DVD's and learn from that.

Elizzard

Elizzard

Awards
I've done cardio kickboxing before and it was a good workout, but I used to punch around on a bag, and i remember how my abs and arms got real sore from it. I want some muscle gains from the boxing, plus I want to feel like a bad ass ;) But I want to learn how to do it right, so that's why I wanted some instruction. I'm located in the North Dallas (Texas) area.

I looked at the Wavemakers, are those really good? I'll be doing this alone, so I don't want to hit it and then have to move it back into place b/c it moved. I'll probably check out a used sports store and see what they have.

Do they have good DVD's that teach you how to box? I might just check into that since I'm wanting to do this at home anyway. THanks for all the help!

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I swear by the Wavemaster XXL, there is no way you can move this thing once filled with water.
Wavemaster XXL for $279.95 - $2.95 shipping applies!
You can get it much cheaper on e-bay and other places online.

Basic punches are easy to pick up, just be careful not to bend your wrists or roll your hands when hitting the bag.
KG

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Hey - If its just for fitness, then you can probably do most of the stuff at home.
Get yourself a bag and some gloves and hire a personal traininer for one or two sessions to show you the ropes. Everything else from there is pretty simple.
If you can't hang a bag, then I have a wavemaster at home, same principle, but you fill the base with water to keep it still when you hit it. Saves having to drill holes in your ceiling.
Are you sure you just want to do boxing? I bet you could find a good kickboxing class to attend at your local gym which would give you an all body workout.
Let us know your goals and we will try to help you.
Are yo sure you don't want to fight? :) Its fun :)
Your other choice is to pick up a couple of instructional boxing DVD's and learn from that.
Hey karategirl. "It's fun"? Please tell me you fight. Have you ever? Anyways, I was kinda curious to see why this person decided to go with punching a bag strictly for exercise. If thats all that you want out of it, than just spend a little money on a bag or wavemaster and go to town! If your not trying to learn how to fight than you don't have to worry about things like proper form, speed and precision.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I've done cardio kickboxing before and it was a good workout, but I used to punch around on a bag, and i remember how my abs and arms got real sore from it. I want some muscle gains from the boxing, plus I want to feel like a bad ass ;) But I want to learn how to do it right, so that's why I wanted some instruction. I'm located in the North Dallas (Texas) area.

I looked at the Wavemakers, are those really good? I'll be doing this alone, so I don't want to hit it and then have to move it back into place b/c it moved. I'll probably check out a used sports store and see what they have.

Do they have good DVD's that teach you how to box? I might just check into that since I'm wanting to do this at home anyway. THanks for all the help!
Boxing will definitely increase your stamina, and muscle tone, however you won't really experience much by way of muscle size. Take karategirl's advice as far as the wrists are concerned and depending how hard and aggressive you get, you might want to get some wrist wraps. They sell pre-made wrist wraps that just slide on so you don't have to bother with wrapping but you first have to decide how many ounce gloves you want to be throwing around.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey karategirl. "It's fun"? Please tell me you fight. Have you ever? .
Of course I fight, wouldn't have it any other way.
Martial arts though, I am a sparring junkie :)
Yeh, a sparring junkie with a busted rib right now :frustrate
I fight 5 nights a week, and train every day. Nothing can beat that adrenaline rush of a good fight.
KG

Elizzard

Elizzard

Awards
karategirl, what do you do to train? I've lost a lot of weight, and i'm much toner than I've ever been before...but my shoulders are pretty weak and i'm really wanting to gain some mucle in that area, and then tone my arms up some more. I lift weights 4 days a week...usually fairly moderate amount of weight and higher reps...but i do add weight if it starts to feel easy. Just curious though, from the pic, you're body very close to what i want mine to look like ;)

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey Elizzard,
I mainly train in karate and BJJ, I also lift 6 days a week using a 3 day push/pull/legs split that I repeat twice.
How many reps can you do using your current weights? I try to do 3 sets of 10 reps for each, but usually I struggle to complete the last set, maybe I make 6 or 7 reps. That is how I judge what weight to lift, if you can do 3 x 10 easily then just up the weight a bit.
Shoulders are easy to train with dumbell raises - hold a set of dumbells in your hands and stand feet apart, knees slightly bent. Keep your arms straight and lift the weights directly in front of you, bring them back down, then lift them diagonally out, bring them back down, then lift them out to your side up to shoulder height, bring them back down and repeat. One of those counts as 1 rep, and I like to do 3 sets of 8 reps - trust me this one burns :)
KG

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Of course I fight, wouldn't have it any other way.
Martial arts though, I am a sparring junkie :)
Yeh, a sparring junkie with a busted rib right now :frustrate
I fight 5 nights a week, and train every day. Nothing can beat that adrenaline rush of a good fight.
KG
Right on girl. Do ya ever fight full contact or.... Well nevermind, you said you do it 5 nights a week and you got a broken rib, I think that qualifies as FULL CONTACT! So what style or styles do you prefer? I am a right handed strong side forward fighter influenced by JKD. And by the way.... You got some nice definition on your back!

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I know you say you've got no interest in actually fighting/sparring but really sparring is fun as hell, even 'kick for kick' training is great fun. Besides, moving targets require more effort to hit.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
If your going to box, I think you should do it right imo. Don't do one of those cheesy cardo boxing programs they have at big chain gyms. More than likely it will not even provide you with the most basic fundamentals.

i did amateur boxing for many years (before i was heavily into lifting) and it was loads of fun. My advice to you is to go down and find a boxing gym in your town and start doing the workouts the trainer is doing. He'll probably have you something along the lines of 3 rounds of skipping rope, 4 rounds heavy bag, 3 rounds shadow boxing, mitts, practicing with a weave rope, 2 rounds of speed bag, etc. At every gym its different. But just stick with it for awhile and you will be really well conditioned. And on top of that just knowing basic boxing helps you on the street. If you know some boxing and wrestling, it helps loads. Because most people cant throw a punch properly and if you know how to avoid their punches and see openings its easy work. But, i guarentee once you start training youll get the bug to spar and fight.

Me and Apowerz are the resident boxing fans haha.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you have craigslist where you are at here in the bay area alot of trainers advertiser under the lesson forums

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
sounds a lot of fun, I went to a beginners boxing class last year at college, it was such a workout, your arms felt like they were going to fall off, and the training that went with it was pretty challenging. You couldn't imagin how much sweating u can do just from properly shadow boxing. I think wrist wraps are a must, it would be nice to have the cheater ones where u slid them on.

If you can't find any local classes I would start off with Bas Ruttens old video describing his boxing/kickboxing workout tapes, it goes through a ton of stuff and would keep you busy and super tired.

GL, I found a lot of enjoyment with boxing, I now have 2 sets of gloves, and focus mitts.