Swimming: Muscle mush!

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever spend a few hours in a pool, then work out?...... I was swimming for about 4 hours in my pool today. After swimming, I hung around for about a half hour....Then started working out. Today was arms day and I dropped a few pounds on each exercise..... My guess it's because my muscles turned into mush.... I'll save the swimming for after my workouts. :chick:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I dont know about mush but it more than likely tired your muscles out. What did you have to eat prior to weight training after the pool? Pool for 4 hours could wipe out some of your glycogen stores

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I had 5 eggs and wheat toast..... Went swimming, then had a chicken breast with broccoli and a creatine drink before working out...... I think you may be right about tired muscles. It just didn't seem right working out after the swim.... I'm also trying the 5x5 routine..... I love it!

auto_mail8939

Awards
More carbs before your workout would've helped restore your glycogen.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've also read that swimming a lot leads to subq fat storage to protect the body from the cold water.

MANimal

Awards
I've also read that swimming a lot leads to subq fat storage to protect the body from the cold water.
Precisely. Anyone swim here and have very low bf? Swimming seems to be an excellent form of exercise, but not at the cost of not being able to get very lean. Is the condition permanant or does it go away once one stops?

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Subcutaneous fat throwdown is a little hyped. If you swim for about 30-45 minutes the fat burn is off the hook and it doesn't seem to burn off muscle as much as running/jogging.

I prefer swimming over other forms of cardio.

It's best to save it for after a workout or do it on a day off.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I love swimming and wish I could do it more often...wonder if swimming in a heated pool would have the fat storage effect?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never seen a fat swimmer at the olympics
No but when you consider the level of BF that most Olympic level swimmers have, you would think that they would be ripped to shreds, but their physiques really do not display their body composition.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Many swimmers consume way over 7000 cals a day just to sustain energy/strength. The burn from their training is insane. Just imagine a 3600 yard warmup.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Many swimmers consume way over 7000 cals a day just to sustain energy/strength. The burn from their training is insane. Just imagine a 3600 yard warmup.
Hah.....I remember those days. My coach in JC was an ex-olympian coach and he knew wtf he was doing when it came to swimming. I was a distance swimmer and going up to 8-9000 yards in a 2.5 hour practice was not uncommon. It was very tiring and during season I would eat like crap and a lot of it and still drop a lot of weight/fat

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Indeed. You understand the 3600 yard "warmup". Swimming is wicked for the cuts.

A different athlete is composed of course but nevertheless full body strength/endurance.