Push-ups on off days ??

Push-ups or No push-ups on your off days from the gym ?

• I do push-ups on my off days from the gym.

Votes: 46 37.1%
  • I don't do push-ups on my off days.

Votes: 78 62.9%

• Total voters

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Just curious to see how many of you do push-ups on you off days from the gym to get that pump going.

Just curious.. Should I be doing push-ups on the off days, or should it just be an OFF day ?

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I do them on my off days because I only get to go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I do push up on some off days, say I'm about to go to the pool or the lake. LoL gotta look hard! But that's it I don't do them faithfully.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
Ok, So far everyone says no except me...

So I have to ask.. How many days a week are you working out, and since I am only working out 3 times a week, is it ok for me to do this, or should I stop to give the muscles that much more time to recover ? Just asking, and learning.. That's all.

Thanks for your help and replies.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I do push up on some off days, say I'm about to go to the pool or the lake. LoL gotta look hard! But that's it I don't do them faithfully.
I hear ya Pittbull. Just was curious if I was dfoing damage by doing the on off days or since I only workout 3 times a week, would it be ok to do the on off days as well ?

I workout upeer body on Monday and friday, and its broken down into different muscle groups by day. On wednesday, its lag day.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok, So far everyone says no except me...

So I have to ask.. How many days a week are you working out, and since I am only working out 3 times a week, is it ok for me to do this, or should I stop to give the muscles that much more time to recover ? Just asking, and learning.. That's all.

Thanks for your help and replies.
I don't do them on my off days but that's mainly because I lift 5 days a week so I don't have as many off days as you do, but I don't think it could do too much damage for you if you feel like you're recovering properly IMO.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think they're probably good for recovery and GPP. As long as they're not too intense. If you can do 70 push ups, do 2-3 sets of 40 or so.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
If your doing pushups every day I would say ya your overtraining.

I workout 3-4 days a week and will do pushups maybe once a week maybe a set of 75-100 and thats it.

AHHH I just ate 3 big cookies from Crowler I better do a few extra sit ups also LOL

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
On my off days, In the morning or after work, or sometimes at work, on my break, I will do like 3 sets of 30 wide stance and 3 sets of 30 close stance. But thats like on tuesday and thursday, and sometimes on saturday and sunday.

Depends if I am gonna be out in the yard or not. lol..

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
81 views and only 7 votes ???? Come on people.. Don't be afraid to say what your doing... This is good info for some people. Its just a Poll, Even if your in the losing end, its still info. Hell, I am losing right now. Does not matter, But I am learning something from it.. Come on .... VOTE !!!

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe recovery is overrated on AAS/PHs.
Maybe 1-2 days out of the week at the most. I rest about 1 day out of the week now.

There's not really a point on AAS or PHs.

I do pushups every morning right out of bed.

Markio

Markio

Awards
not for me, I will do them if I'm on holiday or away on a training course etc. Bodybuilder Lee Hayward does them every day and he aint little so it can't hurt

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
been in the ARMY for about 6 yrs i FU$&#^% HATE PUSHUPS!!

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Army uses push ups as a form of torture.

Up, down, Up..............2 minutes later. Down, up!

Gator762

Awards
Hmm, this thread is kinda old!
I'm no expert, but if you train your chest twice a week, I'd say it's probably overtraining. Recovery is an extremely important component of bodybuilding!

Years ago I was prone to overtraining myself, always thinking more is better. Everyone is different, pay attention to your body and signs of overtraining.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some of the best gains I ever made were when I was in the Army, and on top of my night workouts 5 times a week, I would do pushups twice a week.

glsa17

Awards
  • Established
I think they are benifical. I use them as a type of active recovery. Day after chest workout for example. Nothing super taxing just enough to get some blood flowing. Removing the toxins and bring fresh blood and nutrients to the damaged site (damaged from the workout)

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Usually do them while I'm watching TV, or in between Madden loading times (seriously have enough time to do 20+ in some load screens).

Just an exercise I do to not feel worthless on non-lifting days.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I don't because they will not build muscle, not nearly enough stress so **** it, I just blast my chest once a week and let it rest.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
i try not to move alot during my off days!! lol

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Bad idea unless you are genetically gifted, in which case it probably doesn't matter what you do, and all of the training methodologies don't matter, because you grow when you look at a barbell you son of a...

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I really only do pushups to warm up for boxing, or after my chest workout to finish the blowout. Usually with my feet up on something.

If my chest hurts - I don't do em!

DocT

Awards
Pushups Rock!!!

I'm in the Army, and in addition to my daily workout, I try to work in at least 50-100 pushups, just to keep my PT score up. I love a hard workout, but there's nothing like pushups to get the blood pumping and a little burn going.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Push-ups are all well and great, but when you weigh 240, a push-up is way more strenous on the CNS than if you weigh 175.

If you are working with small margins for error, and you rest 4-5 days in between workouts and you're cutting, doing 100 push-ups one day will probably cause you to overtrain and **** up your gains.

Bile

Bile

Awards
Lol Im in the Army and I do pushups every day with my squad. Like on Monday, Wednesday, Friday we have to run cause our CO mandates it. But I incorpate a circuit before running and after running. Like we do 5 sets of 50 pushups and 100 crunches and then run. Then when we come back we do 5 sets of 50 pushups and 20 leg lifts.

On Tuesday, Thursday I like to do my own little circuit which is 5 sets of 50 pushups, 100 crunches, 10 pullups, 50 squats and 10 dips. I have to do this because my joeys our lazy and dont work out on there own. But our squad average on the APFT is a 292. I got one guy from 38 pushups out of basic (garbage I know) to 82 pushups on the APFT in 3 months. I also weight lift in the evening on my own of course.

My unit kinda sucks because we dont get enough time to recover and the coc demands higher PT scores. But I try and make the best of a garbage situation and my joeys are crushing the PT test. So this does work.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
for like a week or 2, i did 20 every day regaurdless of the workout. along with 10 pullups, i dont think its that much