Body Fat Scales???

conversekidz

Awards
I was at copelands today buy a weight belt and I saw on of the scales at the entrance of the store. Curriosity got the best of me so off went the shoes and socks and I tried it.

6'
163-166lbs

It said my body fat was 12.9% Does that sound about right? if you look at me right now, you can sort of see the top of my stomach, and the shape of the muscle, but you can tell there is still fat on it.

I am just trying to find out if I should believe I am 12.9% or if I should fork over the money and get the hydro test done.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
actually it does sound about right.. but personally, if you have someone at the gym that can handle fat calpiers.. you can get that done.. just make sure it is the same person that does yours everytime.. different people can get different reading and it will mess with your head if you are doing good and all of a sudden you get a bad reading because some bozo didn't do the reading right.. or like the last person did it

deaconbill

Awards
Most of those body fat scales are based on national averages of average couch-potato type people.  They are not an accurate way of determining BF%.  Just my opinion.

CosmosM3

Awards
I have a bodyfat scale with the metal foot pads. It sucks balls. I've had it vary over 6% BF in a single day. Horribly inaccurate... The digital scale feature is nice though.

D D D

Awards
Most of those body fat scales are based on national averages of average couch-potato type people.  They are not an accurate way of determining BF%.  Just my opinion.
That's how they work. They're a fucking joke.

belbs75

Awards

That's how they work. They're a fucking joke.
I agree with you.. They suck, i had a friend that had friggin fat hanging from all sorts of places but cos of his height and the fact that he had lost weight it still said he had 7%bf which is bullshit.. He tried telling me that they really work and i told him ok why dont you have it done at the gym.. He didnt like that idea at all... I suppose some people like to hang on to some kind of hope...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have found one that was halfway accurate, but it wasn't a scale. I found it at Sharper Image and it had handles that you held on to. It said "accurate to 2/10 of a %" and I found it within 1% of calipers. Curiosity made me try it with 3 of my friends (male and female) and got the same tolerance. Unfortunately I didn't buy it.

The Tanita scale is a joke. my percent bodyfat goes up a percent for every 2-3 pounds I gain in muscle. However, if you can do calipers (even a 3 point), and you have one of the scales- I tested myelf with calipers to get a ballpark, then adjusted the height on the Tania until the results jibed( I am 5'9", but I set it to 6'3"). This I found to keep the results pretty consistent, at least something I can jump on in the morning and get a quick reading.

2cAnnons

Awards
I have one that you hold out in front of you as well. It works well.
here is a link to the one I have

link

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That looks like the one, alright. It had me and my friends within 1% of caliper readings. I might have to look into it further and re-experiment now that I am bigger.

2cAnnons

Awards
I pick it because a firend of mines mom is a personal trainer and she owns one just like it. I shopped around and found one sitting on a shelf with dust on it so i took it to the front and sure enough, it was marked down. I ended up paying 49 for it i believe. much better then 99 or even 79 like listed on the site.

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have a Tanita, and in the manual is says in bold " Not for athletic body types", but I do agree, its handy to see what your weight is, but yeah, the bodyfat % is crap.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mine says the same....of course it DIDN'T say it in the ad I ordered it from, and they wouldn't take it back....Fuckers

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My girlfriend seems to get some use out of it...and it's pretty old (1997). I'm just blowing off some long-repressed steam. :)

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
My girlfriend seems to get some use out of it...and it's pretty old (1997). I'm just blowing off some long-repressed steam. :)
lol. let it out man, to quote will smith...

"hate in your heart will consume you too" :eek: :eek: :p

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I will not comment due to the fact that I'm still unhinged regarding a purchase of a certain scale a couple of years ago....it rythmes with "chaquita" :D BASTARDS!!

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I bought one from 1fast that is very accurate and has an "athletic" mode, that takes into account active bodytypes. I think it's about spot on if I use it at the same time everyday (first thing in the morning, before breakfast).

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
I bought one from 1fast that is very accurate and has an "athletic" mode, that takes into account active bodytypes. I think it's about spot on if I use it at the same time everyday (first thing in the morning, before breakfast).
which one is it ?????

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
One caveat-->if you're below 8% it begins to have problems. I am 15/14%, trying to get down to 10%, so no problem for me.

I have the Omni Wireless. I like it. Some people don't. I think it is much better than the Tanitas (and cheaper). It IS lightweight, though, not all metal. They say it tests within 1% accuracy to hospital tests.

MaddCapp

Awards
Get some calipers.

I've got a pretty cool spreadsheet that calculates bf using several different methods and numbers of sites. Also has some info on how/where to take measurements included in it. It's about a 1 Meg zipped file. Is it cool to post something that 'big'? Or not ...

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
the electronic things read body resistance, depending on your level of hydration the readings vary pretty drastically.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
That is correct. The best way to use an electronic scale is under fixed conditions. As I recall, most manufacturers recommend taking readings first thing in the morning after emptying your bladder and before eating or drinking anything.

As a secondary comment, all fat measuring techniques, including calipers, immersion, bod pod, and the more esoteric methods, make an assumption regarding the person's body composition, since skin thickness and the individual's propensity to deposit fat in various areas, bone, organ, and blood volume, etc. all influence the readings.

USOC

Awards
**** BF scales...take look in the mirror. Are you happy? No? Then get your ass back to the gym where you belong! :p

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
True--the only 100% accurate way to measure BF% is autopsy, but that makes body comp. changes a bit of a bi$*& aftewards!

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Agreed, the mirror and the tape measure are my biggest indicators of success...well, maybe AFTER bigger and bigger dumbells. The BF scale just helps me find where my maintenance calories are at, and is a guide. I just don't have the time to use calipers and formulas everyday, and since I'm not as concerned with exactitude in measurement as overall progress, my BF scale (which I think is quite accurate under repeatable conditions) works fine for me.

Skark

Awards
  • Established
The key for all the electronic measurements is not accuracy (if it tells you 14% when you are 19%), but consistancy.......when you are doing something right, the bf% goes down. I too have a handheld scale, an Omron, and yes I am also fairly satisfied with it. I have been thinking seriously about buying a standon scale too, and using both take an average of the difference as further verification.