Arnold's Routine

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
Hey guys, I was just reading Arnold's Encyclopdia of Bodybuilding and was wondering what everyone though about the workout he give you. It's a 6 day split working each bodypart 3 time a week. Monday will be the start of my second week of T1-Pro and 1,4-Andro. What do you think about this workout, is it overtraining? I can type up the routine if you gys don't know it, let me know, and is this a good one while "on"

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Arnolds routines are some of the best IMO...

it helped me gain 15 lean pounds in 6 months with a not-so-good diet

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
all I can say is, get plenty of fucking sleep, and bash away :D

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
You guys don't feel it will lead to overtraining? And what about post cycle, would it be ok to keep the arnold routine or is it good only while on?

Jay Mc

Awards
Personally, I wouldn't try it unless I had arnolds genetics and arnold's gear...if you got that then yeah, you should be set...

J

JFP2026

Awards
I'd rather go with a 4 day split, 3 work days, then 1 off, then repeat while 'on'.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, you will be overtraining. Few can match Arnold's routine, even today. I don't know of any of the pros like Lee Priest, Jay Cutler, or Ronnie Coleman who do each bodypart 3 X a week. And trust me, their recuperative powers will dwarf yours and mine. Lee specifically recommends no more than once a week for arms; I remember that much! ;)

elijah_123

Awards
I love Arnolds routines.

I switched to the 15,12,10,8,6 X 3 routine and it did great things for my strength and gains about 1.5 months ago while I was doing a cycle of slin only. The slin helped prevent overtraining and the pumps were great.
If you really wanna kick your but super set them. I had to do that to keep the work outs short enough to get a shower and get to classes on time.

Listen to biggun. You will need sleep and either good genetics or recovery aids to get the most of his routines.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
And what about post cycle, would it be ok to keep the arnold routine or is it good only while on?
as most of the guys have said, Arnold's psychopathy is best suited for pros on all kinds of ****, or similar freaks of nature... but on the other hand I mean, I say you only live once so if you KNOW you can do twice weekly's with no problems AND you're "on", give it a shot... just remember, your life should be fuckin based around recovery, devote yourself to proper nutrition (eat right, and eat like a fucking bull), supplementation, sleep 10 hrs a night, listen to your body, and see what happens... don't hurt yourself and you can always drop back down to twice or once weekly.

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
I was going to follow his Beginner Program I (Which is hardly beginner) you hit each bodypart twice a week, 3 different workouts twice a week. The only thing is for most of the exercises he doesn't list how many sets and reps to do, anyone know? And does anyone have any adapted routines from Arnold?

p.s. Elijah, what exactly was your routine?

elijah_123

Awards
Typically something like this
I would super set ie do 15 rps of 1st lift then 15 reps of 2nd lift then 12 and 12 until 6 and 6 then go to the next two lifts. About 90-120 sec. rest.
Exercise Reps
Bench 15 12 10 8 6
Barbell curls 15 12 10 8 6

Next super set
Decline bench 15 12 10 8 6
Hammer curls 15 12 10 8 6

Next super set
Incline bench 15 12 10 8 6
Palm down curls 15 12 10 8 6

Go use about 15-20 Iu Hum-r
Wimper like a little girl
Eat eat eat :)

Next day was leg/delt day (squats/leg press/leg ext/curl with arnold's should lift, side raises, and incline side raises)

3rd day was back and tris (wide grip pull ups/bent over rows/normal pull ups with skull crushers/cable push downs/dumbell kick backs)

Repeat.

It isn't quite 3 x per week but I was slin only so my body couldn't handle the 3x scheme.

Then

destro19

destro19

Awards
arnolds workouts are great.  I dont understand why people are so anti-hardwork.  In Arnolds day those guys looked 85% hard work and 15% drugs.  Nowadays its reversed.  Theses guys look like they stepped out of labs not gyms. There is no such thing as overtraining!!!  I hate that excuse.  If you dont wanna lift hard go to the Natilus gyms ans sweat it out over doughnuts and coffee.  I admire the dedication os some of these guys for wanting to be the best in there sport but they look like they busted there wallets and not there asses.

heres your checklist

1. attitude

2.  focus

3.  desire

4.  willing to bust your ass

5.  you gotta be nuts and you gotta have nuts

if you are lacking any of these then I guess it isnt for you and you can be a "puny little girlie man, yah"

belbs75

Awards
arnolds workouts are great.  I dont understand why people are so anti-hardwork.  In Arnolds day those guys looked 85% hard work and 15% drugs.  Nowadays its reversed.  Theses guys look like they stepped out of labs not gyms. There is no such thing as overtraining!!!  I hate that excuse.  If you dont wanna lift hard go to the Natilus gyms ans sweat it out over doughnuts and coffee.  I admire the dedication os some of these guys for wanting to be the best in there sport but they look like they busted there wallets and not there asses.

heres your checklist

1. attitude

2.  focus

3.  desire

if you are lacking any of these then I guess it isnt for you and you can be a "puny little girlie man, yah"
I totally agree with you...

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
I think I'm gonna give arnold's routine a try, I like how it's set up and I really wanted to do it, the only thing holding me back was all the talk about overtraining and that it would make me smaller and not bigger.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established

heres your checklist

1. attitude

2.  focus

3.  desire

Overtraining is very real, and is the reason a lot of young trainers don't make better progress. At 20, I used to to full body workouts 3 X a week and and would nearly puke every workout day. I did 20 sets for triceps and could bench 340 lbs, AND I came back and did it again 2 days later! Did I grow. YES. But knowing what I do now, I realize I would have made better progress working each bodypart once a week to absolute failure.

Ronnie Coleman brags his recuperative powers are the fastest he has ever seen. He claims that 1 hour after he totally exhausts a bodypart, he feels like it is ready to work again. Yet he sticks to once a week per bodypart because he is smart enough to realize the feeling of recovery is an illusion, and even with his recovery and the insane amount of gear he uses, he would sacrifice gains by doing more. Yah, I guess he is a puny little girlie man. But I doubt you would have the balls to say it to his face.

Destro, you give a lot of good input, but I will not let irresponsible advice to forum members go unchecked.

babygetoboy, read this thread:

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4898

Jay Mc

Awards
a friend of mine once said some people are big despite their training routines... :)

J

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
a friend of mine once said some people are big despite their training routines... :)

J
LOL. So true. But they would get bigger and better by paying attention to sound training principles and by not overtraining.

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
If you guys feel so bad about arnolds routine, what do you guys use and/or reccomend.

destro19

destro19

Awards
I said work hard not stupid.  everyone has limits and you wont know them till you go all out.  im just sayin you gotta findout what works. I lift hard as hell and I continue to grow. I never get smaller, I always get stronger. I always see if theres a extra rep or a extra set left in me before I leave the gym.  All im sayin is you dont know what overtraining is untill youve overtrained. you cant just look at a workout routine and say "wow thats overtraing" cause who knows you may be undertraining yourself. 

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
Good point destro, I decided instead to make my own 4 day split and see how my body responds to that.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I found out about overtyraining the hard way. On my first 1-test/4-AD cycle, my strength shot through the roof and I started working each bodypart twice a week...to absolute failure. in my 5th week, I began to lose strength, and by cycle's end, I was down in bed with flu for the first time in years. I NEVER, EVER get sick. But I did gain 15 lbs in the first 2 weeks!

I am stronger now than I was then on ph, and I work each part once a week, and I never lose size either. If you can comb your hair as you leave the gym on arm night, you're not pumped enough. :D

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
personally i stick to mike mentzer's routines..hehehe

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Benz, what's your routine/split?
Everyone is different. This split works best for me:

Arms-Monday
Legs-Tuesday
Shoulders, Chest-Thursday
Back, traps-Friday.

You can do abs every other day once your solar plexus gets used to the routine. Forearms and calves can also be worked 3-4 times a week

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
What reps/exercises do you do Benz? Sorry If I'm Being bothersome.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
not me i can never go back..pandoras box opened and i refuse to shut it

babygetoboy

Banned
Awards
Wojo, I just finished reading HIT the Mentzer Way, his latest book, and it all made so much sense. What is your HIT routine?

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
right now im using his consolidation routine

i go every 7 days which is every thursday since i have limited equip at home..as of last week i was doing routine 1 dips deadlifts routine 2 squats pulldowns..this week im starting his base line at l.a fitness its been awhile since i did actual bench presses because of equip limitations and injuries so we shalll see if i can hit my old high mark again..cant wait for thursday this week

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
If you want to try a HIT routine go to GOTFINA.com and do a search on Iron Addict. He has had amazing results with his clients and others using HIT. Or got Swolecat's site site and look under the swolebary (or something like that) and see Silverbacks basic HIT routine.