Sicking to Routine or Switching It Up??? - AnabolicMinds.com

Sicking to Routine or Switching It Up???

1. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Sicking to Routine or Switching It Up???

Ive developed a theory as far as training specific muscle groups. I understand most people develop training routines to follow for periods of time and use certain exercises to hit a specific muscle group. But how does not sticking to those routines and just doing what feels good and throwing in different excercises for a certain muscle on diff. days sound???

I was thinking that it would train the muscle to adapt in different ways. Not letting it get used to a specific movement. Does this sound good or is it just another crazy theory in my madman brain? Should one just stick to the tried and true way of routines for a couple months and then switch it up?

2. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

For me personally it is not enough structure, but there are members that do that type of thing. I believe BigPeteFox does something to that tune.
  3. Advanced Member

I agree with mullet. With a structured work out I can track my gains much easier, and see what types of training allow me to get stronger and grow. When "doing what feels good" I feel I sometimes want to do my favorite exercises all the time, and often find myself getting bored in the gym.
    •   

4. Board Supporter

a lot of big time powerlifters have a basic layout and play it by ear when they get in the gym.
  5. Professional Member

I usually keep one main staple and then do different exercises I recently switched to a MAX OT style but I still change exercises examples
    Chest Flat Bench stays then i might do incline presses incline bench flat flyes decline presses whatever I feel like

BAck Wide grip lat pulldowns always then i could do seated rows dumbell rows whatever

It keeps me from getting bored and as long as I keep one mainstay to gauge strength increases I am good.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

i kind of do the same mixed, a main exercise then with the others try to switch it up if i feel i have done one or two exercises often enuff.

i understand the reasoning of keepin it structured and is mainly to gauge gains, but i feel i can tell how much stronger i am getting based on feel...you can say its not accurate but hey as long as i am growing and getting stronger its works for me. when my gains start to slow down or stop then i will be more precise in my training i.e. keeping logs.
  7. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    i kind of do the same mixed, a main exercise then with the others try to switch it up if i feel i have done one or two exercises often enuff.

i understand the reasoning of keepin it structured and is mainly to gauge gains, but i feel i can tell how much stronger i am getting based on feel...you can say its not accurate but hey as long as i am growing and getting stronger its works for me. when my gains start to slow down or stop then i will be more precise in my training i.e. keeping logs.
    Exactly. It is not a very scientific approach, but I feel if it works for you then keep doing it. For me personally, I have to be structured or else I feel like I'm not getting anything done.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

good to see im not crazy
  9. Professional Member

good to see im not crazy
    Your not crazy but one thing i do do is keep a log of my workouts even though the exercises may change the log gives me a structure. The one main exercise lets me see changes weekly and monthly but the log also lets me see changes for instance in may i might have done decline presses so the next time i do decline presses I can still see if the weight has changed.
    I have actually logged all my workouts since DEC 1st on an excel spreadsheet so i can go back any day any month for the last 7.5 months and see what i did and where I am at. On cycle, Off cycle during PCT.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

sounds like something i need to do but not sure if i want to walk in a crowded gym and write in a log....i think i need to develop some structure tho' because in the gym sometimes i dont even count reps i just do them. Like today i was trying 5x5 style but some sets i would go for 8 reps etc. some exercises i went 5x5 some i went 4x10, didnt really feel that good of a workout im thinking i might just respond better to high reps but then again my energy was just not there today.
  11. Professional Member

sounds like something i need to do but not sure if i want to walk in a crowded gym and write in a log....i think i need to develop some structure tho' because in the gym sometimes i dont even count reps i just do them. Like today i was trying 5x5 style but some sets i would go for 8 reps etc. some exercises i went 5x5 some i went 4x10, didnt really feel that good of a workout im thinking i might just respond better to high reps but then again my energy was just not there today.

OH i just log it in when i get back home or back to the office. I know what you mean about writing in a log in the gym I do a max ot style workout so only work 2 body parts at most so it's pretty easy to remember the exercises.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

do you try hard to just stick with a set amount of reps per excersize?
  13. Professional Member

do you try hard to just stick with a set amount of reps per excersize?

I'm on a max ot workout right now So I need a min of 4 max of 6 If i can get more than 6 I move up in weight. I also like to do a 1 rep max while on cycle.
  14. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

mixed- can you post me a link or a good site where i can read on details on Max OT??? Im looking to do the same i heard of something else like that i think german something.... I'll give you rep points if you can ;]
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. To continue 1 shot a week or break it up
    By 12brother2 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
  2. Need to Switch it Up- Off of Recreate NOW WHAT?
    By paulygon in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 12:22 AM
  3. 3 day workout...continue or switch it up?
    By avs126 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM
  4. looking to switch it up
    By gerryh649t in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
  5. Switching it up again
    By jasonschaffin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 06:56 AM