Just Getting Back Into It... Quick Critique Appreciated

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.27%

Just Getting Back Into It... Quick Critique Appreciated

Well I was in pretty damn good shape about 2 years ago before I decided that partying litteraly 6.5/7 nights a week was too much fun to pass up. Went from 5'11 195 10ish% bf up to 218 lbs and probably a bit over 20% bf. It's amazing what happens when you get drunk every night and down about 2k calories worth of Jack In The Box before passing out huh...

Anyways, here is what I'm doing now:

Day 1: Chest/Shoulders/Tri's

Incline Bench 5x5
    Flat Dumbell Bench 3x8
    Decline Bench 3x8
    Dumbell Shoulder Press 3x8
    Dips 3x10

Day 2: Legs/Abs

I have a banged up knee from wrestling, so I have to be careful here. I normally do leg press and something for the hammies and calf raises. Very open to ideas on safe, good leg workouts. Didn't focus much on legs during wrestling. I was a huge 152'er and having "chicken" legs helped me make weight.

Day 3: Back/Bi's

Pullups 3x10 (need help getting them all right now I'm sad to say)
    Single Arm Rows 3x8
    Single Arm "Chinups" (on those machines that use plates and sort of swivel, hope you know what I'm talking about) 3x8
    Deadlifts 3x8
    Shrugs 4x10
    Curls 3x10 (thinking about dropping them as my back excercises seem to kill my bi's all by themselves)

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Starts over again.

I'm doing 30 mins of lowish intensity cardio 5x a week right now in the mornings on an empty stomach before class. Going up to 45 mins/session next week. Goal is fat loss.

Seeing pretty good progress so far. After about 2.5-3 weeks I'm down to 208 with noticable fat loss and good improvements in strength.

My goal is to maintain as much muscle and strenth as possible while losing fat until I get back down to around 195. Diet/Nutrition is in check. Eating 5 small meals a day and around 2000 clean cals. Avoiding sugar and processed starches.

Supplements:

Whey Protein
    Fish Caps
    Multi's

Thinking about trying out some of the new creatines, but other than that I'm not one that believes in magic pills and powders. I'm not trying to compete or anything, just want to look like a larger version of myself back during the wrestling days and feel good.

Let me know what you think. What can I improve upon/change? If you think it's a good way to start let me know as well. Just looking for feedback.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

nice to have you back. you have a high volume workout schedule here. I know that you are training mutiple muscle groups here but with high intensity sets and low rep ranges id consider dropping an exercise on chest shoulder tri day, 17 sets plus warm ups is alot at once to me. 20 sets on back bis is pretty high too. also id consider going for high reps to burn more calories add endurance, harden up and ease back into things. on leg day avoid heavy quad ext as they tend to strain the knees and wear the tissue behind the platella. have you heard of cissus rx to heal old tendon/connective tissue injuries try searching it. ultimately you know your body more than anyone else so dont over do it as that could leave you in a deficit and under doing it will still put you ahead.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.27%

Thanks for the reply... Please keep the opinions coming guys!

Opinion on dropping curls on back day?

And on chest day... I guess decline would be the best candidate for the drop?

I'm naturally a very fast gainer, so I like to push it hard. But one of the main reasons I wanted to post here was to hear others opinions as I do NOT want to overtrain.

Opinions on adding creatine? Or should I just stick with the protein, whey, fish oil, and multies?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SHSUStudent
    Thanks for the reply... Please keep the opinions coming guys!

Opinion on dropping curls on back day?

And on chest day... I guess decline would be the best candidate for the drop?

I'm naturally a very fast gainer, so I like to push it hard. But one of the main reasons I wanted to post here was to hear others opinions as I do NOT want to overtrain.

Opinions on adding creatine? Or should I just stick with the protein, whey, fish oil, and multies?
    Creatine is a great addition if you got money to burn BCAA's are great too, play it by feel on back day with the curls.
    Last edited by somewhatgifted; 06-19-2006 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.27%

Thanks for the info so far Somewhatgifted.

Anyone else care to offer their opinion? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Getting back into wrestling/mma...help appreciated
    By ZStehlik in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2009, 03:16 PM
  2. Getting back into it
    By vika808 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 02:04 AM
  3. Help, getting back into it
    By CokeNaSmilee in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14