yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Beginners Take Weightlifting Too Easily

Men and Women Pick Weights Too Light for Results, Study Shows
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Friday, September 17, 2004

When it comes to weightlifting, beginners may need to pump up their load.

In a recent study, male and female beginners chose weights that were too light to do them much good.

Stephen Glass, PhD, EPC, FACSM, of Grand Valley State University, and Douglas Stanton of Wayne State College, studied 13 men and 17 women.

All were weightlifting novices in their late teens or early 20s.

The researchers turned participants loose in a weight room with little guidance, telling them to choose a load they thought would "be sufficient to improve your muscular strength."

Participants didn't know how much weight they were lifting, since the weights' markings were covered with tape.

The group tried bench press (chest), leg press, pull-down (back), military press (shoulder), and bicep curl exercises.

They were also instructed to provide an overall rating of their degree of effort during the weight lifting exercises.

A few days later, they repeated the test.

Lightweight Results

All participants chose weights that were below the optimum amount.

To build muscle size and strength, weightlifters must hoist at least 60% of the maximum amount they can possibly handle, say the researchers. But in this study, no one lifted that much.

Instead, participants chose weights closer to their comfort zones, ranging from 40%-60% of their maximum ability. Studies have shown that loads under 60% are generally ineffective at increasing muscle strength.

Fighting for Fatigue

In addition, participants didn't do as many repetitions of the exercises as the researchers had expected.

Lifting to the point of exertion -- where you can't lift any more -- is required to for maximal strength training, say the researchers.

There was no macho advantage.

Both male and female participants chose weights that were too light, and both genders did fewer repetitions than the researchers expected.

Learning the Ropes

Many beginners find it hard to make up their own effective weightlifting routines.

Without pumping enough weight and working to the point of exertion, novices might quit from discouragement after seeing little progress, say the researchers.

That's not to suggest that beginners overdo it.

Instead, new weightlifters may want to seek help from knowledgeable trainers.

"The client can then be trained to perceive the effort required for effective resistance training, and perhaps then they will be better able to self-regulate their training," write the researchers.

The study appears in the May edition of The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

SOURCES: Glass, S. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, May 2004; vol 18: pp 324-327. News release, National Strength and Conditioning Association. Associated Press.

redraiderdave

Awards
  • Established
I need to show this article to the guy I saw doing leg lunges with 12.5 lb dumbells this morning. :icon_lol:

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What about the "half-squatters"?
15 year olds at my gym load up the bar and go above parallel and think they're beasts walking around huffing and puffing.:icon_lol:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
What about the "half-squatters"?
15 year olds at my gym load up the bar and go above parallel and think they're beasts walking around huffing and puffing.:icon_lol:
Kids (shakes head). At least their in the gym. I was engaged in much less health activities at 15.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Beginners Take Weightlifting Too Easily

Men and Women Pick Weights Too Light for Results, Study Shows
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Friday, September 17, 2004

When it comes to weightlifting, beginners may need to pump up their load.

In a recent study, male and female beginners chose weights that were too light to do them much good.

Stephen Glass, PhD, EPC, FACSM, of Grand Valley State University, and Douglas Stanton of Wayne State College, studied 13 men and 17 women.

All were weightlifting novices in their late teens or early 20s.

The researchers turned participants loose in a weight room with little guidance, telling them to choose a load they thought would "be sufficient to improve your muscular strength."

Participants didn't know how much weight they were lifting, since the weights' markings were covered with tape.

The group tried bench press (chest), leg press, pull-down (back), military press (shoulder), and bicep curl exercises.

They were also instructed to provide an overall rating of their degree of effort during the weight lifting exercises.

A few days later, they repeated the test.

Lightweight Results

All participants chose weights that were below the optimum amount.

To build muscle size and strength, weightlifters must hoist at least 60% of the maximum amount they can possibly handle, say the researchers. But in this study, no one lifted that much.

Instead, participants chose weights closer to their comfort zones, ranging from 40%-60% of their maximum ability. Studies have shown that loads under 60% are generally ineffective at increasing muscle strength.

Fighting for Fatigue

In addition, participants didn't do as many repetitions of the exercises as the researchers had expected.

Lifting to the point of exertion -- where you can't lift any more -- is required to for maximal strength training, say the researchers.

There was no macho advantage.

Both male and female participants chose weights that were too light, and both genders did fewer repetitions than the researchers expected.

Learning the Ropes

Many beginners find it hard to make up their own effective weightlifting routines.

Without pumping enough weight and working to the point of exertion, novices might quit from discouragement after seeing little progress, say the researchers.

That's not to suggest that beginners overdo it.

Instead, new weightlifters may want to seek help from knowledgeable trainers.

"The client can then be trained to perceive the effort required for effective resistance training, and perhaps then they will be better able to self-regulate their training," write the researchers.

The study appears in the May edition of The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

SOURCES: Glass, S. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, May 2004; vol 18: pp 324-327. News release, National Strength and Conditioning Association. Associated Press.
I might need some help with this one, but I do and don't disagree. I've just started to be able to train my legs in the last 6 weeks. I was out almost 6 months of intense leg training. In the beginning I tried to kill them with high reps and moderate weight. I was sore. Now I am using less reps and higher weight. I am sore. My point being that there is a very thin line between a beginner efficient and ineffecient weight. I think a novice deserves 6 weeks of getting their technique and body ready for more intense work. Now a career low weight lifter is a just not sucessful. No other thoughts there.

The part I put in bold, doesn't tell you if these were couch potatos or OK atheletes. A couch potato is gaining more from too light a weight than a more confident athelete. Sure lift heavy, get results; but it doesn't address the inactive and untrained well I beleive.