Requesting a chest routine.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have been doing therapy for about a month for my rotatoer cuff andf i havent been able to work out my chest or shoulders for a long time.

for when i am able to train again, can you pleas recommend a chest routine that is NOT hard on the rotator cuffs?

same with shoulder routine too, thank you very much this is a vbery helpful forum so far.

Puerto Rico

Awards
try push ups..its working even better than weights for me,,everyday, along with joging,, & tons of cissus...intel u ready for weights

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
People with Rotator Cuff injuries usually tend to stay away from Barbell pressing movements and switch to dumbells. DB's allow you more freedom of movement and your shoulders won't be "locked" into a specific position. Remember to always stretch well before you w/o. Stretch your chest as well as do some super light (5 lb. DB's), front raises, lateral raises and rear raises, to warm up those rotators. good luck, take it slow coming back.

i have been doing therapy for about a month for my rotatoer cuff andf i havent been able to work out my chest or shoulders for a long time.

for when i am able to train again, can you pleas recommend a chest routine that is NOT hard on the rotator cuffs?

same with shoulder routine too, thank you very much this is a vbery helpful forum so far.

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I have injured my Rotator cup to. ( At least I think thats what it is ) and I also got the same info about just using the Dumbell flatbench and dumbell Incline, and I have to say. It does not hurt no where as bad as the flat bench does.
Tried to do flat bench again yesterday, because I thought my should was feeling alittle better, and I about dropped the bar on myself. My injury was about 5 weeks ago, and I am kinda hard headed and am hoping it will just get better, but I think I am gonna have to break down and go to the Dr. and get a MRI done on it.

Best of luck to you.

Gator762

Awards
This is a little old, but I have been training for many years from a rotator cuff injury and haven't been 100% since, so I thought I'd chime in.

As Viperspit mentioned, DB seem easier on the shoulders. That seemed to help me. Go see your doc about exercises to strenghten your rotator cuff muscles and do them.

Training: WARM UP, then stretch. For warm up, do 5-10 min of cardio. When you hit the weights, work up to your training weight slowly. Say you train with 80 lb DB's. Start with something you feel, say 20's, and push out 15 reps. Don't go fast. Then I typically move down to 5 reps not to burn out. Do 30's, then 40's, and so on until you get to your training weight. Don't rest inbetween. When you finally get to your training weight you can take a minute or two to rest.

Always remember your shoulders, and in your case never do a max singles. It's asking for trouble.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I had a tear in my cuff, happened about early march.
What i did was went to therapy for about 4 weeks.

Then i just continued my own therapy, which consisted of front raises, can turn overs (your hand is in a position as if your pouring somthing out of a can or jar) then you make a motion up as if your slowly dumping the contents of the can...like side lateral but with hands turned upside down and arms are making a v-shaped motion from waist up, youll end up in a 10/2 oclock position.
^That exercise really help my muscles around the cuff...

Besides that i did light laterals(side)(rear)and laying face down on a table and repeating side laterals and swing backs(pulling my arm from a side position toward the sky while laying face down)

All those worked wonders...now i can easily handle db inclines and also incline bench presses with ease...i can handle flat bench but i just dont do them due to unease or uncertainty.

Last time i maxed it was around 355-365, in january...last week i was at 305(just testing myself for loss)

rafter

Awards

First off, what are your goals other than being able to do chest work? You going for size, strength, both....????

Secondly, you should be fine with db or bb. This is only provided that your form is right on every time. This may take some getting used to though. Where most shoulder problems come into play when someone is doing bench press, is when they are flaring there elbows out too much. By flaring your elbows out you are putting alot of the work on your shoulders. This being primarily a chest movement, you want very little play in your shoulders. To fix this, you need to have your arms come down at a slight angle. In watching and learning from some of the big benchers the angle should be slightly less than 45 degrees from your sides.

This may be a big change for you but its something you need to do to save your shoulders. If your chest workout is very strict as to what it is supposed to work, you should also be able to do shoulders the same day.

Gator762

Awards
Ugh. I got a little gung-ho changing up my workout and am a bit sore now. I forgot my rule which has been getting me back on track very well. Add only one exercise per workout, so you can see how it effects your shoulder.

One of my shoulders was too bad for free weights and I was using machines. Yesterday I added DB decline, incline, and narrow grip barbell to my chest/tri workout.

Fortunately it doesn't feel too bad. I have to cut back the exercises and skip a few days now, so I lost progress. Doh!

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
dont try and push yourself too hard at first, u dont want to re-injure yourself. stick to lighter weights and higher reps for a lil while, also maybe take some cissusrx and joint boost

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
when doing bench presses don't do it down to your chest do it to about 2-3 inchs away from your chest its a lot easier and less risky on the shoulders.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
when doing bench presses don't do it down to your chest do it to about 2-3 inchs away from your chest its a lot easier and less risky on the shoulders.

if you dont touch the chest it's not a legit bench press, if you're goin to stop 2-3 inches above, just do a 2board

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
if you dont touch the chest it's not a legit bench press, if you're goin to stop 2-3 inches above, just do a 2board
its actually a lot safer for your shoulders and hits your chest just as well,i go down to about an inch from my chest and then go back up

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
its actually a lot safer for your shoulders and hits your chest just as well,i go down to about an inch from my chest and then go back up
actually stopping before hand is worse for you shoulders w/o a board or something there. especially if you are benching with your elbows flaired. tucking elbows takes the stress off the shoudlers

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
it still works the pecs, ok its not as good but it is far safer on the shoulders and the Supra-spinatus tendon, if as a personell trainer I was to tell a client to do the full range of motion and they injured there shoulder I would be liable.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it still works the pecs, ok its not as good but it is far safer on the shoulders and the Supra-spinatus tendon, if as a personell trainer I was to tell a client to do the full range of motion and they injured there shoulder I would be liable.
so instead of teaching them the correct way to bench, you would rather just tell them to stop a couple inches off the chest so you're not liable? you keep doing that and when they go away from you and try to touch their chest, with the same weight they are stopping above, the muscles and tendons wont be used to it. and that will lead to them getting hurt.

injuries will happen when it comes to weightlifting. just part of the game