Deadlifts

spike1205

Awards
I love'em, straight leg, any way it doesnt matter, they are my favorite excercise. Does anyone no why more people dont do them? I work out at a BAlly's (which may be the reason) that i never see anyone doing them. Anyone else like them them as much as me?

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Yea, definitely one of my top three favorite exercises, along with bench and squat. I rarely see anyone doing them correctly at my gym. Those that do, typically do them incorrectly. Great workout for the gluts. I just had a guy approach me the other day and ask my why I was doing them because they only made his lower back hurt. Great exercise to compliment squats as long as they are separated by at least a couple of days.

JFP2026

Awards
Deadlifts are my favorite lift too.

It's probably because they are my heaviest lift, it feeds my ego. :D

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
deadlifts, squats....man i cant imagine structuring a w/o routine without 'em....i enjoy doin 'em cause its really satisfying to build your strength up...plus since i've been doin deads more consistently i've notcied and overall improvement in thickness...

in my gym there's only a couple of us who do deads so thats one exercise there's no waiting:D :D :D folks dont do 'em 'cause they're hard...and they wanna b pretty boys instead

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
people say I'm nuts because I can hardly wait for deadlift day to come, it is an awesome lift, makes you feel like a f*ckin' caveman or something!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
lmao, caveman!! It's true though, back day is my favorite anyway, but I love deads :) I just had my best on Sun, 405 for 6 reps SLDL. :cool:

dieseldude

Awards
Sun, 405 for 6 reps SLDL
awesome Weave.

Its right up there on my list too. I think because its a great "core" lift.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't like deads, but I do them as a necessary core exercise for trunk strength and stability.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Mmmm....deadlifts Rack/partial deads...Mmmm. Favorite lift.....Mmmm

Nelson

I also love DL`s.
It must be that dizzy feeling they give me when I`m done. :)

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I hate them! I would rather squat. But I think thats because I am not doing them right. Could someone run through the proper way to do them? When ever I do them on my third rep my back starts to round. I keep trying to drop my ass but... I think I am going to drop the weight alot and work on my form.

corpsedub

Awards
i recently got into deads a couple of months ago..they gym that i go to is full of posers so they look all confused when someone comes in and does deads..i love the way they make me feel. :p

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
I hate them! I would rather squat. But I think thats because I am not doing them right. Could someone run through the proper way to do them? When ever I do them on my third rep my back starts to round. I keep trying to drop my ass but... I think I am going to drop the weight alot and work on my form.
might sound a bit conceited....but take a film of yourself performing some deads and see at what point of the lift you end up rounding your back. You must try to keep the bar as close to your shins as possible throught the motion and keep doing what you are doing with sticking of the ass out. If not taping yourself, take a lighter weight and see yourself in a full length mirror to get the form down solid. then proceed with with higher weight. Sage

(From abcbodybuilding)

Stand before the weight in a solid, shoulder width stance (may be up to six inches wider), shin to the bar. You are about to bend over and pick up a heavy object before you and this should be your mental approach.

Bend at the waist and at the knees equally and at the same time. Grasp the bar fully and securely in an overgrip or an alternate under/over grip about waist width (may be up to six inches wider for comfort). Looking straight ahead, your spine in a powerful flat position (not stooped over or rounded), focus, regulate your breathing, breath in deeply and steadily pull the bar to a full military position. Keep the bar close to the body and exhale as full force is exerted. Pause for a second of contraction and slowly bend your knees and low back as you return to the starting position and repeat.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Sage. I think I am going to lower the weight and check my form. Thanks again.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
What rep range do you use, 4-6 for me. Also I'm 6'2 235 is a 575 lb deadlift good for me on a single?

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I don't like deads, but I do them as a necessary core exercise for trunk strength and stability.
I don't like em either John :D but you can be damned sure I do em as well... as intelligent, knowledge seeking bros we (everybody here, hopefully) know better than to do the whole "ditch exercises just because ya don't like em" thing... BUT...

Does anyone no why more people dont do them?
people don't do em cause they're pussies... they're hard, but total the actual amount of time per week spent deadlifting that bar, and you'll balk at people who wuss out of them.

dieseldude

Awards
originally posted by Biggin
people don't do em cause they're pussies... they're hard, but total the actual amount of time per week spent deadlifting that bar, and you'll balk at people who wuss out of them.
Well said, lol!

p.s.

Awards
I've been doing them for the better part of 24 years (in one form or another), and I believe that they're the reason that my back is one of my better body parts.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
p.s. Welcome to the board. I would like to introduce p.s. to rest of you. He has one of the most impressive natural physiques seen on the planet. His back rivals any IFBB pro.

p.s. is proof you can come very close to the juicers with just hard work and proper nutrition. :)

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
p.s. Welcome to the board. I would like to introduce p.s. to rest of you. He has one of the most impressive natural physiques seen on the planet. His back rivals any IFBB pro.

p.s. is proof you can come very close to the juicers with just hard work and proper nutrition. :)
gotta pic?

Rolling6s

Awards
hmmm

Nobody has mentioned sumo deads..........I like them better but IMO i can move more weight w/standard DLs.

These have made my ass get really big, which I don't necessarliy mind and the lady seems to dig it too.

ALSO, for the first time on Tues i did db deadlifts...........it's much different IMO b/c of how much lower you have to get down to perform the lift, seems to bring the quads into the picture more......kinda like doing DLs with a trap bar and a bunch of 25s on each side.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
heh, man. i had to comment on this. bump on the cave man simile:)

they are my fav. lift as well next to the flat bench. deads get me so fired up when im doin em. its like im more aggressive during the lift. im almost positive that i feel some sort of adrenaline rush as well. after a HEAVY set, i feel like breakin down a wall, heh.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
another back shot

same day, relaxed here-all natural

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Again, What rep range do you use, 4-6 for me (especially you P.S.-Great back!). Also I'm 6'2 235 is a 575 lb deadlift good for me on a single? Heres a picture of me doing 500 at 235.

workout_king

Awards
I love doing deadlifts. I rotate between half deads and regular Deadlifts.
I find my traps are getting hella bigger and my back is looking thicker.
So i will do them hard and heavy.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
p.s. - YOU'RE a BEAST! Though your name is kinda getting to me, because I keep thinking that it's the p.s. that goes after a letter or a note, as an after thought....

As for Deadlifts, I love them. Definitely one of my favorite exercises.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Again, What rep range do you use, 4-6 for me (especially you P.S.-Great back!). Also I'm 6'2 235 is a 575 lb deadlift good for me on a single? Heres a picture of me doing 500 at 235.
Is anybody going to give me their rep ranges? I would really life to know what works for you guys, heavy sets of 2-3, 6-8, etc.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by supersize77

Is anybody going to give me their rep ranges? I would really life to know what works for you guys, heavy sets of 2-3, 6-8, etc.
I do 3 sets: 8 reps, then 6, then 3-4

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
I do 3 sets of parital deads at 10-6-4 reps (back day)
Another 3 sets of regular deads on leg day at 10-8-6

Sage

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the response guys, always interesting to see what works for different people.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
supersize77 how on earth can you stand doing DLs without any shin protection? Do you have any skin left to cover your tibias?

Maybe I'm just a pussy. Then again, Squat and deadlift are my favorites...

Oh, and when you do them, do you push through your heel or through your entire foot area?

I'mma try through the heel today because my DL weights suck...

Last edited:
lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
i hear ya dude. i used to have that same problem, only now i dont have it. why? i dunno. i honestly cant remember. next time i do deads, ill pay attention and post back. im pretty sure though, that i just didn't pull the bar as close or something, also using bigger plates helps as well. see if ur gym has some 75 lb. plates or alike. ;)

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
i hear ya dude. i used to have that same problem, only now i dont have it. why? i dunno. i honestly cant remember. next time i do deads, ill pay attention and post back. im pretty sure though, that i just didn't pull the bar as close or something, also using bigger plates helps as well. see if ur gym has some 75 lb. plates or alike. ;)
Same here, I just focus on keeping good form and it hasn 't been a problem.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Well, I went and did DLs yesterday and something definitely was wrong. So I spent the whole evening away from pr0n sites to verify proper form :D

Finally, I *THINK* I know what I was doing wrong : A lot of people advise starting the lift with the shins touching the bar. Also, a lot of people advise gripping the bar WIDE. Well, that's what I was doing. As wide as for a bench press. The result is that at the beginning of the lift, to bring my spine flat, my ass was nearly touching the ground. I was completely scrounched up together... No wonder the poundages remained low.

I guess the way you do it is you grab the bar so that your arms are only a little wider than your knees? That would have your thighs about parallel to the ground when you bring your spine into a flat/arched postition at the beginning of the lift...? Am I getting it right?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
hahaha, dude, u got me confused now.

im pretty sure that i just use the same grip width as my flat bench press. like 2 or so feet apart?

def. dont have the bar touch ur shins, u want it close, but not that close. just close enough so that u get a good stretch with the negative motion. dont let the weights slam off the floor each time u lower it. it should always be controlled. then explode up. when raising the weight, u should use ur lower back, hamstrings, upper traps, etc.

push up with ur whole foot.

some people just take longer to get the form down, dont worry itll come to u. but i def would stress that u need to practice proper form cuz u will bust ur $hit up pretty good.