Awards
day 1 chest
day 2 back
day 3 shoulders
day 4 legs/abs
day 5 triceps
day 6 biceps/forearms
rest

each workout is approximately 2 hours long with plenty of rest in between sets. my exercises vary, but I try and stick to the basic lifts with the heaviest weight in the beginning and move to smaller, more specific muscles near the end of the workout. I do approx 6-7 exercises per day, on avg 4 sets each. Reps are anywhere from 5-12 depending on weight

critique? questions? suggestions?

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hard to critique what is not there. YOu told us body parts you are using, but specifically what exercises for how many reps and sets is what we need to know. Also 2hours is too long in the gym I would say. I think 1.5 hours is the most you should be in before it becomes counter productive.

ottomaddox

ottomaddox

Awards
Can you say overtraining. I remember when I was that young and would spend 3 hours in the gym. What a waste of time. How about breaking up the workout and taking a day or two off during the week to rest and recuop. You'll make more gains in strength and size by taking some time off. Your body needs rest to grow and with the workout schedule you keep, your body doen't have time to replenish itself.
Good luck,
CR

beefjerky

Awards
Well...lets see...
chest day has its bench and incline bench, along with dumbbell press both flat and incline. I'll throw in some cable flys or decline and call it a day there.
For back...pulldowns wide or narrow, bent rows, bent dumbell rows, etc.
Legs...squats always, then some dead, press, maybe lunges, extensions, leg curls or straightleg deadies, calfs in a few different ways and machines
you get the idea?
Also, if you notice, my workout gives time off for specific bodyparts so that they're not affected within a short amt of time. For instance triceps get 2 days before chest is even hit again, and who uses all tri in a chest workout anyway?

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
day 1 chest
day 2 back
day 3 shoulders
day 4 legs/abs
day 5 triceps
day 6 biceps/forearms
rest

each workout is approximately 2 hours long with plenty of rest in between sets. my exercises vary, but I try and stick to the basic lifts with the heaviest weight in the beginning and move to smaller, more specific muscles near the end of the workout. I do approx 6-7 exercises per day, on avg 4 sets each. Reps are anywhere from 5-12 depending on weight

critique? questions? suggestions?
2 hours if definately too long of a workout for the type of program you are doing. If you were doing a full upperbody workout focused solely on strength, you could possibly, but still not really, get away with it, only if you had a protein shake and maybe a carb drink of some sort going throughout the work out. 2 hours for tris is absurdly too long. IMO, you don't need one work out specifically for tris, and bis/forearms for that matter. To be more efficient combine bis/tri/forearms into one workout, and give yourself another day off. It could look something like this:
day 1 chest
day 2 back
day 3 rest
day 4 shoulders
day 5 legs/abs
day 6 triceps/biceps/forearms
day 7 rest

or probably even better combine another day so it looks like this:

day 1 chest/back
day 2 rest
day 3 legs/abs
day 4 shoulders
day 5 rest
day 7 rest

It seems like you are going for mostly strength as you say it takes you two hours per workout to complete, yet the way you have your workout split, its more for hypertrophy than strength. If strength is what you are looking for I would look in the Training Forum or Powerlifting forum. You may also want to post your diet so it can be critiqued. I hope this helps and good luck!

-PVSH

beefjerky

Awards
Diet is tracked via fitday 40/40/20 CPF.
I'd like to try out that double combined day you posted pretty soon.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
2 hours if definately too long of a workout for the type of program you are doing. If you were doing a full upperbody workout focused solely on strength, you could possibly, but still not really, get away with it, only if you had a protein shake and maybe a carb drink of some sort going throughout the work out. 2 hours for tris is absurdly too long. IMO, you don't need one work out specifically for tris, and bis/forearms for that matter. To be more efficient combine bis/tri/forearms into one workout, and give yourself another day off. It could look something like this:
day 1 chest
day 2 back
day 3 rest
day 4 shoulders
day 5 legs/abs
day 7 rest

day 1 chest/back
day 2 rest
day 3 legs/abs
day 4 shoulders
day 5 rest
day 7 rest

It seems like you are going for mostly strength as you say it takes you two hours per workout to complete, yet the way you have your workout split, its more for hypertrophy than strength. If strength is what you are looking for I would look in the Training Forum or Powerlifting forum. You may also want to post your diet so it can be critiqued. I hope this helps and good luck!

-PVSH
The only thing I find with this routine (as I have tried it) is that tris / bis are too sore to do chest/back with just one day of rest. For that reason, I use:

Day 1 : Back /Traps
Day 2: Chest/Shoulders
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Legs/Abs
Day 5: Bis/Tris
Day 6: Off
Day 7: Off

It keeps everything to one week, if you need that structure. I often mix and match days depending on how I feel. Also, my workouts rarely, if ever, go past 1hr, 15 mins.
cc

beefjerky

Awards
I feel 3 days rest would be too much for me. How about
1: Shoulders
2: Back
3: Rest
4: Chest
5: Legs/Abs
6: Rest
7: Bi/tri/forearms

2 days rest, everything gets a break. And my workout doesn't have to follow a weekly schedule. All I have is school and working out.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that's still overtraining, 3 days off like canadian said will work

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do not think shoulders need their own day really. They can be incorporated anywhere, but are such a global muscle that a whole day just isn't needed.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I do not think shoulders need their own day really. They can be incorporated anywhere, but are such a global muscle that a whole day just isn't needed.

Delts are hit pretty well during chest days, but I still believe in giving them some work. I like to put them on a light day (usually my fridays) and through traps and forearms in with them. Definately making sure I do atleast one mass building exercise and then hitting all three heads (most of the time with lateral raises).

But jerky...you gotta find what works best for you man...everybody is different. if you're seeing gains, then stick with it. My advice is just change things around every 3-4 months...

beefjerky

Awards
Yeah, I've been running my current schedule for a couple months with success and I'm soon to change it up.
And I have to do shoulders with more focus because there are plenty of things for me to do each time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I've been running my current schedule for a couple months with success and I'm soon to change it up.
And I have to do shoulders with more focus because there are plenty of things for me to do each time.
I never said don't do direct work, I just said an entire day devoted to shoulders isn't needed. I throw shoulders in on arm/chest/back day w/ a few sets of a compound exercise and they are fine.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
that's still overtraining, 3 days off like canadian said will work
Hey! I said it first, lol.

day 1 chest/back
day 2 rest
day 3 legs/abs
day 4 shoulders
day 5 rest
day 7 rest

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Gotta do rotators delts my military press upright row raises, etc. So much stuff to cover.
I give you props on doing your rotator cuff, its often a very overlooked muscle group. Mullet is right, you don't really need a shoulder day, you can throw them in on your back or chest day. My front delts get hit pretty hard, so I usually throw in military press and some side laterals and call it a day. I usually do a couple sets of rear raises too, but only a couple because they get hit pretty hard on back day.