Hand grip ?????? IN OR OUT???

• Thread starter dirtysouthmuscl
  • Start date

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Man i've noticed some diff in arm shape. I don't know if this is stupid or not but Im sure someone on here does. When i bench I use the outside of my palm to press with my thumb and my pointer finger are really not doing anything. Now I have a friend who uses the inside of his hand like thumb and pointer resting the weight there. Ive tried this and it feels like my arms are pushing more than my chest. But That BA*****s arms look so much better and I have Alot bigger Chest. Any link.
And If so Which is better. Any Powerlifters let me hear your thoughts. And If you've never thought about it try it .

size

Awards
  • Established
For safety, when I bench (which is rarely) I would have the bar placed more into my hand with my thumb wrapped around the bar touching my index finger.

Hopefully, some of the heavier lifters can give you some better advice.

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What about Dumbells do you grip them at the top or the bottom and let them roll into your thumb& pointer. or top and let them roll to you outside.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
You're talking about using a false grip, thumb not gripping the bar, or a true grip. I use both and depending on the bar the false can be dangerous.

If you have bent bars at your gym like there are at mine, doing a false grip on bench or close grip bench can end with the bar on your chest.

You'll have to wait for the powerlifters to respond but I find more forearm stress when using the full grip.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i try to keep my wrists as straight as possible and let the weight sit evenly throughout the bottom of my palm. i have the tendency to let my right wrist fold back, and that leads the bar to go up my palm which is very bad. i had 455 roll back and my hand bent all the way back and i dumped the bar back towards me. if it wasnt for wrist wraps i probably would of broken my wrist

and i always wrap my thumb around the bar

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Now were gettin somewhere. I also do that let my wrist bend, instead of straight. My grip is not strong enough to handle what my chest can. So Im really screwed I do bent and outter palm.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Now were gettin somewhere. I also do that let my wrist bend, instead of straight. My grip is not strong enough to handle what my chest can. So Im really screwed I do bent and outter palm.

fix it now while you can, you're wrist will thank you a lot, you dont need crazy grip strength to grab the bar that way, it will sit in there perfect when you find the right spot. also get wrist wraps, i wrap my wrists super tight(dont have any feeling in them after a min) from 225 on. how much do you bench?

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Wraps are so important and so overlooked by all the "look I don't use a belt or extra **** to lift" people. I'm doing TUT right now and wraps are saving my wrists.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
grip the bar as if your life depended on it. that keeps my wrist as straight as can be. i tried wrist wraps a few times but i didn't like em.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wraps are so important and so overlooked by all the "look I don't use a belt or extra **** to lift" people. I'm doing TUT right now and wraps are saving my wrists.

cant stand those kind of people, as i always say to them, you dont use a belt because it weakens your core? that's great, why dotn you just train your core more?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
grip the bar as if your life depended on it. that keeps my wrist as straight as can be. i tried wrist wraps a few times but i didn't like em.

this also helps stabalize the bar a lot, most of the time i squeeze it and and try to bend the bar at the same time

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
fix it now while you can, you're wrist will thank you a lot, you dont need crazy grip strength to grab the bar that way, it will sit in there perfect when you find the right spot. also get wrist wraps, i wrap my wrists super tight(dont have any feeling in them after a min) from 225 on. how much do you bench?
About 405 dont try to go any higher just dont see the point (FLAT) and about 365 incline. Tape wrist till they turn pink.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a light bend back in my wrist to use the meaty part of my palm for the bar. I also don't grip the bar hard unless i'm doing close to my max weight since I was having forearms issues from death gripping everything. Since i've been dieting and not using heavy weights I keep my thumb behind the bar and just use the 'false' grip' for now. Our bars in the gym are straight and I don't use that grip when i'm lifting heavy.

As far as belts and such. I didn't use them while bulking until I hit heavy weights because that was the building the core stuff and wearing a belt too often would of negated that. I guess if I had more time I could go the route of working the core more but with holding up all that weight my back stayed fried anyways:)

I would suggest using a grip that keeps the weight off your head and also keeps your wrists and forearms injury free. I doubt the grip is what is holding you back from size gains.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same boat as guyfromkop2, I use the wraps because they do save my wrists. I've lifted with and without and I prefer them only when I go really heavy (ME Bench and Leg day).