Losing fat while bulking?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.24%

Losing fat while bulking?

I have some unwanted fat in a few areas and I realize you can't spot train. Recently I started doin 2 days of cardio a week in hopes that maybe I will eventually start to notice some of the fat going away. I haven't noticed anything yet.

I don't want to full out cut because I'm not that big to begin with. I'm 6' around 184 and probably around 12-13%. I started out at 150lbs and now I have a little flab around my lower chest and I developed a gut. Those are my problem areas.

If I do 3-5 days of cardio a week after my workouts while maintaining a bulking diet, will I lose fat while putting on good muscle at the same time? Or is it a lost cause?

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jjm
    I have some unwanted fat in a few areas and I realize you can't spot train. Recently I started doin 2 days of cardio a week in hopes that maybe I will eventually start to notice some of the fat going away. I haven't noticed anything yet.

I don't want to full out cut because I'm not that big to begin with. I'm 6' around 184 and probably around 12-13%. I started out at 150lbs and now I have a little flab around my lower chest and I developed a gut. Those are my problem areas.

If I do 3-5 days of cardio a week after my workouts while maintaining a bulking diet, will I lose fat while putting on good muscle at the same time? Or is it a lost cause?

I would say it all depends on your diet. Post us up your macros and let's have a look. FnF has been on a 12 week bulking diet and has lost fat while only doing cardio once or twice a week. The key once again is your diet.
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.1%

Personally I think you should make up your mind whether you want to bulk or cut. Doing the cut-bulk usually ends up going nowhere... which doesn't mean that you can't limit the amount of fat that you add while bulking or limit the amount of muscle you lose while cutting.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.61%

This can happen... as you build more muscle, more calories are being used... increased RMR.
    Good luck.
    cc
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.24%

Quote Originally Posted by Viperspit
    I would say it all depends on your diet. Post us up your macros and let's have a look. FnF has been on a 12 week bulking diet and has lost fat while only doing cardio once or twice a week. The key once again is your diet.
    I'm going to put my flame suit on and say I don't keep track of them...

If you'd like I could tell you what I ate for yesterday?:
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.71%

diet and they type of cardio you do can help greatly take a look in the weight loss forum there are alot of good threads on what type of cardio burns the most fat vs muscle
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.99%

You can absolutely do this. Just keep your cardio reasonable (3x a week is a good number, run one day, swim one day and do something else of your choice for the third day), and dial in your diet and training. I think fish oil and green tea are useful here too, and I'm a huge fan of albuterol.

Obviously this doesn't apply if you're ~10% bodyfat, but if you're not already really lean you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
  2. What supp is good to reduce fat while bulking?
    By Hard Knox in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 07:27 AM
  3. Losing fat while gaining muscle?
    By Nacho1545 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 01:19 PM
  5. Losing fat while bulking- possible?
    By hypo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2