WebMD: 9 Least Effective Exercises

  1. Registered User
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poised on the brink of disaster.
    Posts
    6,372
    Rep Power
    10345

    Post WebMD: 9 Least Effective Exercises


    9 Least Effective Exercises
    Experts name their top picks for fitness moves that are best to avoid.

    When you're trying to make the most of limited exercise time, the last thing you want to do is waste effort on exercises that don't pay off.

    Exercise physiologist and fitness consultant Joseph Warpeha says there are two types of exercises we should avoid: Those that can easily lead to injury, and those that don't produce results.

    http://www.webmd.com/content/article/122/114709.htm

  2. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    That makes sense, especially considering the only one of those I have ever done is the BTN Military.
  3. Registered User
    Sea223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    33
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    260

    Nice-thread
    You mean you can't spot reduce-Damn!! I think this thread will be great for many people. Lots of great info that Muscle and Fiction doesn't tell you about. Rep for you
    •   
       

  4. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Achilles13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    721
    Rep Power
    468

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    That makes sense, especially considering the only one of those I have ever done is the BTN Military.

    Yep. I don't ever do BTN Military or Lat Pulls. I do question the upright rows though... As far as the leg press goes, I swore I saw a bbing video where a guy was going past 90 deg and everyone praised him, why bad now?
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles13
    Yep. I don't ever do BTN Military or Lat Pulls. I do question the upright rows though...
    I have done them in the past and they absolutely brutalize my shoulder. When you think of the awkward position your putting your RC, then slapping that much resistance on it, you could be asking for trouble. I think they were mainly trying to get across these exercises should not be regime staples.
  6. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,382
    Rep Power
    2867

    Here's my take:

    BTN Militarys: Only lower the bar till your arms are at 90 degrees

    Upright Rows: Only bring the weight high enough so that your arms are parallel with your shoulder joint.

    Leg Press: Go as low as possible without your but coming off the pad, this will put your lowerback at risk.

    I do agree with the smith machine back squats and behind the neck pulldowns though.

    Any others you guys can think of?
  7. Gold Member
    myfathersboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    289

    Yeah, Mostly agree...especially about the behind the back lat pulldowns....However, I enjoy upright rows...It is a little precarious but I use a reasonable amount of weight....As for leg presses, fewer things annoy me more than some jackass on the leg press machine moving a stupid amount of wieght about 6 inches.....grrrrrrrrrr

    So, in response to that particular part of the article, ummm....I'm calling bullsh1t....go all the way on leg presses or don't f'ing bother.....
  8. Gold Member
    myfathersboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    289

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS
    Here's my take:

    BTN Militarys: Only lower the bar till your arms are at 90 degrees

    Upright Rows: Only bring the weight high enough so that your arms are parallel with your shoulder joint.

    Leg Press: Go as low as possible without your but coming off the pad, this will put your lowerback at risk.


    I do agree with the smith machine back squats and behind the neck pulldowns though.

    Any others you guys can think of?
    Yep.
  9. Registered User
    DazzlinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    265

    Smith-machine squats are a no-no?? Okay, how's a person gonna be able to squat using a lot of weight without a spotter, and without being able to put a bar in a place where you can easily hoist it on your shoulders and walk out to perform the movement?
  10. Board Supporter
    Rage (SoCal)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,930
    Rep Power
    1076

    My standard is, if you can't complete the motion correctly and safely, it is too heavy for you making the exercise almost counter-productive. IMHO, there is no reason to prove your ego to everyone else in the gym by squatting or deadlifting more than you can handle.

    About a month ago I squatted 405 for 4 reps (free weights), and afterwords I thought to myself, "Sure...that was heavy but I would probaby get better results with something lighter and more controllable for my strength. Basically there is no reason for me to be lifting that heavy, unless I want to intentionall screw my knees up more than they already are."



    For the most part, I'm going to have to agree with that list.
  11. Registered User
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poised on the brink of disaster.
    Posts
    6,372
    Rep Power
    10345

    "Exercise physiologist and fitness consultant Joseph Warpeha says there are two types of exercises we should avoid: Those that can easily lead to injury, and those that don't produce results."

    I think this is the point that was being emphasized in many of the exercises you all have mentioned. They were trying to keep people from injuring themselves (hard to keep up the mass if you can't workout because of a serious injury).
  12. Recovering AXoholic
    Board Sponsor
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11888

    Charles Glass (the personal traininer for the muscle-tech sponsored athletes) actually recommends upright rows for shoulder development, but recommends bringing the bar to nipple height instead of going all the way to the chin. I know I shouldn't be listening to anything muscle-tech says, but I figured their personal trainer has got to be pretty effective, since thier supplements sure as sh*t aren't.

    Do you think bringing the bar to nipple height makes for an effective exercise?
  13. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,382
    Rep Power
    2867

    Yep that's what i suggest, and Charles Glass is literally the best trainer of bodybuilders in the world. And as far as the smith machine squats, i tried them a LONG time ago and they feel un-natural to say the least (I know lifting weights isn't natural so don't even start that argument). I've got no problem using the smith machine for front squats though, i really like doing them on it actually.

    What do you think about calf raises? Lower to 90 degrees, or go as deep as possible? I go to 90 degrees, i was told to do this in a fitness theory course i took and i like it much better, going below 90 just stretches out the achilles tendon, was their reasoning. So i go from 90 to right up on my toes and hold for a count of 2-3.
  14. Gold Member
    Ronin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    43
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    368

    The surgeon who performed my shoulder surgery who is one of the best in the country, actually internationally recognized as an expert in the field and has many years of sports medicine knowledge, etc.... (he also has something like 35 patents for inventing orthopaedic devices)... anyway - he said if you don't currently have shoulder issues but you perform the following exercises:

    Lat pull-down behind the head
    Behind the neck military press
    upright rows

    you WILL eventually have shoulder issues.

    IMHO, why risk it?








    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner
    Charles Glass (the personal traininer for the muscle-tech sponsored athletes) actually recommends upright rows for shoulder development, but recommends bringing the bar to nipple height instead of going all the way to the chin. I know I shouldn't be listening to anything muscle-tech says, but I figured their personal trainer has got to be pretty effective, since thier supplements sure as sh*t aren't.

    Do you think bringing the bar to nipple height makes for an effective exercise?
  15. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At the buffet
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    27397

    I bring the bar just above the nipples with upright rows. Any higher is awkward and puts too much strain on my shoulder.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  16. Registered User
    Sea223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    33
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    260

    Quote Originally Posted by myfathersboy
    As for leg presses, fewer things annoy me more than some jackass on the leg press machine moving a stupid amount of wieght about 6 inches.....grrrrrrrrrr

    So, in response to that particular part of the article, ummm....I'm calling bullsh1t....go all the way on leg presses or don't f'ing bother.....
    In exercises such as leg press, squat, and lunges, bringing the knee over the toes and increasing flexion in the knee past 90 degrees increases the shearing force which predisposes you to patello-femoral injuries. Not worth it to me.

    I guess I could care what others think in the gym though about me moving "6 inches"..........But I'd rather save my knees. :squat:

    Also, with the upright row -not going above the shoulder does reduce the risk of impingement.
  17. Registered User
    bearmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    259

    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlinJack
    Smith-machine squats are a no-no?? Okay, how's a person gonna be able to squat using a lot of weight without a spotter, and without being able to put a bar in a place where you can easily hoist it on your shoulders and walk out to perform the movement?
    A power rack solves all those problems and are found in pretty much every gym.....
  18. Gold Member
    myfathersboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    289

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea223
    In exercises such as leg press, squat, and lunges, bringing the knee over the toes and increasing flexion in the knee past 90 degrees increases the shearing force which predisposes you to patello-femoral injuries. Not worth it to me.

    I guess I could care what others think in the gym though about me moving "6 inches"..........But I'd rather save my knees. :squat:


    Watever ya gotta tell yourself, bro
  19. Registered User
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,579
    Rep Power
    923

    just do high pulls instead, much like an upright row but works the entire posterior chain as well.

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HighPull.html

    Takes out the negative component, works your traps more, still hits your shoulders nicely too.
  20. Registered User
    Sea223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    33
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    260

    Quote Originally Posted by myfathersboy
    Watever ya gotta tell yourself, bro
    Yeah exactly-I've learned this through schooling, so I follow it. I don't really care if you do though. I was posting this for peoples information.
    Before I was educated I would think much like yourself. No worries though.
  21. Gold Member
    myfathersboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    289

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea223
    Yeah exactly-I've learned this through schooling, so I follow it. I don't really care if you do though. I was posting this for peoples information.
    Before I was educated I would think much like yourself. No worries though.
    hey, if a six-inch range of motion works for you, then keep it up, pumpkin....
  22. Banned
    FitnFirm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    bobo's clown cave
    Posts
    3,636
    Rep Power
    0

    Oh blow me!!!!!!!! Im not going to listen to a podiatrist on upright rows, PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I see great results with these, and lots of striations.

    I disagree, I think the motion helps flexibitly, so kiss my rump foot doctor!
  23. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlinJack
    Smith-machine squats are a no-no?? Okay, how's a person gonna be able to squat using a lot of weight without a spotter,
    ask someone in the gym or squat in a rack with pins

    and without being able to put a bar in a place where you can easily hoist it on your shoulders and walk out to perform the movement?
    it's called practice
  24. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Squats on the Smith machine. This is a squat you do standing at a machine that has a barbell on a sliding track. The barbell rests on your shoulders, behind your head.
    In a true squat -- done as you hold a barbell at your shoulders -- the bar doesn't go straight up and down as it does with the Smith machine, Warpeha says: "Looking from the side, the bar has some sway."
    "On the machine, the bar doesn't give, so it forces the body into disadvantageous biomechanical positions," he says. People also tend to put their feet further in front of their bodies when doing squats on the machine, which adds to the problem.
    Considering that today's adult population is wrought with knee and back problems, says Danberg, the last thing you want to do is an exercise that might aggravate weakness and injury.


  25. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,382
    Rep Power
    2867

    I like high pulls they're a fun movement.
  26. Registered User
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poised on the brink of disaster.
    Posts
    6,372
    Rep Power
    10345

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnFirm
    Oh blow me!!!!!!!! Im not going to listen to a podiatrist on upright rows, PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I see great results with these, and lots of striations.

    I disagree, I think the motion helps flexibitly, so kiss my rump foot doctor!
    LOL, way to show the passion!
  27. Registered User
    Gethuge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    324

    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlinJack
    Smith-machine squats are a no-no?? Okay, how's a person gonna be able to squat using a lot of weight without a spotter, and without being able to put a bar in a place where you can easily hoist it on your shoulders and walk out to perform the movement?
    It's called a power rack. Most real gyms have them. And a home gym owner shouldn't even be thinking of buying a smith machine if they don't have a power rack and a decent bench.
  28. Registered User
    charliewat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    OHIO
    Age
    34
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    185

    The only one I have ever done is the upright rows. I never liked em anyway
  29. Banned
    FitnFirm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    bobo's clown cave
    Posts
    3,636
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by charliewat
    The only one I have ever done is the upright rows. I never liked em anyway

    I would never quit doing upright rows, just dont go as high as your chin, crap I cant get far past my chest so I dont have to worry about anyway, lol

    Ive grown alot from upright rows, I love them
  30. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At the buffet
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    27397

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnFirm
    I would never quit doing upright rows, just dont go as high as your chin, crap I cant get far past my chest so I dont have to worry about anyway, lol

    Ive grown alot from upright rows, I love them
    I'd be very surprised if you COULD get them around that chest.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  31. Registered User
    Ripw4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep South
    Age
    34
    Posts
    172
    Rep Power
    187

    I have more problems with tricep exercises than anything.
    Its seems my left elbow area always gives out before I can finish.. So I am not doing any tricep iso's for 2 weeks.. let them get back to normal then start wearing elbow support I guess.
  32. Registered User
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,698
    Rep Power
    513131

    Quote Originally Posted by myfathersboy
    Yeah, Mostly agree...especially about the behind the back lat pulldowns....However, I enjoy upright rows...It is a little precarious but I use a reasonable amount of weight....As for leg presses, fewer things annoy me more than some jackass on the leg press machine moving a stupid amount of wieght about 6 inches.....grrrrrrrrrr

    So, in response to that particular part of the article, ummm....I'm calling bullsh1t....go all the way on leg presses or don't f'ing bother.....

    Well, I will say that I USED to go all the way down, but now it does put some hurt on the lower back if I do that. I agree on the 6 inches thing though..at least go to parallel or just before your butt starts to come off the pad. This is where staying flexible becomes golden as it lengthens your range of motion while allowing for proper form.
  33. Registered User
    Sea223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    33
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    260

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman

    I agree on the 6 inches thing though..at least go to parallel or just before your butt starts to come off the pad.
    I used the 6 inches as a figure of speech, I do see people loading up the leg press and doing it that way and I laugh on the inside - me putting quotations around the 6 inches made it a figure of speech. I go to parallel and always have. All I was saying is that deeper could cause injury in the long run.
  34. Registered User
    MaynardMeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,110
    Rep Power
    676

    HAHA! YES getting off your sofa to get the remote is NOT on there.. i got my ab work out set then!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Least effective supplements
    By FL3X MAGNUM in forum Supplements
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 11:59 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 02:01 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 12:29 AM
  4. Is this exercise effective?
    By 5111 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
  5. diet and exercise effects on chics period
    By hamper19 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in