tense abs

luger96

Awards
Has anyone tried contracting abs during any exercise while breathing in and keeping abs tense while exhaling completing a full set of any exercise? A Trainer once said it is a great way to avoid inbalance of muscle growth and achieve symmetry. Is this true in anyones experiences

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried contracting abs during any exercise while breathing in and keeping abs tense while exhaling completing a full set of any exercise? A Trainer once said it is a great way to avoid inbalance of muscle growth and achieve symmetry. Is this true in anyones experiences

Are you talking about symmetry in your abs? If I remember correctly, that is pre-determined by your genetics, the amount of muscle already there and that can be built..... someone correct me if I am wrong.

~Mk

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, there's pretty much no way you can alter if your ab muscles are going to be symmetrical.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established

theragingbull

Awards
You know the abs and the how much can you bench question
are always the two most stupid questions you can be aksed
My abs are as hard as a brick and flat I just don't have the symmetrical design but i'm alright with that the same goes with the bench press question who cares I'm in it too be big and live alonger Not to brag about my lifts.

SizeMatters

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like a good way to get a hernia to me :)

I don't think asking certain lifts are stupid. They may mean something to someone and just like you they are in it for their own reasons. Kinda like riding motorcycles. Some prefer different bikes but you're still in the same lifestyl. Enjoy what everyone brings to the table.

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i tense my abs as much as i can through my cardio workouts.

also tense my abs most of the time doing curls ....

i may do it on other exercises...but those are the exercises i do it on purpose and actually think about it all through the exercise

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tense but not inhale and tense I mean. I did actually try that once hence then hernia comment. It felt like I was about to get one.

alguard

Awards
Tense but not inhale and tense I mean. I did actually try that once hence then hernia comment. It felt like I was about to get one.
I once had an inbalance on my back. My right side of my back was tense and noticably stronger than my right. So I dedicated one whole year to back. One day instinctevly tried keeping my abs tense while inhaling on the eccentric and keeping abs tense while exhaling on the concentric movement of straight legged deadlifts for reps ..And pop a weird shock went to my nerves on the side of my back were I had the existing imbalance. It was a good thing and a bad~
Conclusion, I had major discomfort and took a 2-week break.
Did alot of strecthing, well when i went back in the gym I was able to move up in weights starting w/ deadlifts and felt like I could fire up those lower back muscle fibers w/ using my tense ab technique..and use this for every exercise. I no longer suffer from that imbalance and am looking more and more symmetrical and balanced overall..

Oh and if you cant even tense your abs through the inhale exhale portion. You probably will get hernia, my suggestion- focus on developing strong abdominals before attempting my tense abs technique.:squat:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nah, had a double hernia so I am careful when it comes to abs.

alguard

Awards
Try it out w/ very light weights that just until u get the feel for it or just use it on certain exercises u feel comfortable with..:dl:

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thats the way ive always done it, otherwise I think your wasting your time? It working for me :)

alguard

Awards
Thats the way ive always done it, otherwise I think your wasting your time? It working for me :)
Great post finally, Someone agrees. The tensed ab technique is something you have to master and I would'nt recommended for biginners.
'ITs an intermediate to advanced method.
A good suggestion for beginners would be to practice stomach vacumes and hold for as long as you can.
Execute by exhaling all the air in your lungs (make sure you don't slouch< keeping a good posture) and then try the vacuum and arch your back and lift your arms up as high as you can stretch..sounds easy.
If you feel any discomfort stop and start again untill u master
this technique.

?Fitnfirm? Do you compete or just model Clothing? U seem to have good knowledge on fitness?:pose:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do it to maintain a balance through my lifts in pulling and squatting, not to neccessarily build the abs themselves. Pulling and squatting with a weak and loose core can lead to problems elsewhere

alguard

Awards
Indirectly you actually are stimulating the abs. Even though it is not a direct hit like sit-ups. Kinda like before a contest its recomended that you flex for at least 30-45min a day. Some pros, like arnold once said he flexed everyday after workouts especially to bring out those extra fibers that make striations appear. I myself flex every morning trying to flex ever fiber I can feel.

First I start with my feet, tense my calves, quads, hams, glutes, lower back(lumbar region), exhaling, abs serratus, forearms, biceps and triceps, in a downward motion, then as I lift my arms delts, inner,outer, back, and lastly chest into a most muscular pose. And hold it as long as I can.
Sometimes I inhale and tense all and sometimes I exhale and tense all. Ultimately it' s having control of as many muscle that you can contract no matter if you inhale or exhale. IN that case you can tell from the ones that dont flex often because when asked to perform a particular pose they shake and cant keep steady (*No control*)

It s so very obvious that most pro's these day don't exhale
while various poses,Like most muscular because it opens up the chest girth therefore appearing wide and long. Leaving it hard for them to suck there stomachs in Hence the belly ban.
Just look at shots of the oldies. When doing a most muscular for example they exhale making the stomach vacume and then expanding the chest and lats.
It just looks different. Look at ronnie for example that guy so huge that posing is almost effort less for him. But ask him to suck that gut in and then make a most musclular pose?
I'm not saying he can't but ive never seen it.