Elliptical and coloric expenditure

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Is this thing really accurate on the number of calories burned ? I seemed to have a much tougher time on the treadmill at the same heart rate (usually 130, no more then 140) when I use the elliptical. Is the calory thing just my perception or is there something to it ?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I tend to disregard the calorie expenditure on the elliptical. Too many factors are involved to get an accurate reading, and I have gotten very different readings from one machine to another. The same goes for heart rate.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I dont trust the calorie reader on the elliptical. I love the things, but you have to be sure and keep the intensity up to make it comparable to running.

Or just screw 'em both and use the stair master...then you *know* you're getting you ass whooped:D

BV

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
NO JOKE.....the stair master on high = death.

az2u

Awards
I use the Life Fitness elliptical all the time. I use the manual setting and start off on level 8 at 80-82 rpm. If I'm pushing it(level 8-14)I'll burn about 550+ calories in 30 minutes according to the calorie reader. Now if I ware my Polar heart rate monitor to compare total calories burned,the Polar hr monitor is usually around 150 calories less.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It does seem like a really high amount of calories burned per mile (or whatever unit of distance).

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Like Beo said, too many variables for those to be accurate.

I tell my clients to use it as measuring tool. When I'm pushing them hard on their cardio, their goal is to burn more calories on that day's wo than the previous session. I always have them enter the same info...their weight and age always the same no matter what it's actually changed to.

Those calorie counters are reliable, just not accurate. Sort of like a 13" ruler that says it's a foot. It will never be accurate, but it will be reliable.