Manta Ray Squat Device - AnabolicMinds.com

Manta Ray Squat Device

1. New Member

Manta Ray Squat Device

I've seen the Manta Ray and Sting Ray discussed on other sites, and generally the feedback has been good. I haven't heard to much about it here though, I was wondering what you guys think about it.

http://www.adfit.com/mantaray/index.asp
    http://www.adfit.com/stingray/index.asp

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Looks like the people who use it really like the comfort. I tried but it just ended up resting uncomfortably on my traps, actually it was very uncomfortable. Another thing is that it will force the bar higher on your shoulders, and when I'm squatting heavy I'd rather rest it down mid to lower trap so that it almost feels like it could roll off at any second, which of course it won't.
  3. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reidhoch
    I've seen the Manta Ray and Sting Ray discussed on other sites, and generally the feedback has been good. I haven't heard to much about it here though, I was wondering what you guys think about it.

http://www.adfit.com/mantaray/index.asp
    http://www.adfit.com/stingray/index.asp
    I can see a purpose for the stingray, not the mantaray. Front squats leave my shoulders badly bruised.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The sting rays are nice..really do help with the bruising and help you to keep focused on proper form. They're a little awkward at first.

I do like the Manta, however as Fly pointed out, they have some drawbacks. They hook into your traps so it can be painful though I got used to it very quickly. I like them for the fact that they help me maintain good balance and form with working rep weight ranges, but for going ultra heavy they are not so good.
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    I like them for the fact that they help me maintain good balance and form with working rep weight ranges, but for going ultra heavy they are not so good.
    Do you dislike them for ultra heavy because they require you to maintain good form and balance? Also, do you believe that the device allows you to squat more since you wont be focusing so much on shoulder pain?

Reid
  6. New Member

I love the manta ray, never tried the sting ray.
  7. New Member

I have the manta ray but I hardly use it anymore. I just wrap the bar with some pipe tubing and squat.

For those that use the sting-ray, does it help keep the bar from wanting to roll down the arms, throwing you off balance?
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The stingray does help keep the bar on your arms.

What I meant by going ultra heavy with the Manta is that for me at least, it really makes the manta cut into my traps because that's where the device rides. Afterwards it would give me a pretty righteous headache. For lower weight loads it was fine.
  9. Registered User

using any of those things feels really weird for me .. i just like having the bar on my back
  10. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reidhoch
    Do you dislike them for ultra heavy because they require you to maintain good form and balance? Also, do you believe that the device allows you to squat more since you wont be focusing so much on shoulder pain?

Reid
    At a certain point, shoulder pain is irrelevant for back squats. Just build your traps big enough and you'll be set.

Front squats though need big shoulders. Mine I feel aren't big enough yet to prevent bruising; the bar digs straight to bone or at least it feels like that.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squating problems b/c of knee & other problems - help
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
  2. Bench/Squat max
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
  3. Advanced Fitness Manta Ray
    By djbombsquad in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
  4. squats and deads, placement in split?
    By dbag333 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:53 PM
  5. What does it mean if, when doing squats, your lower back hurts?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 12:52 AM