Manta Ray Squat Device

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Looks like the people who use it really like the comfort. I tried but it just ended up resting uncomfortably on my traps, actually it was very uncomfortable. Another thing is that it will force the bar higher on your shoulders, and when I'm squatting heavy I'd rather rest it down mid to lower trap so that it almost feels like it could roll off at any second, which of course it won't.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The sting rays are nice..really do help with the bruising and help you to keep focused on proper form. They're a little awkward at first.

I do like the Manta, however as Fly pointed out, they have some drawbacks. They hook into your traps so it can be painful though I got used to it very quickly. I like them for the fact that they help me maintain good balance and form with working rep weight ranges, but for going ultra heavy they are not so good.

reidhoch

Awards
I like them for the fact that they help me maintain good balance and form with working rep weight ranges, but for going ultra heavy they are not so good.
Do you dislike them for ultra heavy because they require you to maintain good form and balance? Also, do you believe that the device allows you to squat more since you wont be focusing so much on shoulder pain?

Reid

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
I love the manta ray, never tried the sting ray.

NiteHawk

Awards
I have the manta ray but I hardly use it anymore. I just wrap the bar with some pipe tubing and squat.

For those that use the sting-ray, does it help keep the bar from wanting to roll down the arms, throwing you off balance?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The stingray does help keep the bar on your arms.

What I meant by going ultra heavy with the Manta is that for me at least, it really makes the manta cut into my traps because that's where the device rides. Afterwards it would give me a pretty righteous headache. For lower weight loads it was fine.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
using any of those things feels really weird for me .. i just like having the bar on my back

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you dislike them for ultra heavy because they require you to maintain good form and balance? Also, do you believe that the device allows you to squat more since you wont be focusing so much on shoulder pain?

Reid
At a certain point, shoulder pain is irrelevant for back squats. Just build your traps big enough and you'll be set.

Front squats though need big shoulders. Mine I feel aren't big enough yet to prevent bruising; the bar digs straight to bone or at least it feels like that.