can someone please tell me if this is overtraining the biceps?

GOG

Awards
i work the biceps once a week, on thursday ( monday- chest and tuesday- shoulders) and this is my routine. I was wondering if am working them out too much.

Alternate dumbell curls- 5 sets of 6 reps

wide grip barbell curls- 4 sets of 8, 8, 6, 6 reps

close grip barbel lcurls- 4 sets of 8, 8, 6, 6 reps

incline dumbell curls- 4 sets of 6 reps

Hammer curls- 4 sets of 6 reps

forearm barbell curls- 3 sets of 10 reps

Can someone tell me if this is a good or bad workotu for the biceps or can it lead to overtraining?

thanks,

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Um, yeah this is way too much. For biceps, IMO, I think that only 3 different exercises with 3-4 sets for biceps is plenty. Also is good to do your biceps in the same routine as your shoulders or chest. This will help with total arm volume, where as biceps alone, usually only focus on the peak of the bicep.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
way too much volume, your bicep isnt that big of a muscle

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Just do 2-3 sets of Ironman Curls (21's) & 2-3 sets of Concentration Curls and that should do it for you.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
the only person i know who does over 20 sets for biceps is lee priest. in my opinon about 10-12 sets is good

Cwbc85

Awards
Definately agree with the others, far too much volume. Training the biceps isn't a complicated process at all. As long as you've got your pulling movements sorted (rows, chins etc.) all you really need is 1 or 2 exercies for the biceps.

I'd keep it simple eg. some barbell curls and hammer curls.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definately agree with the others, far too much volume. Training the biceps isn't a complicated process at all. As long as you've got your pulling movements sorted (rows, chins etc.) all you really need is 1 or 2 exercies for the biceps.

I'd keep it simple eg. some barbell curls and hammer curls.
Completely agree with this post. More overload is placed on the biceps from heavy back work than any curl.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This my train of thought, if you are doing more sets for a small muscle than you do for legs, you are WAY over. I would say you should easily be doing more for large muscles than small. Also you have many isolated movements. Add some barbell rows/seated rows, pull ups, lat pull downs (not neccissarily all these), but just add some compound movements than 1, maybe 2 isolated exercises.