Noisy Meatheads. What's so bad about that?

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just watched Pumping Iron for the Zillionth time to day. Still get's better and better every time I see it :) However, it kinda made me think of a topic that I've seen come up quite a few times on several boards. Making noise while lifting. Now, I know this is a touchy subject and like with anything there's no ONE definitive answer as the situation dictates what makes the act ok or just plain retarded.

However, let's look at it like this. Since I can remeber making grunting or straining noises, maybe even a little yell seems like an atomatic responce when struggling to lift something/push something/pull something ect. Even when you watch a little child struggle to lift their bodies off the floor or up the stairs you can hear their little grunts. Construction/blue collar workers aren't unfamiliar with the occasional ball wrenching grunt here and there throughout a day of heavy and hard work.

Now back to the topic at hand, I noticed there was plenty of noise going on with pretty much all the BBer's in Pumping Iron. So here's where someone usually make the comment like "Yeah but they're all HYUUGE and lifting massive amounts of weight". True but I'm going to say that they're huge from lifting massive amounts of weight. That being agreed upon (we all agree on that right?), should it be that taboo for a guy who's not huge to not make the same or similar noises when he's strainging his nuts off? BTW, I'm not talking about screaming as that's just something that I'd save for my own private gym, a competition, or my bedroom ;-) At most I'd say the kind of noises that Louie was making, minus him yelling "AHNOLD!", when he was doing partial military press.

Also I wasn't sure to put this in the General Discussion section or here so mods, do as you will :) seemed relevant to training.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well the only time i make noise or grunt is during VERY heavy singles of deads or squats .. i agree that it is at times basically impossible not to let out a slight grunt .. but its never really that loud

my main problem is morons grunting on every rep of a 10 rep set .. if its 10 reps its not THAT heavy .. if you can lift something that many times there is no need to grunt on the first or even seventh rep

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
my main problem is morons grunting on every rep of a 10 rep set .. if its 10 reps its not THAT heavy .. if you can lift something that many times there is no need to grunt on the first or even seventh rep
Yeah, I agree with glen here. I see people grunting throughout the entire set. I understand that you may grunt for a rep or two, but throughout is just ridiculous!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I agree with glen here. I see people grunting throughout the entire set. I understand that you may grunt for a rep or two, but throughout is just ridiculous!
Or grunting like crazy because they're lifting too damn much, and they end up grunting like apes every single rep and looking like a spastic chicken because form went out the door before the first rep was completed.

And then of course there's grunts and there's GRUNTS, and just outright screams. At one of my old gyms, a guy trained there who you'd swear was being murdered every set he did. Just lifting though.

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you're almost failing at the end of your 10 rep set then is there that much of a difference between the last few reps of a 10 rep set and say 2-3 reps of heavy deads or squats or whatever that you seem to validate grunting during?

BTW, I do understand that your main point was grunting "excessively is kinda silly". However, it's kind of fun now and then and if feels good. No?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Gruntin loudly is a good way to keep dumb#ucks from talking to me while I am trying to train. IMHO :D

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
If you're almost failing at the end of your 10 rep set then is there that much of a difference between the last few reps of a 10 rep set and say 2-3 reps of heavy deads or squats or whatever that you seem to validate grunting during?

BTW, I do understand that your main point was grunting "excessively is kinda silly". However, it's kind of fun now and then and if feels good. No?

personally usually at the end of a set i'm more fatigued rather than giving such a high level of effort as when deading 515 .. so i'm not really prone to grunting

and i don't really like doing it because honestly NO ONE wants to hear you grunting at the gym ... but as i said occasionally you can't help it and there's nothing wrong with those times

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dunno???? Granted my gym is FAR from hardcore ie. Gold's in Cali where Arnold was lifting, and the time's have changed. Still it really doesn't bother me any to see someone who's really pushing themselves (moving some decent weight also helps enforce this) make a little noise.

BTW, does anyone know what it is the coffee co.'s arent' telling us?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Holy crap was that put well!! bravo!! I completely agree.

Sea223

Awards
  • Established
Mostly I just breathe During my sets. Maybe a little grunt here and there. But breathing mostly- There's this juiced up fat guy who thinks he's the sh1t who always wears the same spandex shorts and top- Hairy mofo too that freakin yells his brains out with some light weights. Hilarious- yet irritating at the same time- Just Breathe

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
I believe deeply that releasing everything at the end of each difficult rep is a good idea...its similar to the way martial artists grunt on the exale of a blow...its a release.

If you think I'm full of crap, compare it to sex...when you can holler out in exctasy, its much better than when you have to hold it in.

I know what kind of peopl you're angry about, and I agree, loud displays for the sake of attention or whatnot are BS, but I KNOW that I lift better when I forcefully exhale at theend of a rep and let that out with a bit of voicalization...nothing crazy, but there one the less...especially durign near-max squats...how can you reach that level of intensity without making some noise?!?!?

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
All that screaming is just energy leaving the body that isnt being used on the lift

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Breathe if you need to...Breath heavy if you want to....

The rest of it is just pretentious theatrics......

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LOL, I can see this one won't ever die... with me anyway. I love the comparison of grunting/being noisy in the sack. IT'S WAAAY better on both sides (in other words I like vocal women). Or the martial arts comparison with the ke yi (sp? no clue on that one sorry if I butchered it to anyone who does know). Wonder if the guys who like to keep quit are also mime-****er's in the bedroom? No need to let me know if any of you boys are...I'm not THAT interested.

As for theatrics, what about the guy who lifts at home, in his basement, alone? That'd be me for the first 3-5 years of lifting. Theatric's? Could be I do amuse myself...although I like to do that mainly in the shower :rofl: