Hammer Strength...

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I love the isolateral HS incline press -- A big reason being I can't kick up dumbs nearly as heavy as I can lift, always need a spotter on the first rep if I'm going to go heavy with dumbs.

I too have very long arms and I find the HS puts more stress on my chest and less on the anterior delts, which otherwise tend to outpace chest development.

I work out at two gyms. One has the plate-loaded version of the HS incline, the other has the weight-stack version. I find them both effective, but the two machines do stress the chest differently. I prefer the plate-loaded version, but I also like to mix them up.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20
    Have any of you guys that have trouble bringing it down all the way tried a powerlifting style...

My feet don't reach the floor w/o arching my back and I don't want to do that...another reason I like the HS equipment that sits you upright. I have to put my feet up on the bench if I want to do flat bench and sometimes it gets a little hard to balance towards the end...not to often, but enough to make me think about it when benching that way...
    •   

3. So I just tried the HS Incline/Decline for chest today. I have to admit, I like it. My shoulders feel great (pumped but not sore) and my chest feels like it got a great isolation workout, as I was able to get a full stretch without taxing the rotator cuffs, just like you guys have mentioned. Workout went like this:

HS Incline 135x12, 225x12, 315x12, 345x7,295 x 7
    HS Decline 225x12,315x12, 315x10, 365x 5
    Dips (BW x 20)
    DB Flyes (60s x 12,12,12)
    Standing Overhead Tricep Extension - 110x10,110x10,110x10

I could tell through my shirt the pecs, tris, and delts were quite a bit more pumped than normal for a chest day. I think Ill give this workout a try for a while - perhaps it will spur some new growth.

BV

4. i agree, with a fixed position, you know your chest is ALWAYS working. if you dont lift freeweights at EXACTLY the right angle the load shifts to your shoulders/joints. i love HS and wish my gym had more of it.

5. I am not that much of a fan. I used to be, but i keep getting a nagging pain here and there from it. The shoulder press machine kills my left shoulder. Puts it a weird angle.
    •   

6. I use almost exclusively machines. I've noticed a much quicker recovery time, and far less joint problems.

I've also notice that I am able to move up in weight much faster with machines. Especially for example if I am doing the smith machine, I can move up in weight from for example 300-400 lbs. much faster then I can go from 300-400 lbs. with free weights.

Which means that I will still lift more in free weights then I would had I never trained with the smith machine.

In fact if I had it to do all over again starting from when I first lifted weights, I would have used machines a lot more. I used almost all free weights for the first 9 years I trained and I had a lot of plateaus that I've only broken through with machines. (I was able to transfer that strength to free weight lifts)

7. I like to mix it up and go with HS too, I agree that when have shoulder issues/pain, it allows me to work around it and get a good work out in....questions when doing ISO lateral bench, where does everyone line up the handles in regards to your chest....at, above or below nipple?

8. personally, I use a lot of HS equipment for similar reasons as others have stated. One thing I find with HS equipment that traditional bb movements don't allow is great range of maotion. Take for instance the Incline Bench HS. It's almost like a bench press + DB press in one. It allows you at the end of the movement to bring your hands in closer together thus letting you really squeeze your pecs together. You can't do that on a traditional bb incline press. I vote yes to Hammer Time

9. I also like the HS incline press, but the HS V-Squat is awesome. It approximates a true squat but you have the confidence to really push yourself in terms of adding weight. It keeps your back straight, too, which is a big thing.

10. Hammer strength makes excellent equipment that fills the gap between free weights and cable equipment. What makes it so good is all the machines move in arcs and all your limbs move in circles so you could build some usable strength with them as well. Pesonally i'd use both, that's what i do and it works great.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hammer Strength Leg Extension
    By sly in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 10:54 PM
  2. Hammer Strength Triceps Question
    By Dutchman in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 05:55 PM
  3. My Hammer Strength Explosions (Why?)
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 04:32 PM
  4. Hammer Strength Chest Machines Effective?
    By CyberMuscle in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 12:55 PM
  5. Hammer strength isolateral high row
    By goldylight in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 04:15 AM