I cant find a 4-5 Day Split I like! Help

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
OK i want to start a new split program tomorrow. My goals are just general strength, and getting more definition. I trained for a couple years in high school, then got out of it in college for my first few years. During this time I only lifted a once in a while, off and on.

For the last 14-16 months I have gotten back into working out a few days a week and dropped about 10 percent body fat, and put on about 10-12 pounds of muscle. I was at 5-9, 255 with low-mid 30's in body fat. Now im 234 22 percent body fat. I want to get down to the point where my general stomach muscle form is able to be seen (im a fat ass by nature so I dont expect to see abs ever)

I have hit a plateu as far as fat loss goes, and im looking for a good lifting program for general strengh and muscle definition. I know that compound lifts like squats and deadlifts are more for mass, but since I played Center on the football team in High School, these are lifts I am comfortable with and I like to include in my program. I recently started deadlifts to strengthen my lower back and core.

I have been trying to do a 4 day that looks something like the following:

Day 1 - Back and Bi's

Deadlifts (I just started these and 3 sets of 10 at 315 kills me)
Wide Grip Pull Ups 3-4 sets of 8-10 (I have to use the weighted machine to assist this many)
Overhead Dumbell Lift
3-4 Sets 21 super guns (7 reps bottom half way curl, 7 reps top half way, 7 reps full curl)

Day 2 - Chest and Tris
Bench usually 3 sets of 8-10, 245 x 10, 275 x 8-9 then 245 x 8-10
Dumbell Incline - 3 sets of 10 with 80's
Cable Crossover
Dips 3 sets of 10-12
Skull Crushers 3 sets of 12, or Cable Pull Down

Day 3 - rest, 25-30 min cross trainer at 65% max heart rate

Day 4 - Legs and abs.
Squats, smith machine
3 x 10 at 315, 365 then 405
Standing Calf Raises
Leg Extensions
Hamstring Curls
Weighted Incline Sit Ups (25-35 pounds), 3 sets of 15
Cardio 15-20 minutes low intensity (Im thinking this isnt the best day to do it) Any thoughts?

Day 5 Shoulders, light chest
Military Press 3 sets of 10
Flat Bench or Dumbell Flat Bench Press 3 sets of 10
Front Dumbell Raises
Standing Row
Shrugs

Day 6-7 mostly rest, 1 day cardio for 30-40 minutes.

Right now Im not that happy with this split. Deadlifts suck and wear me out big time, but I really want to strengthen my core. I have trouble doing cardio 2 days later I get so sore from them in the lower back area (not injury pain but work the hell out of the muscles in a good way pain, As i have decent form). But squats were like that for me when I first started doing them.
Also im not targeting my core as good as I would like. Deadlifts target this well, as does my ab workout but I would like to figure out a better routine to focus on this area. Also I think for definition I would benifit if I included some more isolation type excercises? Can anyone offer some help with a modification of this program, or suggest a new split program?