New guy training question

Salyers1121

Awards
Ive been here a month or two so im pretty new here. I dont post ever (this is my first) but i sure as hell "listen" and soak up everything. I enjoy coming here, and everyone is pretty respectful to eachother unlike many other places. But to the point......im 23yrs 5'10 170, 9% bf last time i checked. Been working out consistantly for over 2 years. Never touched anything other than protein, creatine, occasional NO tabs. I had to stop lifting due to work and being out of town for 8 months, so im just getting started back in the gym. My routine looks like this:
Chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Bis/Tris
abs and calves every other day
I train each body part on its own day as you can see. My goal is mass/bulk. i want to put as much muscle on my tiny ass frame as humanly possible, then cut up sooner or later. I do 4 sets of 8-10 reps usually with one warmup set. My question is, do you think its better overall to give each body part its own day? I used to do Chest/Tris, Back/Bis, but decided on my current routine. To add overall mass, is my routine "ideal" for my goal? should i change up the reps and sets? My diet is another thing......dont even ask. I dont eat as clean as i should. I eat out all the time, but i watch what i take in. I try to get at least my bodyweight in protein a day. Im working on it guys, thats why im here.:thumbsup: Im just curious on what you think is a better routine/training split for gaining overall mass. Thanks.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Slayers1121 Heres my opinion.Unless you have very good recovery 5 day a week training will likely lead to overtraining after a short time(for me it does) So I would go with a 3 day split DAY 1 chest tris shoulders DAY 2 back bi's abs DAY 3 quads hams glutes/lower back and supplemental work as desired.Myself I work rotator cuffs on day 3 due to shoulder problems.aslo I do 2 lifts per body part @ 3x6-10.Keep protein up to 1.5 grams per lb drink tons of water get a good vitamin pack and get plenty of rest.Ive went from 185 to 245 in 7 years Which is longer than it should have taken but lifes circumstances sometimes take precedence over training.I also only went up 2% body fat and my diet is far from clean.Keep reading here and dont believe the hype in the magazines about a million sets and all that super sophisticated theory junk.Remember simple is best also all this garbage about putting on 20 lbs in 2 weeks is ridiculous.If it were true why arent 90% of people on these boards 250lbs or more.It takes time and SMART training to build a better body.Be stedfast and you will reach your goals.Best of luck.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
You really don't have to dedicate one day to one body part. I use these splits, in one I hit everything once a week in the other twice(except legs cause I do cardio all year round) and this has given me optimal results in the long term

Mon- chest & traps
Tue- delts & biceps
Wed- OFF
Thu- back & triceps
Fri- Legs

The other looks like this
Mon- chest, bicep, traps
Tue- back tricep, delts
Wed-Legs
Thur- same as monday
Fri- same as tuesday

Just keep your volume in check when hitting muscles twice a week. When I hit them once a week I also incorporate drop sets. Most important thing is going to be your diet IMO, if you get that in check it makes things a whole helluva a lot easier and great nutrition always allows you to have optimal performance in the gym.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, Try this.

1) Delts/Triceps
2) Quads/calves
3) off
4) Back/Abs
5) Chest/Hamstrings
6) off
7) Biceps/abs/calves

Your 23. In my oppinion, you can handle a 5 day split. And, Day 7 isnt that intense.(Throw in cardio on that day if you wish.)

And as said above, diet is about 3/4 of all things bodybuilding.

I used to do Chest/Tris, Back/Bis
Thats like testing your mile time RIGHT AFTER running the boston marathon.

Last edited:

AllInOneBottle

Awards
Iron Warrior,was just wondering,what day do you do deads on?Leg day or Back day?