Cardio and Bulking

ohno

Awards
So, everything I read here and elsewhere says do no, or very little, cardio while you're bulking. But if you eat the additional calories to cover the energy expended why would it matter?

Is there some reason -- beyond having to make up for the energy used in order to stay in a caloric surplus for growth -- that cardiovascular conditioning is incompatible with muscular hypertrophy?

Thanks!

Gdawg

Awards
It's certainly not incompatible with building muscle. I like to do some on my non-lifting days, in the morning, when I'm trying to add some weight. As long as it's not putting you in a caloric defecit or it's not preventing your muscles from recovering it is fine.

I have endomorphic traits, and it seems to help with partitioning of the calories I consume later on in the day since I've been running on non-lifting days.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cardio is essential at all times- mainly to maintain cardiovascular health which brings along many different animals. Do cardio.

And depending on how your partioning is, you could be doing something like morning cardio which could help a lean bulk a lot.

ohno

Awards
Aweome, that was my gut instinct -- but there's enough about physiology that I don't know that I wanted a reality check. The idea of giving up cardio health to put on some muscle sounds like a poor trade to me but it seems like it's not a trade you have to make as long as you're careful to maintain a caloric surplus while bulking.

Thanks for the replies.

mitch911

Awards
Aweome, that was my gut instinct -- but there's enough about physiology that I don't know that I wanted a reality check. The idea of giving up cardio health to put on some muscle sounds like a poor trade to me but it seems like it's not a trade you have to make as long as you're careful to maintain a caloric surplus while bulking.

Thanks for the replies.
i think its a good idea..morning empty stomach would be burning mostly pure fat with low intensity. if the nutrition is dialed in for the other 23 hrs of the day, its possible to put on quality mass while keeping the body fat in check. Plan on doing this with my lean and slow bulk comming up as i have struggled with my endo body to get down in the single digits for a while now.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Cardio is essential at all times- mainly to maintain cardiovascular health which brings along many different animals. Do cardio.
+10000000000000.72954

:D

BV

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Iceman013 Cycle Logs 6
Weight Loss 23
zach195 Bulking 26
Training Forum 23
Training Forum 32