How to Increase my Squat

I

IronMarc

Awards
Hey guys, I was thinking of going into a squat competition in 2 months and I was wondering, what do you think is the best way to increase my maximum squat as quick as possible naturally, of course ill be stillt aking protein, maybe creatine maybe not, but mainly, what kind of reps and sets should I do? Anything else, core strengthening, etc... Thanks for the help.

A

axekick

Awards
I have a suggestion that worked for me when I hit a plateau for squats a while back. I'm natural besides some prohormones I took back in the good ol days. What I did was to set the safety pins at a level as low as possible still allowing me to set the bar on them and position myself under it as if at the bottom of my squat. Then I would work up to my max weight for a single rep from the bottom and do six singles like that. The trick is to do it as heavy as you can from the bottom. I was taught this by a pro power lifter at my gym. I broke my plateau and made great gains after doing this for about 4 weeks and then going back to my normal leg workout. I think it only works done rarely, but it definitely helped me.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Good mornings, and if you have bands available they make for some interesting workouts. Before a meet I like to do super heavy walkouts also. If you plan on squating 600lbs, load the bar with 700+ and just walk out with it (helps with the mind games). Good mornings are really the best thing you can do in the short term.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I have a suggestion that worked for me when I hit a plateau for squats a while back. I'm natural besides some prohormones I took back in the good ol days. What I did was to set the safety pins at a level as low as possible still allowing me to set the bar on them and position myself under it as if at the bottom of my squat. Then I would work up to my max weight for a single rep from the bottom and do six singles like that. The trick is to do it as heavy as you can from the bottom. I was taught this by a pro power lifter at my gym. I broke my plateau and made great gains after doing this for about 4 weeks and then going back to my normal leg workout. I think it only works done rarely, but it definitely helped me.
A better way to do this is to suspend the bar from chains. Gives a more natural loading pattern at the bottom. Also, box squats and good mornings are a useful addition. As for band tension, Greens are useful but don't overdo it, you need to keep the bar weight heavy more than anything.

I

IronMarc

Awards
I am only at about 265 right now....and if I am going to enter a comp I at least want to get to 365-395lbs with as much ease as possible. I don't think i've platuead at this weight yet. Anyway, any more advice, like how low you place the bar on your back, or any tips with form that will help?

M

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Place the bar very low. Good form is key with squats. Box squats and goodmornings help. Just make sure your form is correct. One of the guys I train with competes naturally. His best squat in comp. is 800lbs. Not too bad for natural. LOl. He focuses on form alot. And after being taught how to squat with perfect form I go to competitions now and cringe at what 90% of these guys are doing for squat.

If you can maybe post a vid of yourself squatting so we can constructively critique your form.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I am only at about 265 right now....and if I am going to enter a comp I at least want to get to 365-395lbs with as much ease as possible. I don't think i've platuead at this weight yet. Anyway, any more advice, like how low you place the bar on your back, or any tips with form that will help?
How long do you have before the meet? If you don't have very long I wouldn't introduce to many new things, I would just make sure that you are squatting properly. Get some one who knows how to squat watch you to insure your form/depth is good. Most people can squat more than they think, sometimes you just gotta go for it and stuff some weight on the bar. Do you wrap your knees or wear a suit, or is this a raw comp?

Bar low on the back, push your stomach out drive your elbows forward and push your hips through (always, always squeeze the bar!) Contorted faces and screaming are optional

N

njmuscle66

DS Board Rep
Awards
Hey guys, I was thinking of going into a squat competition in 2 months and I was wondering, what do you think is the best way to increase my maximum squat as quick as possible naturally, of course ill be stillt aking protein, maybe creatine maybe not, but mainly, what kind of reps and sets should I do? Anything else, core strengthening, etc... Thanks for the help.
Well the squat as a powerlifter is much different than that of someone looking for hypertrophy. Low on the back, wide stance, etcI presently train a masters class lifter that has done very well. If you only have 8 weeks and just going on the information you have now I would say

3 weeks of 5@ 85% of your 1 rep max
3 weeks of 2-3@90-95% of 1 rep max
1 week of 1@Max

The volume is much lower for powerlifting training-greater rest periods, etc. Also I have found most people who think the squat to legal depth DONT! You really need to break dip BELOW parrallel-ESPECIALLY in the USAPL which is one of the drug tested organizations. We can probably help more if you give us more detail about your current squat program

New to posting so not sure what the policy is but if you do a search on mike robertson or dave tate you will find alot of good information

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Well the squat as a powerlifter is much different than that of someone looking for hypertrophy. Low on the back, wide stance, etcI presently train a masters class lifter that has done very well. If you only have 8 weeks and just going on the information you have now I would say

3 weeks of 5@ 85% of your 1 rep max
3 weeks of 2-3@90-95% of 1 rep max
1 week of 1@Max

The volume is much lower for powerlifting training-greater rest periods, etc. Also I have found most people who think the squat to legal depth DONT! You really need to break dip BELOW parrallel-ESPECIALLY in the USAPL which is one of the drug tested organizations. We can probably help more if you give us more detail about your current squat program

New to posting so not sure what the policy is but if you do a search on mike robertson or dave tate you will find alot of good information
Good advice, it's a rude awakening when someone who knows what to look for watches your depth, if you don't have anyone experienced to watch use a video camera, put your arse on the floor and all will be good. When you think your deep enough, go deeper. Elite fitness has some good articles on the power lifts.