whats your take on this routine while "on"

muscledismorph

Awards
im doing a cycle of x-mass, mega-trn, and pheramone-x by generic labz soon. this is my usual work out, its one of arnolds.

Chest:
Bench press 5 x 6-10
Flat bench flyes 5 x 6-10
Incline bench press 6 x 6-10
Cable crossovers 6 x 10-12
Dips (body weight) 5 x failure
Dumbell pullovers 5 x 10-12.

Back:
Wide-grip chins (to front) 6 x failure
T-bar rows 5 x 6-10
Seated pulley rows 6 x 6-10
One-arm dumbell rows 5 x 6-10
Straight-leg deadlifts 6 x 15

Legs:
Squats 6 x 8-12
Leg press 6 x 8-12
Leg extensions 6 x 12-15
Leg curls 6 x 10-12
Barbell lunges 5 x 15

Calves:
Standing calf raises 10 x 10
Seated calf raises 8 x 15
Oneplegged calf raises (holding dumbells) 6x12

Forearms:
Wrist curls (forearms on knees) - 4 sets, 10 reps
Reverse barbell curls - 4 sets, 8 reps
Wright roller machine - to failure

Abs:
½ hour of a variety of nonspecific abdominal exercises, done virtually nonstop.

Tues, Thurs, Sat

Biceps:
Barbell curls 6 x 6-10
Seated dumbell curls 6 x 6-10
Dumbell concentration curls 6 x 6-10
Preacher curls 4 x 6-10

Triceps:
Close-grip bench presses 6 x 6-10
Pushdowns 6 x 6-10
French press (barbell) 6 x 6-10
One-arm triceps extensions (dumbell) 6 x 6-10
SUPER SET
Reverse grip pull downs 6 x 6-10
Triangle pull downs 6 x 6-10

Shoulders:
Seated barbell presses 6 x 6-10
Lateral raises (standing) 6 x 6-10
Rear-delt lateral raises 5 x 6-10
Cable lateral raises 5 x 10-12
Rear peck-deck machine 6 x 10-12
Arnold Presses 5 x 6-10

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
OVER TRAINING !!! no way should you be doing 32 sets for anything !!!

muscledismorph

Awards
can anyone advise a good workout for me while im on? this one does my good while not taking anything, but i need something that will work good and get me alot of size.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Use the workout you posted but cut it back to ONE of those exercises for bis, tris, shoulders, chest and calves. Keep 2 of those exercises for Legs and back.

AND only do 3 worksets of each of those exercises not 6.

Drop the forearm work and do 5 minutes 2 times a week for your abs not half an hour

Cut your workouts to just 4 times a week.

CROWLER

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, 32 sets is absolute crazines..I used to get harrassed by my buddy for being a high volume freak when I did 16 sets per exercise...Glen's workout is good stuff...

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I have found not going to failure, but going within 1 to 2 reps of it works the best for me. It seems to work pretty well for Waterbury, Poliquin, and Westside too. I don't even consider max effort day going to failure, since I always try to make my last 1rm lift. I've been making much better gains not going to failure, recover faster, and feel better after my workouts. When going to failure I felt like **** when I came home. Right now I feel so energized it feels like I shot up 5 grams of straight caffiene. To each their own I guess. Personally for hypertrophy specific training, I think you would be better off with a dual factor or upper/lower program. For dual factor I prefer full body workouts done 3 times a week. As far as pure hypertrophy goes, this type of program has given me the best results. I've also used some of Waterbury's programs with a couple of twists here and there and had fantastic results. At first I thought I wasn't doing enough work because I had come from doing a program similar to Glenn's, but I ended up growing stronger and bigger far better than I did with my old failure routines. Not dissing on Glenn, he's very knowledgable, but you might try checking out some dual factor or high frequency programs and see how they go.

muscledismorph

Awards
anyone have any routines typed out with their splits and exercises they use while on?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
yeah i just posted it a few posts up ... click on the link

ktw

Awards
  • Established
You can check my westside log for some ideas, the Waterbury **** is on t-nation.com. His high frequency programs might be a good idea while on. There's Poliquin programs on bodybuilding.com I think.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
One more quick thing for glen, how do you work cardio in when you are doing a cut? Just out of curiousity, and glen you said you take a wk off eveyr 5 or 6 wks, lets say you are in the middle of a 12 wk cut...do u just keep you diet straight and do a little cardio during that week off or do you do nothing, just curious thx guys.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
no if i'm cutting my diet remains the same even though i'm not training (save for pre and post workout meals)

as for cardio occasionally i'll do it post workout after upper body for 20-30 minutes at a 130 HR .. but to be honest i rely much more on diet and really don't do cardio often

it would also be great to do first thing in the morning aside from the day of or day after a leg workout

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
ok thx glen, just about to head into a cut so i just thought I would get your opinion. You dont think doing light cardio after a leg day might help with lessen how severe the DOMS is?

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah glen and about your routine, you never vary your excercises past the ones you listed, or change tempo or anything?

njmuscle66

DS Board Rep
Awards
alot of good suggestions have been provided so i will just throw my .02 cents in. Yes the number of sets are way too high. For major bodyparts i would stick at 2 exercises for a total of 6 work sets. Smaller bodyparts get one exercise 3 sets. Get in the gym.........work hard........get out and recovery. REPEAT THE PROCESS until desired results. That is the secret. I have been training for many years and would be considered an advanced bodybuilder and nothing has worked better for me than the HST program or some of the programs written by Waterbury. Workouts should last no longer than 1 hr. And the idea of splitting bodyparts up is really not the best for optimal development. Train the body as a whole and rest it as a whole. The body adapts most quickly to rep ranges so that is one training variable that should be switched around. But one cant go wrong with a program designed around the basic. squats, bench , rows, deadlifts, overhead press, etc

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah glen and about your routine, you never vary your excercises past the ones you listed, or change tempo or anything?
no no i definitely vary the exercises (really though i only alternate between 4 exercises per bp max) and i do change the tempo (switch to 2-4 second negs) and the time between sets (go from 1-1.5 minutes to 2-3) i'll do what i originally described for 2-3 "cycles" of that workout then switch to what i'm describing here for 2-3 "cycles"

in response to your DOMS question i really don't know the answer i actually don't usually get TOO sore