Out of the gym for 3 months, need some help.

DarkDragon

Awards
I had no idea where to post this so it is in here.

I started Fire Standards (to become a FireFighter) and haven't had much time for the gym, between that and work. We do workout sessions once a week that usually last 3 hours or so and those really suck the big one and that was part of the reason I "slacked" and didn't go to the gym. Mostly it is cardio and some ladder lifting and barrel raises on a rope, going up then down 3 flights of stairs carrying a bout 75 lbs of hose over your shoulder, nothing too bad, it is just boring as all hell. I will be going to the grocery tommorow and picking up food to get my diet in check which has also sucked for the past 3 months.

Now that leads me to the question. I have been going back for about a week now and have seen a HUGE drop in all of my lifting and even wanting to lift. I need to get out of this funk and fast.

What can I do to remotivate me? Any foods to get other than the normal clean foods I used to eat? I also keep a log of what I used to lift and keep looking at that to see where I should start and now those weights are too heavy and I start to get depressed, should I go in fresh and start all over again? Also I was thinking of going back on SD next week, good idea or no?

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

-DarkDragon

ICEBERG

Awards
I had no idea where to post this so it is in here.

I started Fire Standards (to become a FireFighter) and haven't had much time for the gym, between that and work. We do workout sessions once a week that usually last 3 hours or so and those really suck the big one and that was part of the reason I "slacked" and didn't go to the gym. Mostly it is cardio and some ladder lifting and barrel raises on a rope, going up then down 3 flights of stairs carrying a bout 75 lbs of hose over your shoulder, nothing too bad, it is just boring as all hell. I will be going to the grocery tommorow and picking up food to get my diet in check which has also sucked for the past 3 months.

Now that leads me to the question. I have been going back for about a week now and have seen a HUGE drop in all of my lifting and even wanting to lift. I need to get out of this funk and fast.

What can I do to remotivate me? Any foods to get other than the normal clean foods I used to eat? I also keep a log of what I used to lift and keep looking at that to see where I should start and now those weights are too heavy and I start to get depressed, should I go in fresh and start all over again? Also I was thinking of going back on SD next week, good idea or no?

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

-DarkDragon
DarkDragon- the key is to get your regimen back on schedule and get your body back into gym shape. Don't worry about how much you are lifting. Go back to basic compound exercises- bench, squat, deadlift, etc...and use proper form. Muscle has memory and you will see that you will return to form in a few weeks if not sooner. Set a schedule and a a new plan and stick to it. SD you may want to think about a safer supp.

az2u

Awards
I don't think you have a choice. Start w/weights you can handle and get going. I know how you feel. I'm currently rehabing my left shoulder and haven't done my upper body in almost two months. It will probably be another month before I begin to attack my upper body. Injuries suck! You can do it. Good luck.

powerlifter6920

Bro,

Don't look at this as a disadvantage!!!! Three months off from the gym IS an extended time, but during that time I'm sure you got leaner, right?

Think of it as an ADVANTAGE. You had three whole months to have all your old aches and pains help heal themselves. Your body is gonna be fresh and ripe for the challenge. And you will get back to where you were quicker from the old "muscle memory" theory.

Full speed ahead brother, and don't look back.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Welcome back, and for your gym routine def stay with compound movements, and your strength will return. As for SD... how were you on it, because I dont know if you would like to be in the mix of action, and you have back pumps, or you are lethargic ... Assess your feelings while on and go from there, BUT a good PS you might want to try is HD-50 good stuff and quality gains. Lurk around and see whats out there bro... Once again welcome Back

raudyboy3

Board Supporter
Awards
sup dragon, long time. how did fire standards go? mikey says was up too. :nutkick:

rocketscientist

Awards
Hi DarkDragon

I've been through this many times - the most ever was when I was on the road (work related), lived in a motel for three months or so and went down from 187 to under 170.. :aargh: .

Anyway - first off there are a couple of things. One would be your 'chemical/supplement status' before you took a break. If you just came off SD and e.g. gained 10+ lbs you won't easily get these back without some chemical helpers.

The other is your 'athletic status' - if you were highly trained, e.g. you were preparing or just had taken part in a contest. Getting that last 5% of performace out of your body can usually take a lot of effort and often does not come back easily.

That aside, you should get about 80% of what you lost
back very rapidly - within a couple of weeks. The gains will then slowly taper off but the rest will follow eventually.

What you should avoid however is try to reach to high too quick. Using too much weight imo is counterproductive, so forget what you did in the past, and keep that for story time. Look ahead instead.

Ah - and wait with SD or anything else at least until you see a significant slowdown in your progress. IMO you'd be pretty much wasting it now.

DarkDragon

Awards
Well I was off cycle for a month before I "didn't have the time" The major reason that I was looking back into doing SD was that once I get hired, I don't know if I want to chance it with my job.

I still have time to give it about 2 weeks of good ol' natural lifting then going to SD if it comes to it.

Like I said, we do workouts and work our asses of pulling that charged hoseline (its heavier than you think) But most of it is all endurance training, which I needed, but not what I was after.

The sides for me on SD were not that bad, little back pumps that were controlled by taurine in the AM protein shake, I did have a little lethargy, but I think that can be controlled with albuterol or ephedrine, unless I should in no way mix the two.

Thanks again

-DarkDdragon

Oh raudy, school is going good, just make sure that you start endurance/cardio training NOW before you get into it, I thought that the weight training, and little cardio that i did would be enough, but it wasn't, I can hang with them running, but they cant hang with the power I developed, but that don't mean crap unless you can go for a long time.

DarkAngel

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well I spoke with him yesterday and recommended, before cycling anything in just get his muscles back into the routine, and get his diet back in check, then when he's feeling back to normal, and feels like he hits a plateau he can worry about cycling again.

shellman

Awards
Dragon,

3 months, No Problem due to my career and always being on planes and just too tired to hit a gym on the road it has been
6 years and I am 45 years old. Check out my post in the 35 and older on Starting Halo. You can only go up and like everybody says all your injuries should be healed and you have a fresh body to work with. Good Luck Shellman

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You bumped a post that was 6 yrs old :O I think that's the biggest bump I've ever seen hehe