Awards
I used to work 1 muscle group a day. My routine was:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Bi's
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thursday - Tri's
Friday - Back
Saturday - Legs

I'm 2 weeks into a new routine where i work 2 muscle groups a day, 2 times a week. It looks like this.:

Chest/tris
Back/bi's
Shoulders/legs
Off/abs
repeat

For chest/tri day I do:
Flat bench - 4 sets of 8
Incline Bench - 4 sets of 8
Cable flys - 3 sets of 8
Skullcrushers 4 sets of 8
Dips - 3 sets of 8
One hand reverse tricep pushdowns - 4 sets of 8
Tricep pushdowns - 4 sets of 8

On back/bi's day i do:
Widegrip pull ups - 4 sets till failure
Deadlifts - 4 sets of 5
Bent over rows - 4 sets of 8
Seated rows - 4 sets of 8
Barbell curls - 3 sets of 8
Incline dumbell curls - 4 sets of 8
Standing hammer curls - 4 sets of 8

On Shoulder/Leg day i do:
Squats - 4 sets of 5
Leg press - 3 sets of 8
Standing calf raises - 3 sets till failure
Leg extensions - 4 sets of 8
Dumbell military press - 4 sets of 8
Upright rows - 3 sets of 8
Rear delt flys - 3 sets of 8
Face pulls - 4 sets till failure
Shrugs - 4 sets till failure

Since I started working muscle groups 2 times a week, I've noticed a lot of progress in my traps, where they were lagging behind with the old routine.

The only thing that I can complain about is that after i get home from the gym and make my protein shake and eat dinner, I am pretty tired for the rest of the night. Is this normal, or am i overtraining?

This post turned out longer than i had hoped, but if anyone can help me out that would be great. Maybe i need to start eating more, or drinking more water, but i already do enough of those. Or maybe i need to take it down a notch and work muscle groups just once a week?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

llb4

Awards
are you progressing in weight or reps workout to workout?

NiteHawk

Awards
Yeah, that was what I was gonna ask, are you seeing progress in the gym??

I do a 4-day split as well. Its like this..

Mon- Legs
Tues-Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Wed- Off
Thurs- Back/Biceps
Fri-Legs
Sat & Sun -Off

Then the next week I start off ..
Mon-Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Tues-Back/Biceps
Wed- Off
Thurs-Legs
Fri- Chest/shoulders/Triceps
Sat & Sun- Off

This protocol continues as such from week to week. If you dont want to do the same muscle groups as this, try taking the same days off as I do, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday off. You will still get your bodyparts in but more rest.

jjm

jjm

Awards
Well, it's only been 2 weeks since I've been doing the new routine, so I wasn't expecting to see huge results in everything. Should I?

I've noticed some strength and hypertrophy gains in my legs and as well, mostly in my traps as they were almost non existent before and now they're starting to have decent shape. I've seen a couple more reps in other exercises, but progression in my traps and legs stick out to me.

Although, I haven't noticed much gains with my chest since the new routine. It almost feels like I hit a plateau with my chest.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
As long as you are seing results progress and growing stronger and getting stronger then, no you are not over training. But keep in mind that as you grow stronger and lift heavier and heavier weights eventually the the stresses will grow so great that you will need to reduce your volume and frequency to allow for recovery and then over compensation.

NiteHawk

Awards
If its only been 2 weeks, I say give it another couple weeks and see if you are still making progress. Good luck and good training.

jjm

jjm

Awards
Yeah I was planning on giving it a couple more weeks, I just wanted to see if anyone noticed anything wrong with my routine that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm also not used to getting this tired after working out. I didn't feel that tired when I was workin out with the old routine. I guess it would make sense seeing as though now I'm working my muscles more than before.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, and if anyone else has something to say I'd love to hear it.