Which back workout is better and why?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Which back workout is better and why?


    Back workout number 1:

    Deadlifts - 10,6,4,4
    DB Shrugs - 12,10,8
    Weighted Close grip chins OR weighted Wide grip pull-ups - 10,8,6,6
    DB rows - 8,6,6
    BB rows, or T-bar rows - 8,6,6

    Back workout number 2:

    Rack-pulls - 10,10,8,6
    T-bar rows - 10,8,6
    Close-grip pulldowns - 10,8,6,4
    Hammer-Strength reverse grip pulldowns - 10,8,8


  2. I know this does not answer you question specifically, but I remember reading (I think it was the M&F Training Notebook) that dumbell rows actually hit the most muscle groups simultaneously, so you may want to include that one in either.

    I would go with #1, using wide-grip pull-ups.
    •   
       


  3. Yea a friend of mine had me run through he workout yesterday which is #2. To me it seemed like a Mickey Mouse routine. I was wondering why the hell we were doing the hammer strength machine right after we did close grip pulldowns.

  4. workout 1 hands down. I dont like the order of the exercises though. Agree to start with deads, but finish with shrugs. If you do those back to back to start you'll not only be drained but you'll be lucky if you can grip a pencil after all that strain on your forearms.

  5. Why can't you switch the workouts. I love all the exercises and would rotate them every other back workout.

    Each has there place in hitting the back at different angles. I would just add seated wide neutral grip rows in place of the HS pull downs.
    •   
       


  6. Its hard for me to be sore from a back workout unless I do deads. Workout 1 is better.

  7. Are those the only options or can we suggest our own?


    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  8. Hey Crowler, I'd like to here yours.

  9. Well if you have a better suggestion go ahead and spit it, Crow'.

  10. oh Nice now you put the pressure on me so if you don't have water wings in the next month I am to blame lol

    I am just posting what I do. Not saying it is the best.

    I do

    Wide Grip chins 3 sets 5 - 12 reps Upping or lowing the weight IF I even need any lol

    Bent over rows for thickness 3 sets 5 - 12 reps changing the weight for the 3 sets.

    I do shrugs on shoulder day.


    That's it.

    I don't do deads for me I don't see the need if I am doing squats, shrugs, bent over rows and wide grip chins.

    Ok now please don't ban me



    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  11. I wish I could get away with just that.

  12. do one one week and do the other the next week, basically rotate them every week

  13. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    do one one week and do the other the next week, basically rotate them every week
    I could. But think #1 hits both nails on the head with variety and targeting the back muscles from different angles.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by handzilla
    I could. But think #1 hits both nails on the head with variety and targeting the back muscles from different angles.
    true, but after a while your muscles will adapt to that routine and you wont grow anymore, if you switch it up every now and then your body wont get used to the routine, plus pulling deads off the floor really shouldnt be done every week

  15. Workout 1 is def better IMO. Deadlifts are king for back thickeness and strength.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    true, but after a while your muscles will adapt to that routine and you wont grow anymore, if you switch it up every now and then your body wont get used to the routine, plus pulling deads off the floor really shouldnt be done every week
    Workout #1 includes a switch weekly.

    T-bar rows or barbell rows
    Wide-grip pullups or close grip chins

    As far as deadlifting goes. I pull off the ground every week. But not always heavy. Sometimes I go for reps and speed.

  17. Try this one:

    1 set of stiff arm pulldowns (8-12 reps to failure) SS to Close grip palms up pulldowns (6-10 reps to failure). Make sure to emphasize the negative(4 seconds or so) and to hold the weight in the fully contracted position for 1-2 seconds as well, and on the final rep make sure to hold in the contracted for as long as possible followed by a negative done as slowly as possible.

    1 set of Deadlifts (5-8 reps to failure)

  18. Quote Originally Posted by phil216
    Try this one:

    1 set of stiff arm pulldowns (8-12 reps to failure) SS to Close grip palms up pulldowns (6-10 reps to failure). Make sure to emphasize the negative(4 seconds or so) and to hold the weight in the fully contracted position for 1-2 seconds as well, and on the final rep make sure to hold in the contracted for as long as possible followed by a negative done as slowly as possible.

    1 set of Deadlifts (5-8 reps to failure)
    3

    I don't think that is even close to enough volume for adding mass.

  19. Volume is not what causes muscle growth, volume is a negative factor. As long as you are training to failure the volume listed is good as volume once again is a negative factor as the more sets you do cause a deeper inroad into your limited recovery ability.

  20. But why no rows? I can see if you at least included those also.

  21. The combination of the exercises that I listed will stimulate growth in the major muscles of the back.As long as you have gone to failure you can be certain that growth has been stimulated and once you ave done that there is no reason to do any additional work.

  22. Any of you guys like using rack deads in substitution for floor deads in your rotation?

  23. I have used them on occasion. They are good in the sense that it does allow for the use of very, very heavy weights, but then agian the range of motion is less.

  24. I would go with workout 1 on this one.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by phil216
    I have used them on occasion. They are good in the sense that it does allow for the use of very, very heavy weights, but then agian the range of motion is less.

    Sometimes I rotate them in if Ive been doing floor deads for a long time, and want to work the muscles differently. Its definately easier mentally then from the floor. especially when your as tall as me. But Sometimes I start to stagnate on floor deads, so I substitute w/ the rack deads from the knees.

  26. I actually really enjoy doing deads from the floor but then agin I'm only 5'8. Be that as it may I think deads without a doubt one of the top 2 exercises that you could do along with squats.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by phil216
    I actually really enjoy doing deads from the floor but then agin I'm only 5'8. Be that as it may I think deads without a doubt one of the top 2 exercises that you could do along with squats.

    I was thinking about that today. (I did rack deads today.) On one hand it felt good to rep out with all that weight. (I got 6plates a side for 8reps, where as I can only manage 6reps w 450-ish on floor deads) but I didnt feel that whole body intense effect like I do with the greater ROM. I could probably go down further on my Rack deads, but its still more of a low back, and traps exercise w/ out pulling from the floor. Not that thats bad. But its still kind of like substituting leg presses for squats, its easier then the real deal and you work fewer motor units, but you can move more weight. Im not taking a side for or against either exercise Im basically thinking out loud (or in print rather) about the interchangability of the two.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by UnicronSpawn
    Any of you guys like using rack deads in substitution for floor deads in your rotation?
    they are good to switch in every other week, like pull from the floor one week,then rack right below knee the next, then back to floor and so on and so forth. a guy who pulls over 700 told me about this and it works.

  29. I like wide grip pulldowns, deadlifts and one arm rows personally.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    I like wide grip pulldowns, deadlifts and one arm rows personally.
    Deads rock, no back exercise compares. I actually prefer close grip pulldowns to wide, I just feel it a lot more and have gotten far more out of it over the years. As far as a rowing movement I love bent over BB rows.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 10x4 vs 12x3, which do you like more and why?
    By MrBumboclart in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
  2. Which Federation do you prefer and why?
    By Tumey in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
  3. What is CODEX and why it sucks!!!
    By anabolicrhino in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 05:39 PM
  4. What is PCT and why do you need it?
    By steolis in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Log in
Log in