Training Twice A Day

UK Guy

Awards
Just wanted to get some opinions on training the same muscle group twice in one day. The only time i get to spend in the gym is VERY early in the morning 6.30am then im straight in work till after 6pm.

In the gym ive got most of the machines and weights i need to work my muscle group nicely enough, but i get tired very easily, sometimes not being able to lift more before im feeling the burn, its how ive always been. You push the last ones out, cant do any more the arms wont lift anything else yet i stand back and feel only pumped, rather than destroyed.

So when i get back i have a little more energy because its been nearly 12 hours since i last worked out and i am usualy pissed off from a bad days work so i have a little short burst hate energy in me so i have a barbell with low weights and some dumbells and i usually repeat 1 or 2 exercises until i feel knackered again, pumping it up, feeling moderate burn but again not much. I am sometimes sore in the morning since doing this (in a good way) so i feel i will continue but i need to know other peoples opinons, is this good for me or what?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
training the same muscle group in one day will lead to severe overtraining in the vast majority of individuals

UK Guy

Awards
To be honest and this is a critisism of myself, but i dont think i train hard enough in either session which is why i thought that might be better than just once. I just cant seem to do any more in the morning or night.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be honest and this is a critisism of myself, but i dont think i train hard enough in either session which is why i thought that might be better than just once. I just cant seem to do any more in the morning or night.
Training twice a day is a bad thing. If you feel as though you need a new routine, try working some muscles 2x/wk.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
If your goal is to over train and make no progress give it a whirl

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
If you trained twice daily focusing on different body parts each session, and you had a sensible way of training so to not burn out your CNS, then it would be a successful strategy.

A lot of variables for it though.

BPB

Awards
I have trained the same muscle group twice a day for only one week, it was a good change. But at the end of that week i was rediculously fatigued. I would say if you diet and sleeping patterns arent on point then i would leave it alone. But if they are, go for it, and i would also hit your muscle from different angles or set/rep schemes.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally, I would never do it..But different strokes for different folks..

Mason

Awards
I have trained the same muscle group twice a day for only one week, it was a good change. But at the end of that week i was rediculously fatigued. I would say if you diet and sleeping patterns arent on point then i would leave it alone. But if they are, go for it, and i would also hit your muscle from different angles or set/rep schemes.
I'm concidering this, especially in the summer because I can rest +10 hours.

BPB

Awards
In my oppinion i would say go ahead then. There is one thing i would recommend though, and i dont know what this is worth but half way through the week i did this i upped my calories, sometimes by as much as 700, and that did wonders.

BPB

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
european competitors do it like this. They train chest pressing movements in the AM for strength, and then isolate in the PM... it works for them... at least from what I've read and seen.

BPB

Awards
Ubiquitous have you read anything about how long european lifters do programs like this? I have also read (i beleive on t-mag) about this training philosophy, but i dont remember the article mentioning the duration that the athletes stick to it. If that is a year round thing then wow...

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
As i said earlier, there is a lot of variables. For instance, if you plan to do this, you need to find out how much volume to use, and what sort of intensity to implement. I would wager training to and beyond failure is out of the equation.

UK Guy

Awards
Based on opinions i may leave it then, i just liked the extra burn in the night time to make me feel like ive done something, i may just do a little cardio instead, such as bag work or jogging. I like the idea of training the same muscle group twice in a week though because i feel like my muscles are getting too much rest as they rarley hurt the morning after and i think a week for what i do is perhaps too long. Maybe x2 a week would be good followed by a week rest every eight weeks or something.

Thanks for the opinions guys.