Ice hcokey Lower leg workouts.

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
Any idea outside of the normal Squat/Leg extentions and anything esle run of the mill for lower body training that would be benefical for ice hockey. I was thinking abduction but, all we have wher ei work out is one of those machines, and all of the girls/fags use it. I'm 6'3 and 225 lbs .. i got an image to protect here..:rofl:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ballistic Step Ups; do three sets of 5 reps per leg. To do these put your foot onto the ledge and basically spring up using that leg. A lot of sprinters do these to help with power off the blocks.

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
Is there an optumin hieght for this ledge? Or is it whatever feels comfortable?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is there an optumin hieght for this ledge? Or is it whatever feels comfortable?
For height choose a ledge that is high enough that when you lift the leg it is about a 90 degree angle at the knee.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking abduction but, all we have wher ei work out is one of those machines, and all of the girls/fags use it. I'm 6'3 and 225 lbs .. i got an image to protect here..:rofl:
While I'm not advocating abduction machines (those jump/lunge things that was posted above the sprinters use sounds better), I'll play Devil's Advocate for a second.

I see some 6'3, 225lbs guy using the abductor machine. What a tool! :rofl:

And look - there's a hot blonde coming up to him. She's probably going to laugh at this gay guy. :nutkick:

What?? She's asking for some help on the machine? She doesn't need help, she's just using it as a safe excuse to flirt with the guy. Women never come up to me when I'm squatting. Grrrr. Oh great, now she's working in with him.... OH MY GOD - I can't believe she's getting him to spot her...and you know where his hands are. In the middle of the set, the guy looks over to me and gives me a look :bow28:

Jared

Awards
Beside squats, leg presses, and lunges, the best thing to improve footwork and speed/power would be plyometrics. There are alot of variations but these are crucial for hockey players. Jumping rope also helps immensely.

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
Beside squats, leg presses, and lunges, the best thing to improve footwork and speed/power would be plyometrics. There are alot of variations but these are crucial for hockey players. Jumping rope also helps immensely.
Like wall sit's and other things of that nature?

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
I play hockey and I was always pretty fast.

I used to train like a bber and noticed I was getting slower.

Then I found internet sites like this one and realized I needed to start trainign more like an athlete.

Some of my favorites.

Clean and jerk
snatch
step ups
Squat jumps
side lunges
lunges

Train like an athlete

Dont worry to much about leg ext/curl I do like the ocasional add/abductions.

O yea plyometrics, agility and speed drills will benefit you much more than weigth training, but there is not much of a need to worry about these until closer to the season.

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
Well see I have a hockey tournment liek within the first week of april. I havn;t been in liek a good hockey condition(in terms of anarobic means) for leik 2 years. In terms of weight traning H vae more muscle than I had before, so I'm wondering if I should not really even focus on weight training that much and more on running, and polymetrics. Like sinc ei just started playing again(about 6 months ago) I have skated at least roughly once a week or there abouts. At school i don;t have a car so i gotta keep going home to do this. Now when I do take to the ice for the firt coupel of shifts I'm poretty good, but If i happen to get an odd man rush or somethign that require liek actual speed i'm done for liek 2 shifts. So reallyh my speed could you an imp[rovement but right now its good. My endure is severly lackiong and my explosivness from starts and stops is ok. I think once i start running and sprinting, once of my lack of explosivness will increase. But Since i'm short on time(both in actual number of days and actul time to dedicate) I will make do with what i can. I mean for christ sake this "tournment" isn;t really a tournment. There beer int he locker rooms and strippers in there as well. LOL