Neck Thickness

S

Synthetik

Awards
Anyone do specific exercises for the neck? I did a forum search but didnt find anything specific. I incoroporate exercises that the trap/neck muscles are used secondary, such as deads, and 2 different types of shrugs for traps of course. Any specific ones out there? Neck harness? Thanx

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Anyone do specific exercises for the neck? I did a forum search but didnt find anything specific. I incoroporate exercises that the trap/neck muscles are used secondary, such as deads, and 2 different types of shrugs for traps of course. Any specific ones out there? Neck harness? Thanx
Ok pencil neck... j/k I have the same problem. If your really wanting to focus on your neck there are a couple of things you can do. A) wrestlers do bridges, its when you lay flat on your stomach and then let your fore head by on the mat and then you go up on your toes sticking your bum in the air. This pretty much puts all the stress on your neck. They are hard I promise, not necessarily healthy either, but they work... Then to make them more interesting role on your forehead from side to side, this will let the muscles that go from the neck to the traps be stimulated, and once you have built up enough strength and cordination your can role from your fore head to your the back of your head... and do it over, and over again.

B) I used to train with an ex-kick boxer. He had a special strap, I think he made it himself. that he would get on his knees and put the strap against his forehead, and attach it to a pulley, and pull his chin to his chest and all the other angles.... Other than that....

shrug :)

S

Synthetik

Awards
Oh yeah, I remember those in football! I'll give those a try while being extremely careful. I dont wanna mess up my neck, or else my training would suffer. Thanx again!

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, I remember those in football! I'll give those a try while being extremely careful. I dont wanna mess up my neck, or else my training would suffer. Thanx again!

Yeah best way, is to let your back be naturally straight and inline with your neck. Dont try to do it with a crooked spine... it is not healthy! Good luck!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Power Cleans help out with the whole neck, trap, delts area.

S

Synthetik

Awards
Power Cleans help out with the whole neck, trap, delts area.
Man, that is one exercise that I never got proper form. It was also due to my weight training coach in football. Well, in reality, now that I look back, he ain't considered a training coach. He used to sit down at his lil office and munch out while every football player did chest and arms everyday to "get big". HA!

P

powerlifter6920

My neck is quite large, and has always grown without any direct work. I used to do full powerlifting meets, so I trained deads very heavy and also heavy shrugs. I also did quite a bit of power cleans, hang cleans, etc. and this seemed to help in my overall trap/neck development. Go for the HEAVY shrugs.

CyberMuscle

CyberMuscle

Awards
I use a head strap by Ironminds. Pricey but best quality on the market. I work with it weekly.

Y

YonkersCBR954

Banned
Awards
i got a neck developer...it goes by different names ...neck harness and etc...Title boxing sells it ...its basically nylon straps that go around and over the top of your head ...and it has a chain that hangs down that you put a weight on... you stand in a linebacker or running back stance and slowing nod your head up and down ....i get a great burn with it ...and when i was playing football along with working my shoulders heavily i had a nice thick and strong neck from this ...

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=99&AdID=TrafficLeader#

C

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
My old gym used to have a fourway neck machine, my neck blew up on it.

Now I just get a towel, fold a plate into it, lay on a bench (or the floor at the top of stairs) with my head hanging off (on my back, stomach, and both sides) Jusst hold the plate in place with my hands and do reps, works fime.

I am doing 1x8 each direction 3x a week, my neck is looking better, now that I thought of it Ill measure my neck later and then again in a couple weeks.

Y

YonkersCBR954

Banned
Awards
My old gym used to have a fourway neck machine, my neck blew up on it.

Now I just get a towel, fold a plate into it, lay on a bench (or the floor at the top of stairs) with my head hanging off (on my back, stomach, and both sides) Jusst hold the plate in place with my hands and do reps, works fime.

I am doing 1x8 each direction 3x a week, my neck is looking better, now that I thought of it Ill measure my neck later and then again in a couple weeks.
i wish my gym would get a 4 way neck machine ...that sounds sick ...

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My neck was a sick size when I used a 4 way neck, now that I workout at home that may be my next investment, I used to use 4 45lb plates and do 15 reps to the rear with this. There was a competition between me and this kid at my gym who had the biggest neck I ever seen, put it this way he could do more on the neck machine than he could bench press.

Anyway does anyone know if neck machines are dangerous?

P

phasar

Awards
  • Established
dangerous, i don't know. but i always always feel super sleepy after working the neck.