How often do you guys take a week off?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I do it about every 3 months but I'm thinking of doing it every 8 weeks..... I just took a week of last week and started lifting again on Monday (chest) and I'm sore as a bastard.... And I like it!!... I did arms last night and I'm starting to feel it now.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I took six days off last week due to having a kick ass flu bug. Came back Monday and did chest and was able to add two reps to my best set. Nothing hurt for the first time in awhile.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I usually go 12 weeks but I perpetually overtain. I just don't feel right if I am not hittin the gym. I always feel much better after taking a week off however and I want to start doing it every 6 weeks.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I take a week long vacation twice a year and usually go away....during this time, I do ZERO exercise (aside from 12oz curls). Other than vacation, if I start to feel worn down, I take an extra day or two off.

Gumbo

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take off every 10-12 wks depending on what else is going on(e.g. school, work, etc.).

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I take a week to 10 days off every 6 weeks. When I was younger I used to brag how I had gone for over 2 years without taking time off :frustrate

CROWLER

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
usually i like to take a full week every 8 weeks or so .. and then invariably i manage to take 2 full weeks off in a row at least twice a year due to being super busy

2fast2live

Awards
I normally take a week off after 6 weeks straight, when i come back im normally a bit stronger.

chauncy

Awards
I usually take off somewhere around after 10-12 weeks. I usually rely on my body more then a set schedule to know when to take a week or so to heal up some.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I've worked the rest into my program. I do 4 weeks of slightly excessive volume, which leads me to eventually overtrain. At the end of these 4 weeks I'll usually feel a little bit tired all the time, like the onset of overtraining, take 3-4 days off, then come back for 4 weeks of lower volume. After 4 months of this, I'll take a real week or even 2 off the gym. When I'm on cycle, I wait after PCT. Of course.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I usually just listen to my body. I can tell when Im starting to get worn down and then I'll take about 5-7 days off. I usually start to feel like this every 14 weeks or so.

*Bulldog*

Awards
I feel guilty when I'm not in the gym lifting. I also always worry that I'm going to get weaker if I take a week off. I know thats mostly in my head. Actually if I take a week off, I notice the opposite. I feel better and can usually lift more. As it is now, I usually will only take a week off if I am sick or something. But I think I'm going to try to start doing something like 8 weeks on and 1 week off.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I think you'll find with a week off every 6-8 weeks, you will give your muscles a shock when you start back up.... Plus you give them a chance to heal up nicely before you tear them up again :hammer:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I usually take off every 2 to 3 months depending on how I feel. The past two weeks I've missed a couple of workouts due to a bad cold and recently a horrible stomach virus.

jamievk

Awards
Usually take a week of every 12 weeks or so. Keeps you fresh

phil216

Awards
  • Established
If you come back stronger after taking a week off, why not allow more time off between your workouts normally? If you got stronger after a week off that is proof that you did not lose anything during that week as you obviously gained from the extra time off. Just something to think about........

Yes I'm a HIT advocate.

BBAddict

Awards
I believe in listening to my body. I know when I'm worn down and my joints hurt and then I try to take some time off. I admit it's hard to do but I think you're body will tell you when you need to rest.

House72

Awards
I usually take a few days off after about 12 weeks or so. Unless Im feeling sick, i will take off then. I don't take a week off, I usually take a few days off. I usually go real light the other days. I don't like taking time away from the gym.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Not many people say anything negative happened when they took a week off..........

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you come back stronger after taking a week off, why not allow more time off between your workouts normally? If you got stronger after a week off that is proof that you did not lose anything during that week as you obviously gained from the extra time off. Just something to think about........

Yes I'm a HIT advocate.
You make me laugh dude, have you posted in a single thread without hawking HIT?..Though, I suppose this would be one of the few that it is warranted..Not starting anything either, just merely stating..Anyway, I like to do around 3-4 months as well

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Every 6 to 8, makes for much better gains and maintains, for me any way.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Hey what can I say I like HIT. With that being said i have posted may times withut mentioning HIT or Mentzer when in the other parts of this board.

Beatmaster

Awards
I'll say every 8/10 weeks, and everytime i feel stronger.