Quad injury while squatting

BobbyRay

Awards
Yesterday I was doing free squats, worked up to 405 for 6 reps. Then for my last set I decided to reduce the weight to 365 and on the fourth rep I felt a pop in my upper right quad. I racked the weight and immediately stopped the workout. The muscles of my upper/outer quad below the hip flexor hurt when going up stairs and sitting down/getting up. Bodyweight squats hurt. extending the leg and contracting the muscles don't cause much pain. I've kept it iced and been using ibuprofen since the injury occurred. There has been little to no swelling that I can tell and no bruising yet.

I'm thinking it is a stage 1 or 2 muscle strain from what research I've been doing on the net about thigh injuries. At first I thought it was a muscle tear but the pain is already gone down a little and no swelling/bruising has shown up. I am getting a doctor's appointment asap but wondered if anyone had any advice or experience with this type of injury? All I am doing right now is keeping it iced/elevated (20 minutes of ice every 1.5-2 hours) and taking ibuprofen. I'm avoiding any unneccessary activity as well.

Thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would say that it is just a mild strain, especially since you can extend the leg w/o any pain. Just lay off a while and maybe rehab the muscle by using a stationary bike w/ some light resistance.

BobbyRay

Awards
I would say that it is just a mild strain, especially since you can extend the leg w/o any pain. Just lay off a while and maybe rehab the muscle by using a stationary bike w/ some light resistance.
Thank you. I was planning on using some light resistance band work and light leg extensions (i do these while sitting on the reverse hyper).

I have an appointment to see an orthapedist tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll find out exactly what the nature of the injury is. I know it isn't a bad tear because I've torn my pec and biceps in the past and they both were way worse than this (swole up to twice their size, bruised/bloody beneath the skin, extreme pain and near complete loss of strength, etc.) BUT I feared the worst when it happened because the familiar "POP" sound did happen.

Anyway, any other info/comments, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks again, bro.

Sirius

Awards
heat and rest are your best friends..a heating cream ..heating pad at night..etc..some light stretching..etc..and rest! Hope you heal up soon and nice weight on the squats btw! :woohoo:

BobbyRay

Awards
heat and rest are your best friends..a heating cream ..heating pad at night..etc..some light stretching..etc..and rest! Hope you heal up soon and nice weight on the squats btw! :woohoo:

Thanks for the props. Ironically, this was supposed to be a max effort day, where I usually work up to a 1-3 rep record (max out or sometimes go till I miss). Instead, I decided to take it "easy" and do "light" free weight squats. Odd.

I think I have a quad/hamstring strength imbalance that needs correction. I've concentrated on working my posterior chain so hard for the past couple of years and dropped most direct quad work, this has made me a lot stronger (especially my hams, glutes, and low back) in the squat+DL. I think this is a sign that I need to include some direct quad work/unilateral leg work like front squats, lunges, bulgarian squats, etc. into my routine.

I see the doc tomorrow am and will report back. Thanks again for the advice/comments.

Novice 58

Awards
I realize this was 2006, but I am interested in what the Dr said and how this all worked out. I just experienced the exact same injury and am looking for an estimated recovery time. The "POP" scared the sh*t out of me,, but today I have no swelling or excessive stiffness. Just pain when I bend my leg (stairs, body weight squats). I am hoping to not be out of the game for too long. Any info is appreciated.

happyArse

Awards
How did it work out for you? I have same symptoms

Barca1323

Awards
The pop could b caused from Snapping Hip Syndrome aka Dancers hip. It’s actually very common in anyone who lifts weights bcuz of the way the psoas works under heavy weight in a squat. I see it pretty often in some of my patients. Stretching out the hip flexor properly, and I say properly bcuz most people do not, will provide relief. And just like Sirius said, heat is your best friend. Wanna keep good blood flow in there to promote healing. I would stay away from ice unles it’s within 24 hours after the initial injury. I wouldn’t be to worried only because of how soon the pain went away after you felt the Pop. If you tore the quad or any other muscle you would deff know without question

happyArse

Awards
I think what may have happened is two muscles in my quad were scarred together and they broke apart. I do injections in the top of my leg and I do have scar tissue build up.

Barca1323

Awards
Graston would b great choice then. They have tools now that are affordable for individuals to but that you can start scraping away at scar tissue. I would also recommend getting a lacrosse ball n really roll out the area aggressively to help break up any scar tissue and help the muscle move better