Quad injury while squatting

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.46%

Quad injury while squatting

Yesterday I was doing free squats, worked up to 405 for 6 reps. Then for my last set I decided to reduce the weight to 365 and on the fourth rep I felt a pop in my upper right quad. I racked the weight and immediately stopped the workout. The muscles of my upper/outer quad below the hip flexor hurt when going up stairs and sitting down/getting up. Bodyweight squats hurt. extending the leg and contracting the muscles don't cause much pain. I've kept it iced and been using ibuprofen since the injury occurred. There has been little to no swelling that I can tell and no bruising yet.

I'm thinking it is a stage 1 or 2 muscle strain from what research I've been doing on the net about thigh injuries. At first I thought it was a muscle tear but the pain is already gone down a little and no swelling/bruising has shown up. I am getting a doctor's appointment asap but wondered if anyone had any advice or experience with this type of injury? All I am doing right now is keeping it iced/elevated (20 minutes of ice every 1.5-2 hours) and taking ibuprofen. I'm avoiding any unneccessary activity as well.

Thanks.

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.69%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I would say that it is just a mild strain, especially since you can extend the leg w/o any pain. Just lay off a while and maybe rehab the muscle by using a stationary bike w/ some light resistance.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.46%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    I would say that it is just a mild strain, especially since you can extend the leg w/o any pain. Just lay off a while and maybe rehab the muscle by using a stationary bike w/ some light resistance.
    Thank you. I was planning on using some light resistance band work and light leg extensions (i do these while sitting on the reverse hyper).

I have an appointment to see an orthapedist tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll find out exactly what the nature of the injury is. I know it isn't a bad tear because I've torn my pec and biceps in the past and they both were way worse than this (swole up to twice their size, bruised/bloody beneath the skin, extreme pain and near complete loss of strength, etc.) BUT I feared the worst when it happened because the familiar "POP" sound did happen.

Anyway, any other info/comments, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks again, bro.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.59%

heat and rest are your best friends..a heating cream ..heating pad at night..etc..some light stretching..etc..and rest! Hope you heal up soon and nice weight on the squats btw!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.46%

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius
    heat and rest are your best friends..a heating cream ..heating pad at night..etc..some light stretching..etc..and rest! Hope you heal up soon and nice weight on the squats btw!

Thanks for the props. Ironically, this was supposed to be a max effort day, where I usually work up to a 1-3 rep record (max out or sometimes go till I miss). Instead, I decided to take it "easy" and do "light" free weight squats. Odd.

I think I have a quad/hamstring strength imbalance that needs correction. I've concentrated on working my posterior chain so hard for the past couple of years and dropped most direct quad work, this has made me a lot stronger (especially my hams, glutes, and low back) in the squat+DL. I think this is a sign that I need to include some direct quad work/unilateral leg work like front squats, lunges, bulgarian squats, etc. into my routine.

I see the doc tomorrow am and will report back. Thanks again for the advice/comments.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.14%

I realize this was 2006, but I am interested in what the Dr said and how this all worked out. I just experienced the exact same injury and am looking for an estimated recovery time. The "POP" scared the sh*t out of me,, but today I have no swelling or excessive stiffness. Just pain when I bend my leg (stairs, body weight squats). I am hoping to not be out of the game for too long. Any info is appreciated.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Upper thigh pain while SQUATTING!
    By soseg in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 08:51 AM
  2. Injury while on PP cycle
    By KTL in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 10:01 PM
  3. Best way to prevent injuries while using AAS?
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
  4. Visual Trails while Squatting
    By RobInKuwait in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:20 AM
  5. injury while on m1t
    By canadian champ in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 04:01 PM