New Home Gym?

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
With money not really of a huge issue, my uncle is looking for a nice, solid home gym station. He has a 12 year old who will be starting out too. Both are just newbs, but want something sort of like an "all inclusive" machine. Maybe like a smith machine with attachments. I was thinking of a bench and those power blocks. Anyone have a good website that illustrates the home gym you'd choose? Much K!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Bro this post belongs in exercise science!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Marcy Smith machines are all inclusive and on ironcompany.com come with an extra barbell w/300lbs olympic plates..The front has pegs so you can do bp/squats without the smith..Also comes with a high and low pulley plus chin up bar

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where u are located, but you could try a store called PLAY IT AGAIN SPORTS. They sell used and new sporting goods equipment. You can find various weightlifting equipment there for decent prices(i.e. benches, DB, weights, BB, bars,etc...)

also could try a site called craigslist.org. Basically a classified, but usually has some fitness equipment on there. Just a thought.

hope that helps a little

johngalt

Awards
Forget the Smith Machine. Get a power rack with a pullup bar and dip attachments, an adjustable bench, a barbell (or if you want some extra grip work, get a thick barbell), and some powerblocks. Those 4 things will allow you get a hell of a workout. Other fun stuff: a dragging sled, a safety squat bar, some plyo boxes, bands and chains, reverse hyper, and a glute ham raise. Maybe make an olympic lifting platform. If you actually equip yourself with all of that then take some pictures and post them so I can dream...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Forget the Smith Machine. Get a power rack with a pullup bar and dip attachments, an adjustable bench, a barbell (or if you want some extra grip work, get a thick barbell), and some powerblocks. Those 4 things will allow you get a hell of a workout. Other fun stuff: a dragging sled, a safety squat bar, some plyo boxes, bands and chains, reverse hyper, and a glute ham raise. Maybe make an olympic lifting platform. If you actually equip yourself with all of that then take some pictures and post them so I can dream...
The Smith Machine I mentioned comes with pegs and a bb w/300 lbs olympic weight, the rack is on there too so you can do squats/bench without the smith machine and it costs half as much a regular power rack, and it comes with a chin up bar as well....

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
A power rack, adjustable bench, and barbell with sufficient weights is all you really need.

You could also get a pair of dumbells with the screw on weight plates to include DB exercises too.

jdubz

Awards
I have a Powertech Powerrack System (Lat attachment and cable system) with a Powertech Utility Bench and have been very happy with it especially for the price. I bought my olympic bar and weight set from Play It Again Sports and it was much cheaper than anywhere else!

charliewat

Awards
that smith machine sounds good. I got a powertec workbench and some standard weight dumbell handles. but if I could I might get that smith plus the weights thats a fair deal to me.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that smith machine sounds good. I got a powertec workbench and some standard weight dumbell handles. but if I could I might get that smith plus the weights thats a fair deal to me.
Yeah, it's at www.ironcompany.com...I think it's a pretty nice deal considering for an olympic bar and weights your looking at 300-400 anyway, pickin up the whole thing for 1G isn't bad.