Poll: What did your twice-a-day training experience provide?

You've lifted twice a day and... ?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

You've lifted twice a day and... ?

How did you find it?

Personally, the very best results I have ever obtained was by doing so. I could kill the cardio completely and train 8 times a week 4 days x 2 or event 10, 12 workouts a week. I'd gain size like mad and rip to shreds while eating like a monster. It was GREAT.

Of course, getting older and bigger, when the mid-30's came, I could no longer do that when unassisted. Granted, it also eats up time like nothing else, and isn't for everyone, but IMO it can be very beneficial if done properly. What do you guys think?

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.57%

Did it awhile back when I was in my late teens (I'm 26 now an to be honest really havent' had the luxury of having the time to do this since then). When I did though it was real similar to what you said. I gained size and got very lean. However I took naps in the middle of the day and basically acted like a pro bodybuilder minus all the gear, and I probably didn't have as much diet knowledge back then as I do now. In fact not probably definitly did not.

I like to do a bodypart a day or maybe two small bodyparts split into two sessions. Morning I went heavy (more sets and less reps) and at night I went ligheter (less sets more reps. Still kept my workouts to under 30 minutes to 45 minutes tops. SO my total time was about the same. BTW Christiane Thibiduea (sp?) over a t-mag wrote and article awhile back about how he went over to Europe (I think it was Europe) and that was how their bodybuilders trained, twice a day. If you want the link ask and I'll try and find it. Good article. ALso before that I remember Charles Poliquin talking about it back in Muscle Media before anyone else really seamed to (or lets just say that was the first place I say that idea laid out).
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.56%

If i train and do ANY thing else, or overtrain i lose visible inches in size. My metabolism has slowed but i lose 1.2 inches in a week on my arms when i hit em hard and didnt eat enough. I think for hard gainers this is hit or really big miss. Grunt you animal..
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

At 33, it would probably be too much for me. I have scaled back my training to a 9 or 11 day split and notice a lot less CNS taxation with decent but slower gains. Prior to this, I would train 4 days a week, gain a lot of lbm on cycle but lose a lot post cycle and then have to deal with all sorts of over training symptoms.

Now I am focusing on keeping gains long term rather than yo-yoing but then I'm not shooting for anything close to pro level BBing.
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.64%

I find lifting twice a day to be a very efficienty way to overtrain and get really really sick (pnemonia, bronchitus).

also a good way for me to get fat and loose muscle mass and strength

im not fan
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.62%

I love lifting twice a day when I'm cutting. Get's my metabolism up and allows me to really focus on each bodypart. Being a PT i'm always at the gym so I have it a little easier then most.
  7. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.11%

This is actually something I'm looking into right now. From what I've mostly read, if you do split 2x a day, you need to keep sets down. If you do X sets per day normally, 2x a day workouts should have a similar set range, so that overall, you are having the same type of volume. This will avoid the CNS overtraining many people are talking about here.

Also, if you hit the gym at say 8am then again at 6pm, you can benifit from the post-workout nutrient partitioning affects throughout the day. I think this is the biggest benifit of workouting out twice per day.
  8. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Guys that are training 2 times a day are you using the same program and just splitting it up or actually doing more sets, reps etc.

Eg. Ok let's say a person is doing 2 body parts 3 times a week so would you just do one body part AM and the second body part PM?

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Guys that are training 2 times a day are you using the same program and just splitting it up or actually doing more sets, reps etc.

Eg. Ok let's say a person is doing 2 body parts 3 times a week so would you just do one body part AM and the second body part PM?

CROWLER
    That's the way I did it, adding perhaps a few sets, so that each workout would last 40 minutes or so. I've seen guys do 2 x 60 min., but then again I like to keep the intensity up during my workouts, especially that with this training regimen, pretty much no cardio gets done.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.76%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I do it all of the time, as do a lot of other competitive weightlifters. As a bb'er I am not so sure as to the extra benefits it would have.

11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.23%

Did when I was in HS, but I would burn out to quick.
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.82%

I would lose LBM by the hour if I did it. Right now, I can only train twice/week to be able to recover. And not the same bodyparts twice/week, I only train a different session twice. Like this: Sunday will be chest/tris, and Friday will be back/bis, and then on wednesday of the following week I'll hit my delts/deads/legs. Then 5 days later I will start with chest/tris again. Genetics suck, lemme be the first to say.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43%

About four years ago i made my first bodybuilding purchase it was a great book to me is called(THE NEW ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MODERN BODYBUILDING).I know it sound lame but hell at that time i love Arnold physique and still do so y try his workout.Here's the split i followed day 1. chest,back a.m. legs p.m.
    Day 2.a.m.shoulders,arms,forearms. p.m.Calves and abs everynight Day.3 rest repeat for 2 days. I made great agains using that method of training.Reason being i think because that amount of volume shock and stimulant muscle growth.I did for about 5 weeks around week 4 with my job and all i had became exhausted. i wasnt really into taking supplements then i'm sure that would have help me long. But i like the twice a day jmo!
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.19%

Doing 2 sessions per day would lead to gross overtraing for the overwhelming majority of people, especially if that are clean.
  15. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%

Quote Originally Posted by phil216
    Doing 2 sessions per day would lead to gross overtraing for the overwhelming majority of people, especially if that are clean.

A number of guys are talking about doing the same number of sets and reps they usually do but just splitting it in 2 not doing 2 full workouts each day.

CROWLER
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%

A number of guys are talking about doing the same number of sets and reps they usually do but just splitting it in 2 not doing 2 full workouts each day.

CROWLER
    Yes. It is widely known that 2 exercise sessions in one day stimulate growth hormone release in MUCH greater amounts than one single session.

Moreover, when training sessions last above 45 minutes, cortisol release increases rapidly, as shown by ample research.

So it isn't as black-and-white as it seems on the surface...
  17. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt76
    Yes. It is widely known that 2 exercise sessions in one day stimulate growth hormone release in MUCH greater amounts than one single session.

Moreover, when training sessions last above 45 minutes, cortisol release increases rapidly, as shown by ample research.

So it isn't as black-and-white as it seems on the surface...

Grunt I used to quote the cortisol increase and test decrease when a training session lasts longer than 45 minutes but does it really make sense?

Let's say one guy does 15 sets in 45 minutes and another guy does 25 because of different amounts of rest. I don't see how they both are about to increse cortisol release? You see what I mean?

CROWLER
  18. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%

Ok I am going to test this 2 workouts per day thing-a-ma-gig.

I will keep the same number of reps and sets, exercises etc. I would think I will be able to more weight on some exercises such as close grip bench as I will have had a much longer rest after doing regular bench.

I am going to cut for a week and take a week off of all training and give this a try.

Any suggestions appreciated.

CROWLER
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

and i got tired. plus it interfered with eating, so it had to go.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.56%

what happens when you train say quads for 45 min then switch to bis for 45 min thay are not really involved in the training of the other, does the 45 min cortisol rule mean 45 total or 45 per muscle.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

legitimate question but i'd have to say you're overthinking it. also, 45 minutes of bi's? good lord.
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%

Well if I remember correctly, total amount of volume was not very significant while the workout duration was a singificant factor in cortisol release. I tried finding the studies again recently - I remember it was on pubmed, but could not find them again. So it's memory-based I guess... The 25-set person will also get a much greater hGH response out of his workout.

But of course some will say that any spike in insulin post-workout will blunt the effects of cortisol. This might be true of skeletal muscle, but I am sure cortisol affects other tissues also although I am a little in the vague as to what, how and how much. Sadly I am again tonight unable to find the studies to back up my word.
  23. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%

It's 45-minutes per workout. Well actually, I remember that this fairly extensive study showed optimal GH levels between 37 and 45 minutes, and significant increase in cortisol after the 45-minute mark, meaning that for each minute after the 45th, more and more cortisol is being released.

To top all that off, I just re-read today studies that show a much more pronounced total-Test and free-Test response to resistance exercise in younger men VS older men, whereas cortisol response doesn't change with age but does change WRT athlete status, meaning that trained athletes have a lesser cortisol response.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.56%

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    legitimate question but i'd have to say you're overthinking it. also, 45 minutes of bi's? good lord.
    well i usually go between muscle groups like if i did chest and bi's id do my first chest movement then my second and after the second id add in bis going back and forth instead of resting between sets. so id do bench, dips, barbell curls, flyes, preacher hammers, pull overs, concentration curls, finish with one or two sets of each bis and chest with low weight high reps to get one last good pump before i head to go stretch. I may be overtraining so recently ive reduced my workouts as less is more when overtraining is involved.

Thanks grunt im goona go balls to the wall and get the F*&k out of there. No more 1.25 hour workouts, even with two body parts.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

IMO, the larger muscle groups don't need any more than 2-3 exercises. smaller ones, no more than 2. i count 4 there for chest and 3 for bi's, you may very well be overtraining. try less and see what happens for a stint. as for length of workouts, that varies for me. since i follow DC training, i can't imagine being done with quads/hams/forearms/bi's/calves in less than an hour. not to mention with the stretches. i never understood why everyone is in such a rush to get out of the gym. it ain't nascar.
  26. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt76
    It's 45-minutes per workout. Well actually, I remember that this fairly extensive study showed optimal GH levels between 37 and 45 minutes, and significant increase in cortisol after the 45-minute mark, meaning that for each minute after the 45th, more and more cortisol is being released.

To top all that off, I just re-read today studies that show a much more pronounced total-Test and free-Test response to resistance exercise in younger men VS older men, whereas cortisol response doesn't change with age but does change WRT athlete status, meaning that trained athletes have a lesser cortisol response.

37 - 45 minutes is perfect. My current workouts take approx 1 hour 20 mins even though I only do 15 work sets. So now I will divide it in half and each workout will be approx 40 mins.

Hey I might even have time to work calves and abs which I don't do now

CROWLER
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%

Yeh, optimal hGH response + insulin = IGF-1. If hGH is high at the same time as insulin, the liver combines them together and makes IGF-1. This is followed, shortly thereafter, by an expression of IGFBP, which has the job of "mopping up" any IGF that hasn't successfully attached to a receptor, but in the natural athlete this mechanism doesn't come into action because the amount of IGF-1 isn't huge compared to the amount of receptors activated through the exercise.

This is the reason so many advocate a high-GI post-workout shake even if the amount of carbs involved seems small, such as 50g dextrose. This has nothing to do with glycogen replenishment or synthesis although it certainly doesn't hinder. Combined with a hypertrophy wourkout, I find this is efficient.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

but you forgot one thing......those are a lot of big words.

anyhoo, what's good for the goose ain't always good for the gander. some guys can get by with dextrose for PostWO, but the carb sensitive fellows need to stay away from it. i find blended up oatmeal with whey works great for pre and post.
  29. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.62%

CROWLER
    Well I do it when I'm cutting so I still only train each body part once a week. The other days I leave my muslce alone and do HIIT style cardio.
  30. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.64%

We do that here at FSU for football over the summer. I lift for about 50-70 minutes around 11:00 am in the morning then we have to be back at the field at 5:00 pm to do heavy sprints or agility type work. I can tell you the fatloss is outstanding. I am a hardcore ecto, however, so it can be frustrating at times. Luckily since it was summer I was able to sleep a lot in between and eat like crazy. Here is what I looked like when I was doing it. I actually did gain about 6 more lbs than I am here (all lean mass) while I was doing all of this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.56%

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    We do that here at FSU for football over the summer. I lift for about 50-70 minutes around 11:00 am in the morning then we have to be back at the field at 5:00 pm to do heavy sprints or agility type work. I can tell you the fatloss is outstanding. I am a hardcore ecto, however, so it can be frustrating at times. Luckily since it was summer I was able to sleep a lot in between and eat like crazy. Here is what I looked like when I was doing it. I actually did gain about 6 more lbs than I am here (all lean mass) while I was doing all of this.
    You look ripped and powerful, keep it up you abviously found something that works for you, given your admiration of your accomplishments.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.84%

I got some of my best results with an expieriment I did a few years back. I was lifting twice a day and going no where so I...

Took 5 days off and lifted once a week. One movement/set per body part to failure.

It looked like this:

Weighted chins
    Incline DB press
    Preacher curl
    Weighted dips
    SLDL's
    Squats
    Calf raises
    DB shoulder press

Every movement to failure.

I did this for 8 weeks, documented everything. My strength went way up, also my rep count went way up.

When I first started I could do 8 good chins with a dip belt blus 20#'s at the and I was doing 8-10 with 60#'s

My lady couldn't do any chins un-assisted, at the end she was doing 6 with 25#'s added...

Pretty cool.

Moral of the story...Do not overtrain!
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.33%

does anyone train the same body part twice a day or just different bodyparts?

I've been cutting for a while and have been able to keep (slightly) increasing weights on everything except chest. I really seem to run out of strength after doing two main pressing exercises. I really want to switch stuff up, so I was thinking of trying this:

AM:
    Chest Pressing Exercise 1
    Chest Pressing Exercise 2

PM:
    Ancillary delt work (same as current workout)
    Chest Isolation Exercise 2

I'd keep volume exactly the same, but see the benefit as 1) getting to have two pre/post workout meals and b) rest/recovery time should allow me to put more effort into the second half of the workout. Anybody think this is worth trying or just nuts?
    -jeff
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.09%

I wouldn't even try that. I think the goal is HIT and RUN, meaning, give the stimulus for growth, then REST. If you work the same bodypart again, you're just giving the same stimulus to a muscle that has just received it a few hours ago.

I think the main reason for the 2xD thing is the enhanced hGH pulse, and added INTENSITY to "second" bodypart. By this I mean if you do chest & triceps, you will be less intense with your tris if you were at max intensity with chest, unless you keep it REALLY short...
  35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.48%

36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.55%

Alright well this summer I was thinking about going 2ce a day. This is how I would go about it.

Run 20-30 minutes at a fast pace.
    Work out 1

HEAVIEST WEIGHT I CAN DO REPS ON
    3x8 Seated Chest Press
    3x8 Pec Dec
    3x8 Pulldowns
    4x8 Seated Row
    6x8 Curls
    3x10 Wrist curls
    3x8 Leg Extentions
    3x8 Chest pull downs
    3x8 Leg Press
    3x10 Dips
    3x20 Millitary press.
    500 Sit-up variations.

Work out 2
    HALF OF MY MAXES
    3x15 Seated Chest Press
    3x15 Pec Dec
    3x12 Pulldowns
    4x15 Seated Row
    3x16 Curls
    3x10 Wrist curls
    3x10 Leg Extentions
    3x10 Chest pull downs
    3x15 Leg Press
    3x5 Dips
    3x20 Millitary press.
    500 Sit-up variations.

I would be taking protein and creatine.
    I would also be swimming in the pool a good bit of the day.
  37. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.11%

Honestly, I think working out twice per day is good for reason Grunt said. Hit one bodypart in the morning, and a different in the evening. Doing the same muscle twice in the same day is probably not the best idea.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.55%

So heavy in the morning and very light in the evening is a no-no? Even when intaking alot of protien and creatines and bcaa/eaas to help prevent muscle breakdown/ increase protein synthesis.
  39. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.11%

The only two reasons I can think of doing 2 a days for is:

1) Improving metabolic rate
    2) More energy for later exercises
    2b) Possible manuplation of hormones...

There is no point to train light unless you are trying to improve endurance.
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.55%

Quote Originally Posted by doggzj
    The only two reasons I can think of doing 2 a days for is:

1) Improving metabolic rate
    2) More energy for later exercises
    2b) Possible manuplation of hormones...

There is no point to train light unless you are trying to improve endurance.
    1@2 are the main reasons, the morning work out is for stregnth and size. The after-noon is just for endurance and to keep blood flowing and some quick muscle twitch fibers.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
  2. TRT: Applying gel twice a day, and when to test blood serum
    By VirginiaMan in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 08:53 PM
  3. How do you keep focused on school work and lifting?
    By Inchamery in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 02:26 PM
  4. Is it OK to lift twice a day?
    By bigred869 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 12:55 PM