Ingredients for success (Motivation)

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Ingredients for success
by superior1

Below are the ingredients I have found to be successful at bodybuilding. Although I am still far far from my goals. I have came a long way and learned a lot not only about bodybuilding but also about myself. Hopefully being aware of these will motivate you and help you achieve your goals. In writing this I have learned that I need to apply them with much more intensity myself. The first 5 ingredients are ingredients for success in general the last five are concentrated on what we love the most. Bodybuilding!

Ingredient #1 Heart-ane's innermost character, feelings, or inclinations b: the essential or most vital part of something Hum! What does heart have to do with it? It has EVERYTHING to do with it. You have to be driven by it. The lifestyle has to be on your heart when you wake up when you go to sleep. Every waking hour, At every meal. I see guys all the time saying that they want to workout and say they going to come train with me. And will show up once maybe twice and then make excuses. They lack the heart to do it but they also lack discipline. If you lose heart, you lose the power it takes to have the following 4 ingredients. Your heart empowers you to even have a vision for yourself. That moves us to the next ingredient.

Ingredient #2 Vision-a manifestation to the senses of something not yet conceived. You have to have a vision for yourself. A solid vision will empower you to have the faith that you will achieve what you have set out to accomplish. A lack of vision results in a lack of faith which results in sitting on your rump. Like the type fellows I’ve talked about above. They have the heart and the vision for them selves. (Usually an unrealistic vision but it has to start somewhere). But these type guys simply lack discipline. Which takes us to number 3

Ingredient #3 Discipline- a : control gained by enforcing obedience or order b : orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior Discipline is a hard one for most people, due to their laziness and ability to make excuses. It does not come naturally. It’s something that needs to be instilled in you. Most of your discipline materializes at a young age, although it can be strengthened. It sets apart the mundane from the elite. You have to set your self up to win, And to do so have a routine to follow. And make it your priority. And do it!!

Ingredient #4 Determination- the power or habit of deciding definitely and firmly. We all can be determined to want something. We did it as kids when we go to the dept. store and we see that He-man action figure and we have to have it. We beg and beg until we get it. Or save our allowance for weeks until we have the 9.95 it takes to buy it. Or as young men, we see that hot chick and we HAVE TO HAVE IT!! We don’t stop until we get it.. That is how we have to be with Bodybuilding. You can’t let anything get in your way. Make no excuses. You have to be focused on the goal and determined 24/7. That’s the attitude you got to have.
Ingredient #5 Knowledge- a (1) : the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association (2) : acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique b (1) : the fact or condition of being aware of something (2) : the range of one's information or understanding Knowledge comes when you realize you do not know everything. And you say to yourself. Hey! I need to learn more about this. I would think most here are hungry for knowledge. So this is an area we do not need to spend much time on. But is a very important ingredient for success. If you think you know it all. That proves how unwise you actually are. Hanging around this site is a great resource for knowledge, so hang around and take notes.

The above ingredients apply to life in general, and are the ones you don’t think consciously about. In most cases they have to be embedded in your character from childhood. They are more subconscious than actions than conscious ones. To be successful in anything you have to have them all. Missing one would be like missing the yeast when making bread, or the eggs when baking a cake. Hopefully if you have found this site you have the first four ingredients already in place. If not! Then now is the time to dodo or get off the pot. Now lets move on to something more relevant to this site. Lets talk about the ingredients required to be successful and achieve your vision.. So lets get to the ones that we need work on. And I do have them in order of importance. Or at least in order of where I know I have had trouble placing emphasis on in the past.

Ingredient #6 Diet- the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason. You may as well not workout if you do not already have inplace the proper diet and the means to make it happen. I used to tell myself that all the time. Early on I had the tendency to workout, I had discipline in that area. But outside the gym I lived a normal guys life. And I ate like a the average Joe, And I had normal results to show for it. I knew I had to get disciplined with my diet. You firstly have to understand that diet comes first. Because I don’t know about you guys but I see more guys busting there rumps in the gym only to watch them go hours and hours before even eating their next meal. You have to view food as a tool. A tool for building muscle. Training and diet are both equal but I believe most of people particularly newbies tend to focus on training and forget about diet. So this is to help re-evaluate your priorities and motivate you to do what makes you grow and that is EAT! There is an hour or so to break you down, but there are 23 hours to re-build. Where do you want to place your emphasis? Working out is the glamorous side of it. You get in there and try and look pretty, with your pumped bis. Plus it’s addictive! But diet is the part that becomes tedious and boring to say the least. And when I say you might as well not train if you don’t have your diet right is not to discourage you from working out but to motivate you to re-evaluate your diet. Whether your trying to bulk or trying to cut, you have to know what you should eat and when. Pre-plan all 90% if not more of your meals for the day. And pre-plan your cheat meals if your cutting and don’t wane from that not even 1 inch.

Ingredient #7 Rest- a bodily state characterized by minimal functional and metabolic activities. SLEEP! So what about training and working out? You might ask! That’s what this is all about isn’t it? 6 ingredients so far and we haven’t even talked about working out!!! Hold your horses!! We are getting there. I say these first because these are the areas most people put way to low on the scale of priorities. Going to the gym for an hour is much easier than forcing 6000 calories down throughout the day and still have enough time to get a good solid 8 hours of sleep. And most people when they start working out, workout for 2 hours 6 days a week and eat three meals of 1000 calories each and think they are doing good. BROTHER!! THAT IS NOT CUTTING IT!! Well back to the point of this ingredient. Get your sleep. And if possible nap for 30 minutes during the day. I don’t nap so I won’t press the issue. But definitely get 8 hours.

Ingredient #8 Training- a practice or exercise to test or improve one's fitness for athletic competition, ability, or performance You go boy! Now were talking!! There are lots and lots of principles on training. But you just need the basics. Your workouts should be short and sweet. 1 hour MAX!! And the key is INTENSITY. Intensity is a relevant term. You may think your training intensely on your first workout, which you very well may have, but intensity grows as your training level does. Keep the intensity level high. Compound movements, heavy weights, and moderate reps. Every now and then you can do you cable crossovers if you want to look at your self in the mirror. But please don’t use this as your foundation, or for that matter waste time using cables to shape and tone! That is BS. Use your gym time wisely by obliterating your muscle tissue with heavy compound movements. And for the fatties, you have your cardio!! Boring cardio!! Hum. Fortunately I do not know much about this. Since I have trouble getting my body fat OVER 12% I have never been a fan of cardio. What are the benefits for someone like me. More blood flow? Oxygen utilization? Fat burning? Possibly!! But I have always seen it as Mass burning so I don’t place emphasis on it. But I should to some degree.

Ingredient #9 Supplements- something that completes or makes an addition For the most part stay out of GNC. Except maybe on Tuesdays when they have they gold card sales. And they give you the opportunity to pay twice as much as the supplements are worth. Instead of three times. Go online to Proteinfactory or kilosports (my favs) There are many more but these are the ones I use. There you can get your whey, creatine, glutamine, and Flax Oil there. That’s the basics of what you need. There is more but that is what I have found to work for me. And believe me I have tried them all. To sublingual Smilax, to cybergenics, I don’t even want to think about Mr. Weiders Rolls Royce that I bought for him back in the 80’s and early 90’s. Firstly make sure your spending your money on real food. And then supplements second.

Ingredient #10 Gear- a mechanism that performs a specific function in a complete machine J The general public thinks this should be rule #1 to getting huge. But we all know, or at least I hope we all know this is not the case. And actually far from the truth. There is so much more that has to happen inside the gym and more over outside the gym to make you look the way you do, or the way you visualize yourself to look. I don’t think AS is a necessity for everyone. And if you are making great gains without them then more power to you. But most people need them to achieve the goals that they have set before them. But only AFTER all of the above ingredients are put into practice. And put into practice for more than a couple months. Firstly try gaining naturally first and see what your natural potential is. If you have happened upon this board and have not been training long and hear about all this AS use and are wetting your pants in anticipation for your first cycle. I suggest you hold off. And hang around the boards for a while and learn all you can first. And then delve into it after you have everything else taken care of. If you have happened upon this board and have been training a while and are wetting your pants in anticipation for you first cycle I suggest you hang around the boards, re-evaluate your priorities and make sure you have the aforementioned ingredients in place before placing your first order. Not saying you can order anything off the internet. I mean place your first order with your doctor. Yeah that’s it!! Because we all know that this site does not promote or encourage AS use. It’s only a forum to talk about it. If you ever think you know enough your fooling yourself. We have some very knowledgeable guys on board. Take advice and learn from them.

In summary. I would hope that this will just put into perspective where we need to put emphasis on. It will be different for everyone. I have put these in order in of what I think is most important. And to some people it may switch around. Some guys may need more help in the training part than the rest part. Not me. I have a bad habit of not sleeping enough. In the old days it was my diet. As I think it is for most newbies. But lately it has been rest for me. So take this for what its worth. I hope it can help the newbies re-evaluate, and maybe some of us other guys that just need a little motivation or re-focus. In any case. Lets get on to our true love. And remember there’s no such thing as obstacles only excuses.

Oh yeah And more important than ANYTHING. Never let the sport get in the way of giving all you can to your family and friends.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Good post bro, especially on the AAS. This should not be the first ingredient