Forearm Pain!!

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.83%

Exclamation Forearm Pain!!

What'sup everyone. Maybe some one could help me. Yesterday I was doing barbell curls with a weight i could manage for 10, when I got this pain in my left forearm (at the back of the forearm). It kind of feels like my lower arm is breakin!!! But this is the kicker it got much worst when I let the bar go.
    Please help if you know what this is. I would really hate to halt my workouts because as of late my strength has been going up in every lift at every workout. With no aas help.
    Thanks.

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.21%

Have you ever had shin splintz? This is basically the same thing, but in your forearms. Certain exercises give me these - straight bar curls, reverse grip curls especially.

I'd take a week off and relax. Use the EZ curl bar for all curls instead of straight bars, or better yet use dumbells. You could also increase rep range.

Many people who complain of this are guilty of relying too much on straps. Since I've cut back on straps (I use them only for shrugs and deads) I've eliminated any potential pain in this area.
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i had the same exact problem, my forearms would be killing me and right when i let go it would shoot pain right through my forearm that was twice as bad. for me it comes and goes sometimes its hurts sometimes it dosen't. like wedgylx said take a week off or so.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.71%

This is because you are gripping the bar too tight. Try easing up your grip a little. What hurts is a tendon that runs down your arm. I had these same pains so I researched this.

You can do these things:
    1. Strengthen your forearms (work them out). Many people neglect working out forearms because they figure lifting already puts enough stress on them as is.
    2. Ease up your grip. Don't grip the bars/dumbells so tightly.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.78%

Quote Originally Posted by xxtruxx1
    This is because you are gripping the bar too tight. Try easing up your grip a little. What hurts is a tendon that runs down your arm. I had these same pains so I researched this.

You can do these things:
    1. Strengthen your forearms (work them out). Many people neglect working out forearms because they figure lifting already puts enough stress on them as is.
    2. Ease up your grip. Don't grip the bars/dumbells so tightly.
    yeah as above stated its usually ur grip...loosen up a bit and u should be fine...i actually had a chip in my bone and thought it was grip...2 weeks later it broke...it cold also be lactic buildup if ur doing supersets, dropsets etc.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.11%

i have the same problem when i swap in barbell curls. i usually take a little time off- plus i like the variety.
    "A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most." -George Bernard Shaw

Similar Forum Threads

1. Forearm pains, less impact exercises needed! HELP
    By andros in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
  2. Forearm pain when benching or military presses.
    By flytrapcan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 03:57 PM
  3. Forearm Pain
    By Magickk in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 11:29 PM
  4. Chronic Upper Forearm Pain
    By PC1 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 10:49 PM
  5. How to stop recurring forearm pain?