Chest training

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
hey all im in a bit of a pickle, ive been training now for about 3 years (1 of them being well informed and somewhat decent diet-wise) and i've made great progress, im very happy ive made it this far, but one thing makes me want to flip a ****. My chest WILL NOT grow. I can incline and flat press 130lb dumbells for reps so its not a lack of strength, i just can't seem to get the necessary mass there. My arms are insane and grow entirely too fast (not exactly a problem i know, but i want to be proportionate) and i reallyyyyyyy need to bring my chest up to snuff. Any suggestions from you guys in regards to what to do training wise? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

(to give you a rough idea last tape measurement i took my chest was around 43" and my arms a bit over 19",:burger: yeah, its bad.)

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is your routine, exercises, weights, sets, reps etc. . .

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
post your chest routine bro. hell, post the last couple of them.

kbaseball16

Awards
Just going off what you said so far and not the extra information that we would need to know, I would say that partially your lack of chest growth could be to overtraining. I know what I start gaining a lot of strength but drop my reps down from 8 to around 2 or 3 that I start gaining strength but my size lacks so it could be that. Also, going to complete failure on each set will just lead to overtraining. I feel as though picking a weight that you can do 6-8 and have 1 rep left and stopping works best for me. Hope this helps and good luck on putting on size.

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
duh, yeah that might be a good idea.

Lately ive been doing a plateau routine with flat bench (i can't flat bench for ****, 325 is about my max) and going from 135 up to about 275 or so and back down again for a total of give or take 8-9 sets of 6-10 reps.

Then incline DB press - 3 sets, 6reps with max weight for that rep scheme.

flat DB flyes - same as above or 1 set less

Then i do a couple sets of pushups until my ass hits the floor.

Prior to that i was dicking around for about 2 weeks and prior to that i was working with Bobo after a bit of a layoff, this whole chest thing has been ongoing with me though.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i count 13 sets without the pushups. if you're not including warmups with that number, it could most definately be overtraining. also, a chest measurement is a tad misleading as your back may be underdeveloped as well.

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
back is pretty decent, i worked long and hard bringing that up, ill see if i can dig up a pic of a semi-spread cause i cant pose for shat.

edit: found one from last summer dieted down to about 190, unfortunately its from the front so you only get somewhat of an idea

Attachments

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
bro, you don't look underdeveloped at all. where are you measuring at?

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
about halfway up my lat.. the only other thing i can figure it might be is that my arms are just too big for the rest of my body, cause i really seem to look disproportionate at certain times, ill continue my picture whoring with an example, kind of a shitty pick but it gives you an idea what im working with.

maybe i should just find a way to shrink my arms ha

red eye for the win.

Attachments

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
possibly, but a 43" chest doesn't sound right looking at the pics you're showing me. hell, try reducing volume on your chest workout for a couple months and see what happens. also, do some extreme stretching after your chest workout. see if that helps. pick up a couple 80's and lay on a flat bench like you're about to press them up and just let them stretch your chest out. the more it hurts, the better.

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
possibly, but a 43" chest doesn't sound right looking at the pics you're showing me. hell, try reducing volume on your chest workout for a couple months and see what happens. also, do some extreme stretching after your chest workout. see if that helps. pick up a couple 80's and lay on a flat bench like you're about to press them up and just let them stretch your chest out. the more it hurts, the better.
alright thanks dude, ill definately try that. Ill update this every couple of days and look for feedback

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
won't hurt to try something different anyway, keeps it interesting. as for the stretch, hold it for 60-90 seconds.

and for anyone wondering, i didn't make this up. DC made it popular though.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
How come you don't incorporate dips into your workout?

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Overdeveloped arms and underdeveloped chest are sometimes the byproduct of insufficient ROM and control on chest movements. It is pretty easy to half-press 315 with momentum and quite another to go slowly down, stretch, and then willfully have the pecs do most of the work of bringing the weight back up. The first method has your arms doing most of the work.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
What Grunt said but also overtraining is probably a major factor as well - I count 15 sets plus pushups till failure - that is way to many sets - you only need about 9-10 sets total for your chest and certainly do not have to go to failure if you use slow and controlled reps 3down, 2up - if you worked with bobo why arent' you using what he gave you for chest day?

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
thats probably what im going to go back to, i had a buddy that swore by the split i described so i gave it a shot, but its like everyone says, whats good for him may not be good for me.

and form is actually about as good as can be expected, i made alot of improvements in the last year and since training with Bobo, so that is taken care of, may have been true in the past, but even before i started lifting my arms were always much bigger than the average, so i think its a cumulative thing.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
You may also just be naturally larged arm - not a horrible thing as you said but it's just like some people who have naturally small undeveloped calves, no matter what they do it just cant' happen for them.

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
yeah that's what im thinking, i was a scrawny little **** by just about all means before i started lifting and i still had 15" defined arms, and a great peak on my right arm, which i quickly caught up to with my left as i started lifting.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with Beelze, but you may also try TUT (time under tension) training, and lower the amount of sets. Also incorporate new exercises to your routine. Try using different grip schemes as well, close, middle, wide.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
agreed, TUT works wonders. forgot about that one for some reason.....must be slippin, lol.