Is this true? 15 day bulk, 15 day diet?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I was reading in a magazine that, If your trying to build muscle and keep a low body fat % you need to: Eat 3,500-4,000 Cals a day for 15 days then switch over to 2,500 cals a day for the other 15 days.... It said if you do this every month with some cardio, and a good weight lifting program, you should notice great results.... Is this true?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was reading in a magazine that, If your trying to build muscle and keep a low body fat % you need to: Eat 3,500-4,000 Cals a day for 15 days then switch over to 2,500 cals a day for the other 15 days.... It said if you do this every month with some cardio, and a good weight lifting program, you should notice great results.... Is this true?
I've never heard of such a thing. You can't use those numbers for everyone when we're all a different size. Sounds bogus to me..It's very difficult to keep a low BF% and build muscle. It can be done however if you eat very clean. You have to be in a calorie surplus to build muscle, so I'm not sure how they can advocate dropping cals so drastically in 2 measly weeks.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
There was a program, something like ABCDE that is even more dramatic than what you described. You bulk like crazy, and then diet at <2000 cals. UD2 is somewhat similar if used for bulking. I have come to the conclusion that these types of programs are not worth the suffering they require, at least not if doing it for any period of time. Why not just incrementally increase or decrease cals until you reach your goals.

Gdawg

Awards
There was a program, something like ABCDE that is even more dramatic than what you described. You bulk like crazy, and then diet at <2000 cals. UD2 is somewhat similar if used for bulking. I have come to the conclusion that these types of programs are not worth the suffering they require, at least not if doing it for any period of time. Why not just incrementally increase or decrease cals until you reach your goals.
Yeah, it stands for the Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet and Exercise. I've never tried it personally, but know of people who think highly of it. I'm actually considering trying after I am done dropping a few pounds just to try something totally new.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it stands for the Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet and Exercise. I've never tried it personally, but know of people who think highly of it. I'm actually considering trying after I am done dropping a few pounds just to try something totally new.
I started seven days ago. :bow28:

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
ABCDE was in the the origional Biotest Body for Life propoganda rag that Bill Phillips put out.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I agree, although the point of ABCDE was hormonal manipulation through food, which obviously isn't the case in constant-level caloric programs, which are admittedly much easier to follow. After reading the ABCDE, I remember being tempted to try it. Consider this a subscription.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm definitely curious to see how this turns out, but I thought something like UD2 is better for these purposes b/c leptin levels start to plummet after about 5-6 days of severe caloric restriction.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Well I did the 15 day diet and now I'm starting the 15 day bulk. I went from 191lbs to 183lbs.... My pants fit great and I see my abs again (just about connecting in the middle) Now if this works out right... I should get to "maybe" 192-93lbs then cut back in 15 days to 184-185lbs. Gaining 1-2lbs a month (LBM) I'll keep you all posted.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
The more I think about it, the more it's not so bad, I mean, you're dieting hard, but you know that in less than 2 weeks you'll be pigging out, that has got to be motivational. Jim?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
The more I think about it, the more it's not so bad, I mean, you're dieting hard, but you know that in less than 2 weeks you'll be pigging out, that has got to be motivational. Jim?
Yes, and I was looking forward to it.... Today so far.
7:00am, Cup of oats and a banana.
8:30am, English muffin with Natty PB...
9:30 3 egg western armlet, wheat toast and 1/2 order home fries.
12:00 two slices cheese pizza and a turkey sandwich....
2:30 I will have a Protein drink.
5:00 I will have a Large turkey breast, potato and Veggies.
7:00 What ever I can get my hands on (That's mostly clean)
(9:00) A large smoothie and a protein bar,

On my diet day's would look like this.
7:00 3/4 cup of oats...
9:30 egg beater omelet with wheat toast.
12:00 turkey,chicken or tuna sandwich.
2:30 protein drink
5:00 same as above but a smaller portion.
7:00 protein drink... Maybe some cottage cheese
I drink about a gallon or more of water on both plans.... Another thing I was thinking, I should save some money with this 15 day on 15 day off plan.... I have never really had a problem dieting... But this is a hole different story. You have something to look foward to.

Forgot to mention, I eat a can or two of tuna to make up the protein I need during the day..... Mostly after my workout.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I've thought about doing something like this. I was thinking more like 4-6 week fairly clean bulk, 2 week cut.

Could work well w/ HST. Do your 2 week cut during the two weeks of 15s, then bulk through the 10s, 5s, , etc. Then strategic deconditioning if you want, then back to cutting in the 15s.

The 2 bulk/2 cut would work better for guys that really like to bulk up w/ pizza & icecream (almost everyone falls into that category from time to time).

However, this really goes against the whole idea of gradually raising and lowering calories when you change from bulk to cut.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Well here is a recap... I bulked back up to 188 lbs from 183 in 15 days, pants still fit great and my abs are still showing (better than ever).... I started my 15 day diet yesterday and I think if I get back down to 183-184 I'll look pretty damn good... Leaner than I ever looked..... I think by doing this I am losing fat while gaining muscle.... I'm going to keep this up till the end of the winter and see how things go..... I'm also doing (15-20) rep sets with lighter weights while I'm dieting and switching back to 8-10 heavy reps while bulking..... Maybe I'm just fooling myself, but we will see.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well here is a recap... I bulked back up to 188 lbs from 183 in 15 days, pants still fit great and my abs are still showing (better than ever).... I started my 15 day diet yesterday and I think if I get back down to 183-184 I'll look pretty damn good... Leaner than I ever looked..... I think by doing this I am losing fat while gaining muscle.... I'm going to keep this up till the end of the winter and see how things go..... I'm also doing (15-20) rep sets with lighter weights while I'm dieting and switching back to 8-10 heavy reps while bulking..... Maybe I'm just fooling myself, but we will see.
Keep us updated. Pics would be great! :hammer:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
:think: Don't know how I missed this thread, but I started this (a tweaked ABCDE) back on Jan. 2nd. Part of a recomp. plan. I was going to start a Log here, but never did. I'm on week 4, and as of the end of week 3, I was down 4 pounds overall.

I used this back in the late 90s, and actually liked it. The only reason I changed was for the sake of change. I'm not sure why I never went back.:blink:

I may still start my log. It's a 12-week plan for me, so I still have 8 weeks left to report.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
ABCDE was in the the origional Biotest Body for Life propoganda rag that Bill Phillips put out.
Actually, BFL was EAS, not Biotest. Bill Phillips actually wrote about this prior to BFL. ABCDE was actually developed by Torbjorn Akerfeldt, a scientist/bodybuilder in Sweden.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
This is how I am able to diet ;)

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm, Very interesting. That looks about the same thing I'm doing.... The one I seen was in a muscle magazine but there wasn't a name for the plan.... Maybe Bobo will coment on this plan?
Yeah I'd be very interested to hear what Bobo has to say about this. After reading the article, it definitely sounds interesting. I may give it a shot.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'd be very interested to hear what Bobo has to say about this. After reading the article, it definitely sounds interesting. I may give it a shot.
I'll tell you one thing I like about it.... You look foward to the 15 day bulk period. :burger: :burger: :burger: :burger: :burger:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I do a 5 week bulk followed by a 1 week cut. Works well for me psychologically and physically. I didn't know there was something like this. Maybe I will give it a try.

CROWLER

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do find it hard to believe that you can eat anything you want and still pull this off. The science of it makes sense, but I just know I'd get fat as hell if I ate everything I wanted for 2 weeks as I'm a true endo.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I'm also an endo (well maybe meso-endo ;) ), and during the "bulking" weeks, I focus on elevating calories as opposed to just eating everything. During my first Bulk, I was actually eating "cleaner" than I had been before (when I was turning into a fat-ass during the holidays). I felt like I was still burning fat during my bulk, couldn't have just been the reward of knowing I was eating better.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
There were actually 4 parts to the article I posted. In part 2, Bill Phillips lists a sample meal plan for the bulk. It lists "clean" foods like oatmeal, chicken, egg whites, fruit, MRPs (although there is a cheeseburger).

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
I've never done this kind of diet, but I have heard of people having sucess dieting with something like a 3-4 days reduced cals...then uping it back up to maintainence for a day...then repeat.
The difference in cals is only about 500-700 cals though.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I've never done this kind of diet, but I have heard of people having sucess dieting with something like a 3-4 days reduced cals...then uping it back up to maintainence for a day...then repeat.
The difference in cals is only about 500-700 cals though.
I would say, on my 15 day bulk I'm taking in about 4,000-4,500 cals a day, maybe even a little more. On my diet days I'm only taking in about 2,000 cals a day.... I just try to get a lot of protein into them 2,000 cals.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Not to Hijack your thread, Jim, but I broke down and started the log I wanted to start 3 1/2 weeks ago...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/39134-redemption-mass_69s-retransformation-journal.html
I'll be checking it out... I really don't have the time to keep logs just up-dates..... I wounder how it would workout if I was taking SD while on 15 days of bulking and PCT on the other 15 day of dieting for the next two months? Probably screw something up, like my liver.:hammer:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'll be checking it out... I really don't have the time to keep logs just up-dates..... I wounder how it would workout if I was taking SD while on 15 days of bulking and PCT on the other 15 day of dieting for the next two months? Probably screw something up, like my liver.:hammer:
Definite :nono:

You don't want to be in an extreme deficit while onPCT. You want just the opposite.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

You don't want to be in an extreme deficit while onPCT. You want just the opposite.
Agreed, this would be a bad idea. I do think however that you could run an ECA stack on the two cut weeks and that could be extremely effective.

Spitdeath

Awards
I remember reading about this somewhere. Bill supposedly took the diet and changed the calorie amounts to make it sound more extreme. It was like originally you ate 17 cals per pound then went down to 12 for the diet part. He made it where you go from like 1200 cals for a whole day during the diet to 5000000 bulk and if you have a depressed metabolism you get fat too fast. But thats just what i read somewhere. I think it was on the hst forum.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf, creeping on 200lbs..... How tall are you?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
scott, is this what your talking about?
http://store.yahoo.com/generalnutritiondirect/ecastacbynut.html
Forgot to ask, I am very sensitive to caffeine... Is there anything in this stuff that is similar?.... I can't even drink a large coffee without sweating and having panic attacks.
I wasn't talking about that particular product per se, but any stack consisting of ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin would do the trick.
If your sensitive to caffeine, then I'd go for straight ephedrine hcl and leave the caffeine out. Most thermos these days contain caffeine.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf, creeping on 200lbs..... How tall are you?
6'

That is a bit outdated. I got up to about 204, but now that I'm cutting I'm down around 195. I'll probably cut to 185 (should have good abs at that weight), then I'll gradually bulk until summer. I'm shooting for 195 and ripped by July.

In my avatar I only weighed 172.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established

Agreed.

I thought about running a compound that could be used during cutting (something like Tren, Masteron, Winny. I have a bottle of M-TRN I've been wanting to try), and using that to assist with cutting on my final cutting phase of my plan. I just don't know if 2 weeks will do a lot. I definitely wouldn't use SD when cutting, especially since I'm lowering carbs.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Agreed.

I thought about running a compound that could be used during cutting (something like Tren, Masteron, Winny. I have a bottle of M-TRN I've been wanting to try), and using that to assist with cutting on my final cutting phase of my plan. I just don't know if 2 weeks will do a lot. I definitely wouldn't use SD when cutting, especially since I'm lowering carbs.
I'd just run an ECA stack or something similar during the 2 week cut cycle. Its long enough to get the job done, but not long enough to fry your receptors. The best of both worlds!

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I'd just run an ECA stack or something similar during the 2 week cut cycle. Its long enough to get the job done, but not long enough to fry your receptors. The best of both worlds!
Yeah, I run 25mg of ephedrine HCl 2x/day during the cut, along with a thermo. I alternate the ephedrine with yohimbine HCl during the bulk.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I wonder about this plan... 7 days today I have already lost 5 lbs..... I hope that's not to much in a week, in the sense of muscle loss. I still have another week to go.... I never really cut before, so I have always seen myself getting bigger over the years..... But is't nice to look down and see my abs showing through...... So I wounder, when you bulk for two weeks and gain 5-7 lbs and then cut for the next two weeks and lose 5-7 lbs.... Are you losing fat and gaining muscle?. I can't wait till next week when I can start bulking again... I guess that will be the test, If I can gain 5-7 lbs and still see my abs as good as they look now.... Then I must be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I think the only way to really know what you are gaining and/or losing is to do a bodyfat% assessment. That way you can figure out your body composition - how many pounds you have of lean body mass, and how many pounds are fat. If I remember what was said in the ABCDE write-up, the program is like taking 2 steps forward, and one step back. So you may add some fat in the bulk, or lose a some muscle in the cut (pretty sure I did).

Don't use those electromagnetic pulse ones to check BF%, they're the least accurate. If you don't have any, get some calipers or you may be able to have a trainer at your gym do it (while your muscles are cold, before you workout). Of course, if you had access to it, the underwater tests are the most accurate ;)

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I think the only way to really know what you are gaining and/or losing is to do a bodyfat% assessment. That way you can figure out your body composition - how many pounds you have of lean body mass, and how many pounds are fat. If I remember what was said in the ABCDE write-up, the program is like taking 2 steps forward, and one step back. So you may add some fat in the bulk, or lose a some muscle in the cut (pretty sure I did).

Don't use those electromagnetic pulse ones to check BF%, they're the least accurate. If you don't have any, get some calipers or you may be able to have a trainer at your gym do it (while your muscles are cold, before you workout). Of course, if you had access to it, the underwater tests are the most accurate ;)
Are the ones at the top right good enough? http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/products/index.html

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
That should work for you. I actually have the FatTrack Digital, so it calculates everything for me.

Our wonderful Board Sponsor NutraPlanet carries the AccuMeasure items for a good price.:thumbsup: I haven't checked the other sponsors, they may carry them, too.:think:

http://www.nutraplanet.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=73&osCsid=vp7t6hossb7da7iqocuhuokdf4
Is their site down?.... I can't even get through..... Me want's to buy one.
Ok, Just didn't work with my computer at work.... I ordered the calipers and the measuring tape.