Strengthening the supraspinatus (rotator cuff)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
The importance of a strong supraspinatus can’t be overstated enough. People ask how one could increase their bench, upping their weights in pushing movements overhead and laterally. Along with developing the triceps and lats, one must have a strong rotator strength (especially the supraspinatus), to keep building power in most overhead lifts, as well as being a integral part of rehabbing from injuries and shoulder problems.

Here’s a link to a group of exercises one could do to strenghten this area:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm

Now research has been done to see what plane of motion is bet and most effective when trying to strengthening the supraspinatus. Some suggest that the abduction in the scapular plane with an internal rotation is the best position to isolate the supraspinatus. However, others say that the prone position (with the elbow extended and the shoulder abducted to a 100 degree, and externally rotated) produced a greater EMG activity in the supraspinatus. I personally believe using an external or internal rotation to isolate the rotator area is both fine. However many articles and research shows that the abduction in the scapular plane with an internal rotation is best. In these exercises (known as the “empty can”) showed the supraspinatus had the largest increase in T2 among the muscles of the shoulder area, and also a greater in the teres minor, subscapularis, anterior, and posterior deltoid muscles.

For the flip side, the horizontal abdcution exercise, results indicated that the increase in T2 for the supraspinatus was much smaller that that for the posterior deltoid muscle.

Whatever the case might be and to argue what plane of motion and exercises are optimal for developing the strength in the supraspinatus, one should focus on bringing up their strength in this area to fully utilize the supporting muscles for numerous overhead and pushing movements.
Sage

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
BUMP! i couldnt stress this more!!!! it really will help.. excellent post sage

crazypete

Awards
alrighty, finally we're getting the structural balance bandwagon going

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
[B

Now research has been done to see what plane of motion is bet and most effective when trying to strengthening the supraspinatus. Some suggest that the abduction in the scapular plane with an internal rotation is the best position to isolate the supraspinatus. However, others say that the prone position (with the elbow extended and the shoulder abducted to a 100 degree, and externally rotated) produced a greater EMG activity in the supraspinatus. I personally believe using an external or internal rotation to isolate the rotator area is both fine. However many articles and research shows that the abduction in the scapular plane with an internal rotation is best. In these exercises (known as the “empty can”) showed the supraspinatus had the largest increase in T2 among the muscles of the shoulder area, and also a greater in the teres minor, subscapularis, anterior, and posterior deltoid muscles.
[/B]
Ha, Id like to see someone perform and empty can or scaption with weight significant enough to promote strength.

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
cud doing direct rotator cuff exercises to strengthen your rotator cuff as shown in the dorian article possibly benefit my arm for throwing in baseball, like making my throws stronger and such?

crazypete

Awards
it depends. the external rotators if lagging can keep you from gaining on your bench and pull ups. for throwing, apparently the lats are the main muscle that correlates to throwing ability. both the chest and lats are internal rotators and usually they are not weak in most people. if training for sports performance try doing all your concentric reps in an explosive fashion, even when you take up to 4 seconds for the eccentric. apparently it is more important to try to do the rep in an explosive fashion even if the weight moves slowly as long as you try to move it as fast as possible. this will give you the most performane gain over time.

cheers, pete

Nelson

Good Info

I just started doing some R/C exercises yesterday.
I had a shoulder reconstruction about 5 years ago & recently I feel that it has been hindering my progress in some pushing movements.
Here`s another link that I found useful:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis4.htm