Why cant i walk for 3 days after doing legs?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.26%

Why cant i walk for 3 days after doing legs?

Hey everyone.. Here is the down and dirty.. Im 5-10, 170lbs, 23yrs old, 5yrs of bodybuilding experience. Now as far back as i can remember when i do legs which usually consists of squats, leg extensions and stiff leg deadlifts, i cannot walk for 3 days without walking like a ****ing penguin!!

Why is this? I have tried warming up on the treadmill prior, stretching before and after, taking glutamine.. I dont know what else to do.. It hurts so bad that i dont even want to work my legs any more guys.. I hate to sound like a ***** but its to the point that trying to sit down to take a **** is difficult or even getting out of bed..

Now i dont even life anything outrageous! Im at 3-4 sets per exercise, 8-10 reps..

Anyone else experience this kind of pain or know why im expereincing it?

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ali11atc
    Hey everyone.. Here is the down and dirty.. Im 5-10, 170lbs, 23yrs old, 5yrs of bodybuilding experience. Now as far back as i can remember when i do legs which usually consists of squats, leg extensions and stiff leg deadlifts, i cannot walk for 3 days without walking like a ****ing penguin!!

Why is this? I have tried warming up on the treadmill prior, stretching before and after, taking glutamine.. I dont know what else to do.. It hurts so bad that i dont even want to work my legs any more guys.. I hate to sound like a ***** but its to the point that trying to sit down to take a **** is difficult or even getting out of bed..

Now i dont even life anything outrageous! Im at 3-4 sets per exercise, 8-10 reps..

How often do you work them out?

Adams
  3. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Hey everyone.. Here is the down and dirty.. Im 5-10, 170lbs, 23yrs old, 5yrs of bodybuilding experience.

Well the good news is you are getting younger by the day.
    sorry, im 24... I have experience in using ph's before such as 1ad and M1t..
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by B5150
    Well the good news is you are getting younger by the day.
    hahaha good call B.

Adams
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Wait another decade or so, it only gets worse.

Here is some info:
    http://www.sportsmed.info/articles/doms.html

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/01_99/muscle.htm

http://www.ajjf.org/article09.html

I have also heard that enzymes (CK, LDH to name 2) have been attributed to the cause. I have not found any concrete causes.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

It is called DOMS. You will be ok. There is a differance between soreness and pain. If you are sore, then you are ok, if you are in pain, then you need to alter your routine.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Wait another decade or so, it only gets worse.

Here is some info:
    http://www.sportsmed.info/articles/doms.html

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/01_99/muscle.htm

http://www.ajjf.org/article09.html

I have also heard that enzymes (CK, LDH to name 2) have been attributed to the cause. I have not found any concrete causes.
    Guess I should have read your links before I posted. Sorry man.
    Drew
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.08%

It was a struggle to put on my socks this morning and I loved every minute of it.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.07%

What about your diet, especially pre/post workout nutrition. Try working out w/o plenty of protein and carbs before and after and you will be in agony. I still get very sore sometimes, but w/ food/shake before and after and BCAAs during, I keep DOMS to a minimum
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.26%

sorry about the age typo.. lol. I am 23yr not 24, i just noticed that...

But my diet is in check, have a pre and post workout shake with dextrose to replace glycogen usage.. Calories are about 500 above maintance right now in order to just maintain.

Reason im asking is i see some people who lift twice the weight i do in legs, and they are fine the next day.. Some of them can even go running after their leg workouts!! There is no way i can do that.. My legs are shaking so bad when im done i couldnt even imagine trying to run.

To answer a previous question, i work my legs once a week.
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

[quote=ali11atc]
    Calories are about 500 above maintance right now in order to just maintain.quote]

You must be sislexdic, JK

Anyways, the people who are lifting more then you have probally been lifting longer then you.

How long have you been lifting? Let me rephrase, how long have you been lifting with legs? Alot of people say, I have been lifting for 3 years. Then you say, what do you squat or leg press and you get the " I dont do them, my legs are big enough" or the classic " I run instead". So yeah, how long have you been training them?
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.41%

Been training for 15 years here and doing squats the whole way except for about the last 2 years due to knee pain.

I miss my squat workouts. I miss being so sore the next few days that I can't walk normally. Going down stairs is agony. I LOVE IT.

It's always been like that. Isn't that normal when you lift hard? I thought it was. To me it just shows you're lifting right, man. But then again maybe I'm too hardcore? Or maybe that explains why I have knee problems?
  13. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    What about your diet, especially pre/post workout nutrition. Try working out w/o plenty of protein and carbs before and after and you will be in agony. I still get very sore sometimes, but w/ food/shake before and after and BCAAs during, I keep DOMS to a minimum
    Totally agree with this. I know when I didnt get enough protein for the day cause Im always sore after that.
    As long as I get plenty of protein, my DOMS is very mild.
  14. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.91%

and swap out the dextrose for slower burning carbs like oats or whole grain sources. They'll get the job done just as well only you won't be so desensitized to insulin. You might even lose some fat! and thats always a plus
    I was using dextrose too and I made the change and havn't even thought about going back
  15. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Sounds like it is diff from one person to another.

I am rarely sore after a workout. Sometimes a little bit the day or the 2nd day after but not much.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  16. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.22%

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf

Bump to that. Working out with plenty of protein and carbs should help ridding the soreness.
  17. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.11%

The key to decreasing DOMS is blood flow restoration, coupled with increased protein and quality fats intake.

Within 12-24 hours of your leg workout, you need to engage in some type of GPP activity to increase the blood flow to your legs. It doesn't have to be as complex as sled dragging or the farmer's walk-- jogging, playing basketball, or even parking your car in the furthest spot from your office building and walking briskly all help with blood flow resoration.

What works best personally for me to decrease DOMS is to hit the bike up immediately after a leg workout or to go jogging the next day. Sometimes the restoration work helps more than at other times, and its at this point that I'll check my protein and fats intake, and also make sure I'm getting plenty of sleep.

Give it a try...GPP work keeps the anabolic stimulus high (upregulated protein synthesis) and ultimately leads to quicker recovery time.
  18. $Money$
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.55%

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing
    and swap out the dextrose for slower burning carbs like oats or whole grain sources. They'll get the job done just as well only you won't be so desensitized to insulin. You might even lose some fat! and thats always a plus
    I was using dextrose too and I made the change and havn't even thought about going back
    what about mixing the low gi oats with something like a banana for the simple sugars as well?
  19. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%

BCAAs were godly for me in reducing DOMS.
  20. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

When I'm sore like that and I have to "fall" on the john, that's how I know I had a "great leg day!!" If you can't feel it, it ain't working.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.78%

STRETCH!!!

slowly, gently, thoroughly - but stretch!
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.41%

I always stretch and it never seemed to make any kind of difference when I exceptionnally didn't... ?
  23. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

What works best personally for me to decrease DOMS is to hit the bike up immediately after a leg workout or to go jogging the next day. Sometimes the restoration work helps more than at other times, and its at this point that I'll check my protein and fats intake, and also make sure I'm getting plenty of sleep.
    I second this advice! Light cardio work after your leg workout will do wonders for decreasing DOMS during the following few days.

Nutrition and supplementation are also key - you may want to re-examine your diet.

What does your leg workout look like? Maybe you're just over-doing it.

BV
  24. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Stretching is more important post workout, warm up is more important pre workout.
  25. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge
    It was a struggle to put on my socks this morning and I loved every minute of it.
    Im the same way....
    i am only eighteen but when i lift something hard i will stay sore their for a week in exteme cases, but on average around 4-5days

glutamine helps my recovery time when I first start taking it but the next two workouts the benifit fades to nothing (but an empty wallet).....yet at really high doses of glutamine my acne (its not bad but it is there) will dissapear

but anywho, i have tried everything. I drink tons of water. I stretch. I sleep more than enough. Diet is in check. vitamins and whatever......(kinda like being sore sometimes but it definitely gets old)
  26. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.91%

I've never done light stretching after i work my legs so I'll try that next time. I do warm up and the next day I do cardio first thing in the am after my workout so that gets the blood movin and diets perfect so I only get DOMS the day after leg day. The day after that i'm no longer wishing I had rails by my toilet.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.78%

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt76
    I always stretch and it never seemed to make any kind of difference when I exceptionnally didn't... ?
    depends on how you're stretching, I believe. "Stretching" by Bob Anderson could be much better, but if you haven't reviewed it, it's not a bad place to go.

The key to stretching is patience (I know: in short supply sometimes, but still); stretch, hold, breathe is the ticket

If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to work up a step-by-step stretching intro; otherwise, if you know any runners, ask them how they stretch: get them to show you. Use it PWO when you feel your legs tightening up - you'll have to adapt what they do, but it will be worth it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Okay to do cardio day after legs while ON?
    By schwellington in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 05:01 PM
  2. after increasing why cant i maintain?
    By protempsfish in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-27-2009, 01:28 PM
  3. Pain for days after inject
    By sublimejeh in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 07:32 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 04:44 AM
  5. "THE DAY AFTER"...what will PH makers do after the ban?
    By The Conqueror in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 11:47 AM