what do you guys do for shoulder training?

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
yesterday I did shoulders, and while during training I exhausted my shoulders, Today I feel I really didn't get a good workout.  I know you don't have to be sore to have had a good workout, but still I think I need some new exercises for the shoulders.

i do seated dumbell press, 1 warm up set, then 3 heavier sets

front and side delt raises

and shrugs the the ol' traps (my fav)

should I add something, here, or switch it up somehow?

what do yous do for your shoulders.

thanks

h19

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I guess you could try smith machine presses or something... I love db presses myself, they've always worked for me... you should think about using drop sets, supersets, etc. as well.

Nelson

DB Presses supersetted with Lateral Raises 3x6-10
Rear Raises supersetted with Front Raises 2x6-10
BB Shruggs supersetted with Incline DB Shruggs 2x6-10
I`m going through a superset phase right now :D

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
incline db shrugs?

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
DB military
wide-grip upright rows
lateral raises

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
well i think part of the problem is my gym and the peopel in it...i had to wait forever to do my db presses....I started out light, with 45lbs for 12.....then i went to get the 55.(only 1 set)....they were in use..then went to get the 65's instead...and of course they were in use....like wtf yous need to get more then one pair of each weight

so basically isat and "weighted" a while.

but i agree biggin, i think i will start supersetting on shoulder day. Maybe i can superset ..upright rows, with front and side raises....that might do some damage....the good kind that is

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I do:

3 sets of 8 - Seated BB overhead press

3 sets of 8 - DB rear delt raises

3 sets of 8 - DB front raises

I'll rotate rear delt raise and DB lateral raises.

dez/null

Awards
4 sets of dumbell presses
4 sets of arnold presses
4 sets of frount DB delt raises
4 sets of side delt raises
4 sets upright rows
4 sets shrugs on the trap bar.

talk to yah ;)

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
isnt arnold press and dumbell press pretty much the same..expet you rotate on teh way up with the arnold press?

crazypete

Awards
first off, the arnold press will give you a slightly different muscle recruitment pattern, so it is different, but i would use it as a an alternative (something to switch to after 6 or so workouts using dumbell shoulder press). the first routine you posted wasn't all that bad. i would switch the front db raises for rear delt raises. most of us have overdeveloped front delts and underdeveloped rear delts.

the reason you may not feel as much pain the next day is because the shoulders have a different arrangement of muscle fibers than say the chest. its really complicated and i don't think i could describe it effectively, but know that this is normal for some people. i too "feel" very little in the way of pain or soreness in my shoulders even though my db shoulder press is 80% of my flat bench. so as long as you get bigger or stronger, i wouldn't worry much about not feeling too much pain.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
h19...

i dont "feel" alot of soreness in my shoulders either. I alternate between db presses and standing mil presses. when i change up here in a coupla weeks i think i'll do seated mil...havent done those for awhile. as long as you change your routine occasionally and you can see that your shoulders are gettin stronger and are growin...thats the important thing. good luck. any chance you could train at a less crowded time?

crazypete

Awards
you guys are changing up your rep brackets too, right?

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I can train at a different time, but it would have to be later at night, which I would rather not do, since I would most likely be up most of the night.....Im already a very light sleeper and i work out around 5:30 pm...as it is......

my gym isnt that great, i go there cause its cheap. they have what you need, but just not enough of it. one row of db's ,,,,thats not enough....gotta have a few of each IMO

but i think i have underdevoloped front delts..and decent rear....check out my pics in the pics section.

h19

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
incline db shrugs?
done facing forward on an incline bench. (the front of your body rested on the bench) this puts more emphasis on the rear delt/upper back and the meat part of your traps. same effect can be had however shruging with your heads down.
shoulders and traps are without a doubt my best body part....not saying i know the secret to "boulder shoulders" but i got em :)D ) my favorite shoulder exercises include upright rows, clean and press, and behind the neck presses (standing up). the posters who suggested supersetting and dropsetting.....can get your shoulders going as well. Sage

Hal

Awards
I can't remember the name of this exercise...it was in an issue of Muscle and Fitness a year or so ago. Yeah, the mag is pretty much crap, but I picked it up in an airport. Anyway...you're doing a seated overhead press..you start with the weight in front of you and press it up just until it's over your head, then lower it to you shoulders behind your head then move it back to your starting position. It hurts like hell.

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
cuban presses are fun...wide grip...upright row to the sternum..."flip" your wrists and the bar (like doing a clean) and press up...it is different than clean and press due to the fact that you arent coming from the ground...just standing w/ the bar, and doing an upright row...

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
I can't remember the name of this exercise...it was in an issue of Muscle and Fitness a year or so ago. Yeah, the mag is pretty much crap, but I picked it up in an airport. Anyway...you're doing a seated overhead press..you start with the weight in front of you and press it up just until it's over your head, then lower it to you shoulders behind your head then move it back to your starting position. It hurts like hell.
known as "rocky presses". simply alternating front to back presses with the bar. (can be used to do lat pulldowns as well...) Sage

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
Seated Barbell Military 4x
Upright Rows 4x
Front Raises 4x
Lat Raises 4x

Supersetting the front and lat raises, the shoulders die from these!

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I believe the front raises are way overrated. The press movements are more than enough for front delts IMO.

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
The press movements are more than enough for front delts IMO.
that probably explains why I can hardly do any of em when its time to do them, they are definitly a bitch

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I always start with:
clean + presses 4 sets 8,6,4,2

My regular shoulder routine is pretty simple, heavy dumbell presses, lateral raise stripsets, Neck Press, etc.

Every 4 workouts or so, this routine helps shock those delts:

Machine military press 8,8,6,6

WideGrip Upright Row 8,8,6,6 supersetted with:
Incline Lateral Raise (on incline bench)

BentOver Lateral Raise stripset
4sets

Dumbell Shoulder Press supersetted with lateral/front raise combo
6+superset,6+superset,6+superset

After that, my delts are fried!

BigV

I hear you guys about the lack of soreness...Ill get a wicked pump but Im never really too sore the next day.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
BigV, I think I might steal your workout..lol