Push Ups??? - AnabolicMinds.com

Push Ups???

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  289 lbs.

Push Ups???

I have been thinking of doing push ups lately. I have a five day split that I do at the gym. Are push ups worth it to do at home and should I do them once a week or everyday? I can't do many push ups and am just looking for general strength gain and maybe a little mass.
    JB

2. New Member

I would do them after your chest rountine.
  3. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbthumper
    I have been thinking of doing push ups lately. I have a five day split that I do at the gym. Are push ups worth it to do at home and should I do them once a week or everyday? I can't do many push ups and am just looking for general strength gain and maybe a little mass.
    JB
    Try this to begin with:

Everytime you go into the bathroom at home, do 25 angled push-ups off the bathroom counter. Just make it a part of your routine whenever you walk into that room. Vary the angle each time to put the strain on the muscles differently each time. This won't make you look like Arnold but it will definately help with the general strength gain you're seeking and it's basically effortless (adds and extra 30-40 seconds to each bathroom trip). Before you know it, you're doing 100 angled push-ups a day.
    •   

4. Kyra Gracie= my future wife

One of my former wrestling coaches who happens to be strong as hell gave me this routine.

Everyday do three sets of pushups start with a number that's challenging but not too tough to get through. Every week and 1 more to each set. If you start at 25 then in one year you'll be doing 77 per set and 231 per day.
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mywetnightmares
    One of my former wrestling coaches who happens to be strong as hell gave me this routine.

Everyday do three sets of pushups start with a number that's challenging but not too tough to get through. Every week and 1 more to each set. If you start at 25 then in one year you'll be doing 77 per set and 231 per day.

This isnt bad, but I dont know about EVERY day. Try every other day IMO.
  6. Kyra Gracie= my future wife

It depends what your goals are, if you're mostly looking for hypertrophy then go with every other day, otherwise everyday is fine, I did stuff just as stressfull as that everyday during the season and I was fine. Doing it everyday will cut down on hypertrophy though.
  7. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.

Pushups can be varied in many different positions to hit many different muscles...

Doing standard pushups with a ultra-wide grip will hit your pecs hard and your front delts too. You can do half reps to make it really burn...

Moving your pushoff point (where your hands meet the ground relative to your body) can make a big difference as well. To burn out you can position your hands near where your stomach would contact the ground.

Another fav of mine is to put each hand on a raised part of the ground (on top of two objects at the same height). That way, when you go down, you can REALLY lower your body beyond what you normally would because the ground would have gotten in the way. It REALLY burns the chest

And diamond pushups really burn up the forearms

While getting ready for the military, I do pretty much pushups, situps, pullups of all kinds of variety... and throw in ass-to-grass squats, deadlifts, and barbell rows in to work out the rest of my body. That and run and run
    Suprisingly, I'm not losing weight, but gaining definition.... your mileage may vary though

Similar Forum Threads

1. Push-ups on off days ??
    By Stinger124 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
  2. 36 and some push up questions
    By Billabong in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 10:59 PM
  3. Push-ups on off days ??
    By Stinger124 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14