Hypertrophy due to "overcompensation of protein synthesis" & ideal TUT

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I am curious as to anyones thoughts on both the theory and the Time Under Tension per set parameter mentioned in the Greg Bradley-Popovich book Rational Strength Training: Principles & Casebook quoted below:

During the process of protein synthesis in any cell, energy is consumed in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the body's energy currency. Muscle contraction, like protein synthesis and the vast majority of other physiological processes, also consumes ATP. The moments of ATP shortage during protein synthesis (as a result of ATP being used for intense muscular contractions) are hypothesized to be of paramount importance. Supposedly, an unknown signal would report to the muscle cell nuclei ordering them to send more protein-building instructions back out into the cell. It is proposed that when a trained muscle attempts to "catch up" on its protein synthesis during rest, it inadvertently overshoots resulting in a supercompensation, or net increase, in the amount of muscle protein. The concept of this competition for energy, called the ATP Deficit Theory, is somewhat analogous to the glycogen supercompensation characteristic of trained muscles.

Evidently, to promote muscle hypertrophy, the activity must be demanding enough to produce this effect. Low intensity endurance training will not sufficiently deplete ATP stores available for protein synthesis. ATP can actually regenerate itself that quickly. Conversely, if the tension time of a set is too brief apparently under 45 seconds (although this is debatable) while implementing very heavy weights ATP is taken up quickly, but not in proportion to muscle fatigue; again resulting in lack of ATP store depletion allocated for protein synthesis. This may explain why power and Olympic lifters increase strength (via skill acquisition/adaptive coordination) without the characteristic hypertrophy of bodybuilders. Hence, in order to maximize muscle growth, it is best that sets last at least 45 seconds, but not so long (over 2 minutes) as to promote a high endurance capacity and potential overuse atrophy.

About the Author:

Dr. Greg Bradley-Popovich holds dual master's degrees in Exercise Physiology and Human Nutrition from West Virginia University as well as a doctorate in Physical Therapy from Creighton University. He is the Director of Clinical Research at Northwest Spine Management, Rehabilitation, and Sports Conditioning in Portland, Oregon.

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
Interesting stuff Meow.
Id also be very interested to hear what others have to say on this one.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks familiar :D

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
45 Seconds whew thats gonna be a bitch to get used to :( I couldnt imagine a set lasting 2 minutes, that better be some light weight

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sets in the rep range of 12-15:

3* seconds eccentric
1* seconds concentric
4* seconds per rep
x 12-15 reps = 48-60 seconds per set

I have found this to be very 'growth promoting'. I mix in your standard 4-6 rep heavy sets every 2nd or 3rd training split, sometime for consecutive splits as well. But the TUT has made considerable improvement in my muscle growth (hypertrophy).

I am aslo finding that some BP's will respond ONLY to this type of training. Trial and error has proven this to me over the least 3-4 years.

*ballpark, 1,2,3, count.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Gotta agree with B5150. Also we all probably have a fraction of a second at full contraction and another fraction of a second in 'uncontracted' position which adds up. Of course if you are just bouncing the weight than of course there is almost no time in the down or up position.

CROWLER

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I just started using this...

1 sec concentric
5 seconds (thats right :study: ) eccentric

= 6 seconds per lift

6 x 8-10 reps = 48-60 seconds.

Following this, I got a good pump in my side delts for the first time.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

3* seconds eccentric
1* seconds concentric
4* seconds per rep

I have found this to be very 'growth promoting'. I mix in your standard 4-6 rep heavy sets every 2nd or 3rd training split, sometime for consecutive splits as well. But the TUT has made considerable improvement in my muscle growth (hypertrophy).

I am aslo finding that some BP's will respond ONLY to this type of training. Trial and error has proven this to me over the least 3-4 years.

*ballpark, 1,2,3, count.
Definately going to try this, thanks B5150.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I'm also going slower on the concentric (positive) portion of the lifts. This absolutely eliminates momentum. Something like 2 seconds concentric (positive) and 4 seconds eccentric (negative) for a 6 second total per lift.

The source for Greg Bradley-Popovich is the section titled "Repetition Submaximal Resistance Method for Hypertrophy Training" from the book Fitness and Strength Training for All Sports : Theory, Methods, Programs by Jurgen Hartmann, Harold Tunnemann. This book is a translation of work originally published in former East Germany and details East German research and training techniques. It is a very interesting read.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established

3* seconds eccentric
1* seconds concentric
4* seconds per rep

*ballpark, 1,2,3, count.
Wow. That's a lot like my routine. It definately promotes growth that's for sure.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
my new routine based on "Prilepin's Hypertrophy Gains" makes each set pretty long. im doing 4-1-2-1 and 3-0-2-0 for 6 and 10 reps. my muscles really feel hit and im doing light weight.