decline bench

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. i never have any of my client do decline bench. there have been a few studies done on decline bench vs. flat bench. and in actuallity flat bench recruits more lower pec muscle fibers than decline bench does, this was all gauged by muscle stimulation devices i believe called emg. not sure. im not to good at pulling things off the web, but im sure you could do a search on google and get the exact studies. but as far as decline i think its ok, for something different, but i still think risk outweigh benefits on it.

2. also been studies which put the decline as recruiting most muscle fiber (by %), over both the flat and incline..... again, had read this in the past. however, i think more along your long institution. i feel strongly that to emphasize the lower pectoral, dips is far superior over a declein pressing motion.....the reason why i choose dips over decline bench, and not b/c flat presses statistically incorporates more muscle fiber.
    Sage
    •   

3. Originally posted by motleybreu

flyes are very bad for you and can cause injury...they're overrated IMO
    Only if done incorrectly. This week, look around at the guys, or the one or two girls, doing them and notice that most use the wrong technique. The motion should be as if you were hugging a barrel; arms always bend. At the apex of the motion, if done correctly, you should feel the inner pecs working to maintain stability. That's when you know you're doing them correctly.

I could never stop doing them. They have been the cornerstone of my chest workouts for years. There is such an incredible feeling of accomplishment to manhandle a pair of 100 pounds dumbells when doing flies - correctly. Dips are okay but there are too many opportunities to cheat and just because a guy, or incredibly strong girl, can strap 135 to a chain and do dips is bull**** for making this a good lower chest exercise. Most of the lift is generated by the triceps, which in and of itself is not bad; just not a pec workout.

Regardless, the best workout for the lower chest remains the overhead pullover. Nautilus used to make a machine that replicated the motion perfectly. Most gyms do not have the machine so do the exercise with a dumbell with your shoulders on a flat bench. Lift the dumbell up and over your head to your chest and return over your head. For a better explanation, here's a link off MAX-OT's site.

http://www.ast-ss.com/training/exerc...pull_overs.asp

Cheers

4. Originally posted by Tamacracker
    Finally I knw how to work out my lower inner chest! Thank you!!!
    Close grip decline bench right?
    ...No, you don't. There is no inner or outer chest, and the upper/lower delineation is negligible. The pecs contract as one. You can't 'isolate' any region of the chest, especially one that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by institutional
    i never have any of my client do decline bench. there have been a few studies done on decline bench vs. flat bench. and in actuallity flat bench recruits more lower pec muscle fibers than decline bench does
    Err... declines involve the delts to a much lesser degree, leaving more work for the other muscles used.

Originally posted by mit
    Regardless, the best workout for the lower chest remains the overhead pullover.
    You're joking, right? Pullovers work the pectoralis minor, the muscle involved in taking a big chest expanding breath, and in pulling the shoulder girdle downwards (a conunterpart to the traps). The pectoralis major's only involvement would be when you're holding the weight in front of you... static hold single DB press... w00t.

5. "Err... declines involve the delts to a much lesser degree, leaving more work for the other muscles used."

errr whats your point? i just pointed out many people think decline is a way of targeting your lower pec region better than flat bench press, and its not. im not arguing any points about the delts.
    •   

6. My point is that, as less work is being done by the delts, more work is being done by the other primary movers. This I already stated. Now, quite logically, because they're doing more work.........................

they're doing more work.................

wait, what am I trying to say...................

the pecs are doing more work.

Because the delts are doing less.

So it's recruiting more fibers.

Weeeeeee.

7. not neccessarily guy. decline recruits much more lats than flat bench also. study some kinesiology, you'll see what i mean.

8. Well thanks for the subtle implication to my lack of knowledge on the subject. However, your vague statements about the studies you read and, what's it called... emg... (teehee) kind of obviate your attempts at appearing erudite.

Anyway, as sage pointed out, there are many studies showing just the opposite of your remembrance.

Don't take it personally. I'm in a vicious mood.

9. bro, get off line if your in a vicious mood. your posting style is obnoxious and rude. i dont got time for it. i agree with sage , that it goes both ways, fine. nevermind,

10. Eh, like I said, don't take it personally. I don't disagree. =)

Fair enough.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Decline Bench
    By aries70 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 02:26 AM
  2. Decline bench really needed?
    By Flay in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 02:13 AM
  3. No decline bench what do you do?