prove them wrong!

  1. Banned
    WiNgS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    27
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    96.94%

    Exclamation prove them wrong!


    hi guys, just had 2 science lessons and both my teachers said that taking growth hormone makes you grow taller, of course this is bull**** but they are aragont enough to say that it does, im gonna bring in a study 2morrow to prove them wrong can you please give me some evidence that would shut them up!

  2. New Member
    Draven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    36
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    353
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    9.45%

    As far as I know Growth Hormone (GH) WILL make you grow taller prior to your growth plates closing. Meaning still in your teen years.
  3. New Member
    bellx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    60.56%

    Originally posted by Draven
    As far as I know Growth Hormone (GH) WILL make you grow taller prior to your growth plates closing. Meaning still in your teen years.
    I heard that too ... PRIOR to your growth plates closing ...

    do a search on a couple of boards for hgh and you should find some articles that have a little insite into this
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    Lifeguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    30
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    448
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    60.41%

    Originally posted by WiNgS
    hi guys, just had 2 science lessons and both my teachers said that taking growth hormone makes you grow taller, of course this is bull**** but they are aragont enough to say that it does, im gonna bring in a study 2morrow to prove them wrong can you please give me some evidence that would shut them up!
    Like what the other guys said, GH will make your bones grow before the epiphiseal (sp?) growth plates solidify.  So your teachers were right  ...

    I know that you are still in High School, so the teachers were referring to the growth effects of GH in Teens/adolesents, not full grown adults...again, they were right.

    Even if you are fully grown, GH will make the bones in your face, hands and feet grow larger/longer than normal depending on dosage and cycle length...again, right

    Moral of the story:  Just because the majority of teachers are generally unfamiliar with hormones and their pharmocological effects on the body, does not mean that they cant put 2 and 2 together (i.e Growth Hormone = growth )
  5. Banned
    WiNgS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    27
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    96.94%

    Re: Re: prove them wrong!


    Originally posted by Lifeguard


    Like what the other guys said, GH will make your bones grow before the epiphiseal (sp?) growth plates solidify.  So your teachers were right  ...

    I know that you are still in High School, so the teachers were referring to the growth effects of GH in Teens/adolesents, not full grown adults...again, they were right.

    Even if you are fully grown, GH will make the bones in your face, hands and feet grow larger/longer than normal depending on dosage and cycle length...again, right

    Moral of the story:  Just because the majority of teachers are generally unfamiliar with hormones and their pharmocological effects on the body, does not mean that they cant put 2 and 2 together (i.e Growth Hormone = growth )
    DOH! but hold on a sec.....so since squats, deads and other fullbody movements like pull -ups release more GH, does that mean these movements can make you taller? that doesnt sound right to me... and if you take something like gaba or zma then you will grow taller aswell? i doubt it.....im confused
  6. Elite Member
    Matthew D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,014
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    well in theory it could make you taller, I don't know if I have seen a document case of weight training increasing the height of kids, but it would be an interesting study, you would have to use all of the under height kids in a larger school divide them into groups and then go from there, now that sounds like a basic starting point for someones master's thesis...
    now as for lifeguard's statement.. most HS teachers do only answer based on the age of the student but I know I always attempt to qualify my answers to make sure that if there is an exception they know about it.. just so they don't look like an ass if they repeat it word for word.
  7. Banned
    WiNgS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    27
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    96.94%

    Originally posted by Matthew D
    well in theory it could make you taller, I don't know if I have seen a document case of weight training increasing the height of kids, but it would be an interesting study, you would have to use all of the under height kids in a larger school divide them into groups and then go from there, now that sounds like a basic starting point for someones master's thesis...
    now as for lifeguard's statement.. most HS teachers do only answer based on the age of the student but I know I always attempt to qualify my answers to make sure that if there is an exception they know about it.. just so they don't look like an ass if they repeat it word for word.
    so in actual fact.... for the myth "weight lifting stunts growth"....it can actually promote it!?
  8. Elite Member
    Matthew D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,014
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    From what I understand it should.. you might use the search function at the bottom to see if there is some reseach already done...
  9. Advanced Member
    Lifeguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    30
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    448
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    60.41%

    Hmm...this is a very interesting discussion now...

    I never really thought of this...

    Squats, deads, rows and other compound exercises not only release GH, so in the long term, these multiple exercise-induced GH/Test bursts could result in increased bone growth/development...

    As a matter of fact I was reading in the library today on how "thereputic" doses of Test Cypionate and enanthate are used to stimulate growth and puberty in boys...heh..kinda funny that y'all were talkin about this while I was reading about it
  10. New Member
    dez/null's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Age
    30
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    221
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

    personally I think its genetical on how tall you get and that how the growth hormone is actually USED depends on the person. For example if I lift weight im triggering my body into building muscle. thus the body (if im under the use of hGH) will trigger hyperplastia thus increaseing muscle size. It hasn't been proven that hGH is anabolic. Tho it increases muscle size does not mean it increases test and so forth.

    Personally I wouldn't touch the **** without insulin or IGF-1 cycled togeather.
  11. New Member
    dez/null's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Age
    30
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    221
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

    As for lifting increaseing hight. I doubt it. I wouldn't be 5'2 then. It's all genetics.
  12. Elite Member
    Matthew D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,014
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Well dez, you might have been only 5 foot if you hadn't lifted
  13. Banned
    WiNgS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    27
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    96.94%

    i think the real question here is "how much taller can it make you"? i doubt we are talking inches
  14. Elite Member
    Matthew D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,014
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    true there wings but I had to mess with dez just had to
  15. New Member
    dez/null's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Age
    30
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    221
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

    Who said I was only going to be 5 foot?

    My dad was is 5'5 I suspect I will grow no taller.
  16. Senior Member
    windwords7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,297
    Rep Power
    1556
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    32.25%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Originally posted by dez/null
    Who said I was only going to be 5 foot?

    My dad was is 5'5 I suspect I will grow no taller.
    My dad is 5' 9" and I'm only 5' 2". So you can't count on that.
  17. Elite Member
    Matthew D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,014
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    True and my dad was 5'9" and I am 6', my twin is 6'1" and my sister is 5'7"
  18. Senior Member
    Scottyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,001
    Rep Power
    643
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    60.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    If I am not mistaken, need to dig up a few articles, but a big reason that core lifting does not increase height is due to the fact that the duration of the GH release is short, much shorter then GH injections. Further, the amount is predicatibly less and thus no growth. Also, some people argue that the compression generated from weight lifitng on young adolescents can stunt one's growth. Until I see better studies, I think its just an excuse to let kids do what they want, ie eat twinkies and get fat.
  19. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,471
    Rep Power
    882
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    30.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    whats that kid bodybuilders name? HEs like ripped as hell...damn i see him on talk shows and stuff..anyway...lets just see how tall he is when hes older.
  20. New Member
    dez/null's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Age
    30
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    221
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    52.93%

    Originally posted by windwords7


    My dad is 5' 9" and I'm only 5' 2". So you can't count on that.
     

    How tall was your mother?

    Remember genetics. its all or nothing.
  21. Senior Member
    Scottyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,001
    Rep Power
    643
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    60.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Also height of grandparents matters. Recessive genes and all that blah blah blah. Ill let the scientists discuss genome mapping and all that etc.
  22. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,471
    Rep Power
    882
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    30.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    but whats that kids name...anyone know?
  23. New Member
    Zen_Lifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    151
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    83.25%

    Richard Sandlak (not sure on the spelling of the last name)
  24. New Member
    kelsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    344
    Rep Power
    306
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    6.92%

    Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    whats that kid bodybuilders name? HEs like ripped as hell...damn i see him on talk shows and stuff..anyway...lets just see how tall he is when hes older.

    that kid will not grow over 5'

    i knew a kid his brothers were all 6ft+

    he was the only one that lifted for wrestling including all of his starving, he was 5'6
    he has even admitted he thinks because of his early(12-16)
    maximal lifting stunted his growth.
  25. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1264
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kelsey
    that kid will not grow over 5'

    i knew a kid his brothers were all 6ft+

    he was the only one that lifted for wrestling including all of his starving, he was 5'6
    he has even admitted he thinks because of his early(12-16)
    maximal lifting stunted his growth.
    Your saying it was the lifting and not the starving that stunted his growth? If your not eating it doesn't matter what you do, you ain't gonna be six feet.
  26. LunaHotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    47
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    301
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    40.83%

    I'm with you Scottyo, there are really NO studies that prove or make it very reasonable to think that lifting heavy weights will stunt growth. OTOH, I'll bet that the last million or so years has seen young children do all kinds of heavy physical labour... Maybe parents are just really scared at the idea of a 13-year-old that dominates them physically.....

    From what we know of the body's functioning, it tends to REACT to the stimulus given it, quite opposite from just showing sings of having received it... Just like tanning, growing muscle, or even those creams that are supposed to hydrate the ladies' skin and make it wrinkle-free, that actually weaken its internal regenerative abilities... Making it eventually more wrinkled... Just like shaving, that makes the hair all that much harder and quicker-growing... etc. etc. etc.

    Oh, and WiNgS, that avatar is DISTRACTING
  27. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,701
    Rep Power
    513134
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    85.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I can't help thinking of the female gymnasts at the Olympics. STUNTED is pretty much stamped on their odd little foreheads. Those ladies train from the time they can walk and when they're 26 they look like they are 9. Freaky.

    I do think there is truth to heavy lifting or over training possibly stunting growth. We see it in ancient cultures and third world culture sof today however those situations are generally coupled with low protein , calorie restricted environments.

    exogenous GH + protein + adequate rest will equal growth prior to the gorwth plates closing.

    Endogenous GH + low calories/protein + inadequate rest..I'm betting this will lead to stunting.
  28. Ectomorph man
    Bean's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    633
    Rep Power
    461
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    48.25%

    actually over the past 2-3 years of training i've gained about .5-1 inch in height
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 11:55 PM
  2. Schwellingtin sets out to prove IBE wrong (sponsord)
    By schwellington in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 238
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM
  4. whats wrong with this pic
    By shady in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 10:31 AM
  5. love them pudding
    By sage in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2002, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in